Cooper upgrading his Rubik's Cube game

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I never picked one up with the intention of figuring it out. I decided teaching myself how to whistle was the the route I would take and gosh darnit I am still trying!

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
When I was a kid I could do a 3x3 in 42.7 seconds. It's just a matter of memorizing a couple dozen move orders and learning to recognize which move orders to apply and in which order and then doing so quickly.

These bigger cubes are mostly novelties. First you get all the inner pieces to be one color, then you get all the same colored edge pieces connected. Then, you move these blocks of center pieces, edge pieces around as though they were a single piece: in short, you're just solving a 3x3, but with a few additional steps beforehand.

You can buy speed solve stickers to replace the normal ones that have a slightly higher grip to them, and you can also grease a cube with cooking spray. My speed cube was optimized like this and I could just flick it and make a layer spin.

Getting below 40 seconds usually requires a more advanced set of patterns. Instead of 27 routines to memorize there's about 125. The additional routines allow you to solve 2 layers at a time before conquering the 3rd, as opposed to doing each layer individually.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was a kid I figured out how to solve a 3x3 Rubik's cube in less than 60 seconds.

Over time I got even faster at it because the individual pieces popped out and went back in much easier :D

:muttley:
When I was a kid I could do a 3x3 in 42.7 seconds. It's just a matter of memorizing a couple dozen move orders and learning to recognize which move orders to apply and in which order and then doing so quickly.

These bigger cubes are mostly novelties. First you get all the inner pieces to be one color, then you get all the same colored edge pieces connected. Then, you move these blocks of center pieces, edge pieces around as though they were a single piece: in short, you're just solving a 3x3, but with a few additional steps beforehand.

You can buy speed solve stickers to replace the normal ones that have a slightly higher grip to them, and you can also grease a cube with cooking spray. My speed cube was optimized like this and I could just flick it and make a layer spin.

Getting below 40 seconds usually requires a more advanced set of patterns. Instead of 27 routines to memorize there's about 125. The additional routines allow you to solve 2 layers at a time before conquering the 3rd, as opposed to doing each layer individually.

We had a "Rubik's Cube Off" when I was in High School. It was an officially hosted event by the school with everyone attending in the Gym.

I was too busy with Girls, building Hot Rods and Partying too have even touched a Rubik's cube, but there were some dude's in the competition that could do the Cube really fast.

I have no idea if they were 42 seconds fast because it was a long time ago, but we got out of class which was always a good idea.

In more recent years, my Stepson peeled the color labels off and rearranged them to "solve" the cube...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to beat up nerds that played with Rubik's cubes. Sorry Waldoputty