Controversial thoughts

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The QB class this year will be a steaming pile of crap. Lawrence won't live up to the hype, Fields is overhyped, and Wilson is Manziel part 2.

Add your own...
I rather agree with this.
I think Lawrence is wayyy overhyped as a prospect. Really good prospect and worthy of 1 overall but generational talk was premature.
He's got a lot of the same issues in his game that Carson Wentz has with far better health.
He's a bit long and and bit stiff. He's very fast but he's not elusive. He was super well trained with footwork and fundamentals before his freshman season but he looks like the same player now.
He has a lot of the same traits as DeShaun Watson in looking for perfect plays to develop.

Wilson is interesting but he's to me like Baker Mayfield. A playmaker type who beat up outmatched defenses. His numbers dropped a decent bit versus legit top 20 type defenses.
The Coastal Carolina game wasn't that great and he struggled with Utah and Tennessee in 2019.
Interesting player who could end up very much like Romo. A gunslinger who will carry you but also have a back breaking TO every now and then.

Justin Fields I have watched since the netflix show QB1. He's an insane athletic profile but has some Cam Newton to his game. 1 read then power run. An OC who will maximize his skillset is very important but the upside is insane.

I can't really speak to Lance. Lower level of comp and no real viewing ops of note.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
controversial thoughts:
I think it is far softer QB class than fans realize. But there is a reason NFL teams are trying to trade for vets and offering high draft picks to do so.
I think Kyle Pitts is wildly overrated by fans and some scouts. He's not going to fit every system, blocks without any leverage or lower body strength and struggles to get off press coverage. BUT in the perfect system he could be ROY. He'd need to be an hback type used on the move and with a traditional TE doing the dirty work.But he is without doubt a serious red zone target.
I think Parsons will underwhelm in the NFL. You are going to lose a lot of his play-making when you ask him to fill an actual NFL LB role. I do think he'll be a fine starter for you long term but the kind of guy you wonder why you drafted top half of round 1.
I think WR will surprise us much as it did when Jefferson rose to the top of heap last year. The rack and stack at WR is so personal and flavor based. Who does best will depend a lot on the system/fit they go to.

I'm a fan of the CB and OT classes. Think you can get good day 1 players in those positions well into low round 2.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That would be 16. Problem was, our DLine. We should've been putting Rodgers on his bum. Instead, we gave him plenty of time to peruse the field. Sickening.

It's both lines, not just one.

I agree. Not being able to stop a one-legged Rodgers is inexcusable.

But ... sometimes, a team has to rely on its strongest unit. Clearly, with Romo, Murray, Witten, Dez and this AWESOME offensive line, our strongest unit was offense.

So whether we like it or not, they've got to give a little extra to compensate for a clear deficiency. They (the offensive players) did not. And, here again, I believe that was because we didn't have the culture or coaching that could give us an edge. It has happened before.

Look at the Giants. They have Eli as a quarterback and didn't have to top defense in any of their Super Bowl runs. But their coaching and culture combined at the right time for Super Bowl runs and victories.

Or look at the Bucs. They got blown out by the Saints and didn't play a game at home in the post-season. Yet they had that "something" that gelled at the right time (whether it was Brady's winning aura or something else, I don't know) and they're now in the Super Bowl.

You can look at a number of teams that didn't win the No. 1 seed in the playoffs but had success in the playoffs because of that intangible element that goes beyond talent.

We somehow are always waiting to become a complete team on all sides of the ball before we take that next step. And truth be told, we may not EVER assemble a complete team in all phases. So we're going to need that something extra to get to the top.

And, right now, I just don't see it. Our coaching staff and culture simply don't give us an edge. :(

J-man

Reaction score
The Jets trade back, but only 1 spot to Mia and take either OT Sewell
The Phins trade Tua to Philly for pick 7. They take Wilson at 2 and OT Slater at 7.
Fields will be ave, at best.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i still say notre dame de daelin hayes will be a pro bowler his rookie year.
something about him i like.

fsu dt marvin wilson will be an excellent pro.
most don't but i like the guy.

people will regret passing on washington cb keith taylor.

miami,oh s mike brown will be a star.

iowa ot alaric jackson will challenge for best ot from this class 5yrs from now.
he is country back-woods strong and has a demeanor to match.
can slide inside to og and be right at home.

ohio st rb trey sermon will be the best back from this draft.