Coples

RS12

Reaction score
Sturm just said he was told Cowboys wont touch him because of his motor. FWIW. Had a tweet to that effect this weekend.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
and why should they? imo, you shouldn't gamble on questionable players until you have a solid foundation. i think that's what we are working on now. once you have a solid foundation you can start taking risks on those questionable players.

robert70x7

Reaction score
Bob is my leader. I love his philosophy on BPA shouldn't be the end all, be all drafting strategy and with your first pick you have to take a player that can come in and make an impact immediately. These are turning into two great segments.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I remember during the Senior Bowl, there was a play where he got to the QB, threw him down and the ref called a foul on him for roughing. You could see him get mad.

The next play, he absolutely abused his man and got another clean sack. I mean it looked effortless.

That's a big problem for me. The fact that it took him getting mad for him to turn it up. I love his skills, but we need guys that are going 100% on every down.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Using "motor" as a standard should mean poe is off our board as well.

rocboy22

Reaction score
Teague31;4502267 said:

He may be. I don't believe any reports out there until I hear a name called on draft day.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Mayock said on Path to the Draft tonight that he probably wouldn't even draft Couples in the 2nd round because his film from last year is garbage. He couldn't find a single game of good tape on him last year. Every "draft expert" that I trust actually watches and breaks down extensive tape themselves rather than just repeating what they've heard other people say seem to hate the guy.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Teague31;4502267 said:

That was going to be my only comment on this as well, except I was going to add the name Ta'amu to it. I puke in my mouth every time I see his name show up on a mock.

JBS

Reaction score
Except poor motor and Poe dont go hand in hand..Lack of effort isn't a problem w Poe

AKATheRake

Reaction score
TheCount;4502262 said:
I remember during the Senior Bowl, there was a play where he got to the QB, threw him down and the ref called a foul on him for roughing. You could see him get mad.

The next play, he absolutely abused his man and got another clean sack. I mean it looked effortless.

That's a big problem for me. The fact that it took him getting mad for him to turn it up. I love his skills, but we need guys that are going 100% on every down.

That's why you go after guys like Mark Barron, Dont'a Hightower and Ronnell Lewis.

Guys that come hard every play and impose their will on the football field relentlessly.

If Janoris Jenkins and Dontaze Burfict didn't have off field problems or character concerns those are 2 other defenders that let you know they're on the field at their respective positions.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I dunno, me personally, i'll find it hard to pass on him if he's there at 14.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4503383 said:
Except poor motor and Poe dont go hand in hand..Lack of effort isn't a problem w Poe

If Poe was giving full effort every play, then there is a big problem. Go watch some of his games and you will see that he totally disappeared at times, even against lessor talented opponents.

Maybe its just me, but if you are playing La Tech and you basically do nothing all game.........you are not a high 1st round pick.

You are either all hype and you cant do jack when the game actually starts, or this tells me that you are taking downs off because the game is in the bag.

FootballCorner

Reaction score
I have made this argument before on other message boards, but Poe's issue is not lack of effort. A lot of it is pure lack of technique. He is exceptionally raw. He will often dip his shoulder and drive into gaps, trying to get skinny and blow by the blocker. I cannot understand why, in 3 years of coaching, they never taught him to use the raw power he possess. I mean, if you do not use your hands, how can you possibly translate that power to the field?

His DL coach has came out in the past few weeks and stated he was not used properly. Poe has said himself that while preparing for the combine, he worked with Da'John Harris and Harris taught him some techniques for handling blockers he had never even seen. Harris does this in less than 2 months. His DL coach did not do it in 3 years. That says something about the level of coaching he received.

People often get on his level of competition, but he faced Houston, Southern Miss, UCF, and some other good mid-range schools each year. In addition, he played Tennessee twice, Miss State twice, and Ole Miss once, not exactly pushovers.

He also did not get much help. One draftnik I talk with regularly likened it to Sisyphus (Greek mythology) and I think he hit that analogy. Sisyphus was the king that was sentenced to push the boulder up the hill, only to watch it roll back down, then repeat the feat everyday. Poe worked hard every play, only to see the QB throw a WR screen that goes for 10. The next play, they run off tackle for 12. I have watched plays where he pushes 3 yards deep, the RB sees him, cuts back into the lane he creates, nobody fills and the RB goes 40 yards without a hand being on him. Yet, he keeps rolling the boulder up the hill.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hailmary;4503410 said:
I dunno, me personally, i'll find it hard to pass on him if he's there at 14.

I agree - he is value there.

He was great his Junior year.

He has great athletic ability and is a natural pass rusher with size, speed and pass rush moves.

Guys like this are hard to find. He would have been a top 5 draft pick with a better senior year.

Pass rushers are so hard to find that he is worth the risk because of Pro Bowl upside, 12 sack/year potential.

I really believe a good DC and a good DL coach will return him to his Junior form. The kid probably just got depressed because of everything falling apart around him. These ex-Miami Hurricane (Butch Davis) guys have a tendency to cause college football programs to fall apart.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
FootballCorner;4503518 said:
I have made this argument before on other message boards, but Poe's issue is not lack of effort. A lot of it is pure lack of technique. He is exceptionally raw. He will often dip his shoulder and drive into gaps, trying to get skinny and blow by the blocker. I cannot understand why, in 3 years of coaching, they never taught him to use the raw power he possess. I mean, if you do not use your hands, how can you possibly translate that power to the field?

His DL coach has came out in the past few weeks and stated he was not used properly. Poe has said himself that while preparing for the combine, he worked with Da'John Harris and Harris taught him some techniques for handling blockers he had never even seen. Harris does this in less than 2 months. His DL coach did not do it in 3 years. That says something about the level of coaching he received.

People often get on his level of competition, but he faced Houston, Southern Miss, UCF, and some other good mid-range schools each year. In addition, he played Tennessee twice, Miss State twice, and Ole Miss once, not exactly pushovers.

He also did not get much help. One draftnik I talk with regularly likened it to Sisyphus (Greek mythology) and I think he hit that analogy. Sisyphus was the king that was sentenced to push the boulder up the hill, only to watch it roll back down, then repeat the feat everyday. Poe worked hard every play, only to see the QB throw a WR screen that goes for 10. The next play, they run off tackle for 12. I have watched plays where he pushes 3 yards deep, the RB sees him, cuts back into the lane he creates, nobody fills and the RB goes 40 yards without a hand being on him. Yet, he keeps rolling the boulder up the hill.

I agree with some of what your saying to a point but a lot of what goes into trying to determine what kind of player you will have at the next level goes into finding out what the people who have worked with him back to even his highschool days think of the prospect.

Poe has been labeled as "lazy", "sloppy", "unmotivated", "hard to coach" and as one of his own team mates told a scout, "you need to keep your foot on his throat".

Maybe it's a deep combination of both but you have to look at the resolve of the prospect and figure out even with the right coaching will he use it and accept it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
My biggest issue with Poe is that he plays defensive tackle like a "nice guy" rather than playing like a bully. He shows no alpha male killer instinct to me. I get that he didn't receive the greatest coaching, but at some point when you're lined up against a 280 lbs. offensive guard from Tulsa you should completely bowl him over at least a few times a game when you outweigh him by 70 lbs. That 280 lbs. guard from Tulsa isn't playing with perfect technique every snap.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Eskimo;4503541 said:
I agree - he is value there.

He was great his Junior year.

He has great athletic ability and is a natural pass rusher with size, speed and pass rush moves.

Guys like this are hard to find. He would have been a top 5 draft pick with a better senior year.

Pass rushers are so hard to find that he is worth the risk because of Pro Bowl upside, 12 sack/year potential.

I really believe a good DC and a good DL coach will return him to his Junior form. The kid probably just got depressed because of everything falling apart around him. These ex-Miami Hurricane (Butch Davis) guys have a tendency to cause college football programs to fall apart.

All this, and I think a no nonsense coach like Red and high motor guys like Ware and Ratliff will all be good influence on this kid and bring out all the potential.