cordarrelle patterson or tavon austin

jblaze2004

Reaction score
lets say both are starring us in the face at 18. Cooper and warmack are gone. Lets say we filled the need at guard in FA.

Which of these two wr would you pick and why?

Patterson for me. He is quick, fast and has that make you miss ability. Can return kicks and punts. Plus he is bigger to replace miles austin. He can even be a gadget player at his size. He can throw the ball. Him and dez whoa.

only thing about patterson is his hands need alittle work.
[youtube]rIXqAtF1--M[/youtube]

tavon austin is just electric, speeeeeeeeddddddd. Desean jackson skill set.. But the boy has swagg. He can play the slot and look out. He is someone who can get open quick. Run screens and etc. Our deep threat to take the top off the defense. He will be going against teams 3 cb, good luck.
[youtube]T3_UNFZHSQU[/youtube]

discuss.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I'm taking Vaccaro in that case. I can't justify a WR in rd 1 who I don't think will have a higher grade than Vaccaro.

RS12

Reaction score
Stud WR's are more valuable than stud slot receivers. Dez has both an off field history and an injury history. Miles will never be considered Iron Man. Austin's ST ability make it close but I say Patterson.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;5015614 said:
I'm taking Vaccaro in that case. I can't justify a WR in rd 1 who I don't think will have a higher grade than Vaccaro.

you must of missed when I said between these 2. lol. IDK if there is a safety worth taking in the first round in this years draft. Vaccaro kind of scares me. He takes bad angles and misses too many tackles. And is pretty slow, 4.63 40:eek: . But he is a big hitter I would love.

IDK if we can get by with 2 big hitter safeties that are slow running 4.6's.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
jblaze2004;5015624 said:
you must of missed when I said between these 2. lol. IDK if there is a safety worth taking in the first round in this years draft. Vaccaro kind of scares me. He takes bad angles and misses too many tackles. And is pretty slow, 4.63 40:eek: . But he is a big hitter I would love.

IDK if we can get by with 2 big hitter safeties that are slow running 4.6's.

I'm very interested to see how he does at his pro day. He can cover in the slot and has very good range from all the games i've watched. I was very surprised to see him run so slow at the combine. I have not noticed that many bad angles from him. His tackling does worry me though, doesn't always wrap up.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between those two...Tavon Austin and it's not even close.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I love Austin, but guys with Patterson's athletic abillity who can run routes outside the hashmarks in a pro style offense are pretty rare, which is why he'll be drafted ahead of Austin.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That would be a very tough choice.

Austin is electric. But I wonder if in the hstory of the draft a slot recevier has ever been taken that high?

Patterson seems more logical because he plays outside and can still be an outstanding return guy. His body-catching bothers me some though.

Either way

Dez and Miles outside
Austin inside
Harris et all backing up

or
Dez and Patterson outside
Miles inside
Harris et all backing up

two pretty good choices.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
DFWJC;5015636 said:
That would be a very tough choice.

Austin is electric. But I wonder if in the hstory of the draft a slot recevier has ever been taken that high?

Patterson seems more logical because he plays outside and can still be an outstanding return guy. His body-catching bothers me some though.

Either way

Dez and Miles outside
Austin inside
Harris et all backing up

or
Dez and Patterson outside
Miles inside
Harris et all backing up

two pretty good choices.

indeed. Patterson does catch with his body too much. Thats the only real knock on him. But tavon is electric and has desean jackson get up and go type speed. Quick in and out of his routes. If desean can be a number 1 or 2. They are about the same size. It would be interesting to see if tavon can take a hit across the middle in the nfl with him being so small.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jblaze2004;5015641 said:
indeed. Patterson does catch with his body too much. Thats the only real knock on him. But tavon is electric and has desean jackson get up and go type speed. Quick in and out of his routes. If desean can be a number 1 or 2. They are about the same size. It would be interesting to see if tavon can take a hit across the middle in the nfl with him being so small.
I think Austin is pretty tough for his size, but that's still a legit question.

I keep hearing Tavor being compared to desean jackson. Desean's career so far has not warrented the 18th pick. Not even close.
Over his 5 year career he's averaged about 950 yards. His last two have been 700 and 961.

He the last 5 years, in receiving yards, he has finished

56th (2012)
23rd
12th
12th
28th

Those are not really mid 1st round numbers.

BTW, Justin Hunter may end up being better than both Austin and patterson/
Guess we'll see.

JDSTAR

Reaction score
Austin, all day, everyday. I like Patterson, but I could see him getting lost against a good corner. Tavons fast enough to get open, and unlike Desean, I see Austin more as a RB when he gets his hands on the ball.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Neither. Between those two, I don't believe either will be the best player on the board at 18, even if we have filled Guard through FA.

newlander

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5015680 said:
Neither. Between those two, I don't believe either will be the best player on the board at 18, even if we have filled Guard through FA.

....quite a few guys that will be MUCH better picks than these two: Richardson, Johnson, Fluker all better players than these two IMO

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5015680 said:
I think most of us agree.

He meant if you had to choose between those two WRs (no other choices or positons) which would you take.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I love Tavon Austin but his size scares me. At 5'8 and 171 lbs, he's one big hit away from being broken. I know that's only a couple inches and a few lbs less than Desean Jackson, but still something to think about. I think Patterson will be a stud at the next level and he's a big target at 6'3 and 216 lbs. He's fast and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Ran a 4.42 at the combine.

IF we had to choose between the 2, I'd say take him, and then take Tyler Bray in the 3rd if he's still there and let them reunite in Dallas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;5015686 said:

He meant if you had to choose between those two WRs (no other choices or positons) which would you take.

I understand, but I don't believe that will ever happen. If you want to know which one we think is better, then post a thread that asks that question.

Don't post a thread that give you an unplausible scenario and makes you live with it. That is kind of unrealistic to me.

Between the two, i would take Austin. I don't love Patterson. He reminds me of Plexiglass, where as Austin reminds me of Steve Smith.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5015704 said:
Between the two, i would take Austin. I don't love Patterson. He reminds me of Plexiglass, where as Austin reminds me of Steve Smith.
If Austin ends up being Steve Smith, then he is mid 1st round worthy. If he's DJax, not quite so much, imo.

Steve Smith >>> Desean Jackson

jblaze2004

Reaction score
DFWJC;5015686 said:

this:starspin

if only people took there time to read. I said pick between the two:laugh2: Im sure there will be much better options but I wanted to know if you had to pick between patterson and austin who would you pick and why.