Contract structure and trades

Verdict

Reaction score
It seems as though most contrasts delay cap hits as long as possible, with the final year of deals having the biggest salary and of course the largest cap hit. At some point I think for a player who is likely to have a third contract coming up (where they may still have significant value to another team) it may be worth it to structure the contract with the same amount of guaranteed money but no bonus, or maybe a roster bonus.

I say this because let's say you have a guy who you would cut in that final year and eat the unallocated signing bonus as dead money on a normal type of deal. That guy is going to be a cut, the team gets nothing for him in terms of comp picks and he can't be traded because of his contract.

If the contract is more front loaded it doesn't really help your cap in the early years, but at the end that player's contract is below market value and could become a player worth acquiring because of his contract.

While I don't think this is a viable theory across the board, it may be worth it to set up a few contracts like this and move he player for picks in their final year, or let them actually play out that last year and hit the market as a free agent and get a comp pick out of him.

conner01

Reaction score
It seems as though most contrasts delay cap hits as long as possible, with the final year of deals having the biggest salary and of course the largest cap hit. At some point I think for a player who is likely to have a third contract coming up (where they may still have significant value to another team) it may be worth it to structure the contract with the same amount of guaranteed money but no bonus, or maybe a roster bonus.

I say this because let's say you have a guy who you would cut in that final year and eat the unallocated signing bonus as dead money on a normal type of deal. That guy is going to be a cut, the team gets nothing for him in terms of comp picks and he can't be traded because of his contract.

If the contract is more front loaded it doesn't really help your cap in the early years, but at the end that player's contract is below market value and could become a player worth acquiring because of his contract.

While I don't think this is a viable theory across the board, it may be worth it to set up a few contracts like this and move he player for picks in their final year, or let them actually play out that last year and hit the market as a free agent and get a comp pick out of him.
Ware was an example of structure forcing you to move on. Had his contract been spread over the years he probably finishes his career here, or you could have atleast got something in a trade
Backloads really help today, hurt tomorrow

glimmerman

Reaction score
We always do a good job restructuring things and freeing up money. And have been spending responsibly. Don’t blow it now. We are starting to get out from underneath some of the bad contract signings.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ware was an example of structure forcing you to move on. Had his contract been spread over the years he probably finishes his career here, or you could have atleast got something in a trade
Backloads really help today, hurt tomorrow

Ware was an example of how it is better to cut a guy a year too early rather than a year too late

conner01

Reaction score
Ware was an example of how it is better to cut a guy a year too early rather than a year too late
Exactly with back loaded deals
But had he got paid upfront more of it than so much later he would have been worth keeping
I guess you can’t front load them all but the guys you think are candidates for playing out or even getting a 3rd contract it makes sense
Also had ware not been so expensive you could have got something in a trade

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DWare was the perfect contract

He was well paid but earned every dollar

DAL would have saved more by keeping DWare than cutting him so he was not a cap casualty.... DAL simply thought he wasn't worth 12m base salary any more in a 43 and they were right

He got 10 sacks for DEN for 10m and Mincey got 6 sacks for us for 1m

The only mistake was not trading him.... the underestimated the market