Cooking Competition for a Job?

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
If a potential employer put you up to cooking competition for a job, what would you cook for them?

This a serious question, a friend of mine is being challenged as we speak, what would you cook?

BTW, it's a catering job.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Signals;5033126 said:
If a potential employer put you up to cooking competition for a job, what would you cook for them?

This a serious question, a friend of mine is being challenged as we speak, what would you cook?

BTW, it's a catering job.

Do I have any ingredients I want to work with?

I'd probably sneak a real chef into my kitchen.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Hoofbite;5033141 said:
Do I have any ingredients I want to work with?

I'd probably sneak a real chef into my kitchen.
I'm sure they have a fully stocked kitchen, it's a catering company.

Thatkidbob

Reaction score
I make an excellent rigatoni with Italian sausage.

Just slice and cook the sausage (use seasoning salt, garlic & red peppers), doctor up some preggo with a decent sweet red, garlic, red pepper, black pepper and a bit of salt, use de cecco rigatoni (it's on an entirely different level, taste & texture wise, compared to the other brands I've tried), and top it liberally with Parmesan.

Serve with garlic bread & wine.

Be careful not to over do it with the red peppers.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Choose something that shows off his knife skills, range and creativity. I wouldn't go too fancy though with lots of components, that can lead to errors quickly.

Sometimes simplicity is best, just make sure it is perfect if that direction is chosen. Also, stay current with the times and do not go retro.

I would go steak/tuna tartar(current and shows knife skills) or some kind of baked fish with succotash and a nice sauce(because it is important to cook seafood well for catering and know how to keep warm w/o drying it out).

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
This is a very common request for hiring someone for a kitchen position. Especially if it's a higher-end position, where that person is going to need to be a "floater" ie work most any station in a kitchen.

I always asked ppl I hired for these type of jobs to do two things:

1) A classic French omelet. (bring me a single fold, egg-pancake and you're out!)
2) A soup from scratch of their choice. (the only thing I let them use, if they chose to, was any of our house-made stocks, broths or demi-glace)