Corey Coleman WR.... What Am I missing?

egn22

Reaction score
i have nothing against the kid, but other than his breakaway speed what specifically is it about him that the draft pundits love so much?

I've heard he's insanely fast but runs poor routes, has difficulty catching away from his body, has problems with drops, lacks size (5'11"), and isn't as productive in the slot position.

Again, I haven't watched him, and have nothing against him. Just wondering why he's widely considered to be the 2nd WR selected, and he's projected to go late 1st or early 2nd.

Any Baylor fans here?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
He's perhaps the most athletic player in the draft and the issues he does have are correctable.

He's going to destroy the Combine.

He had 20 TDs this year and scored a TD on 27% of his receptions. He's a legitimate deep threat.

That said, he definitely needs to work on his routes and haul in easy catches more consistently. The same things were said about Dez (who, in his best season at OKSt, had a 22% TD rate).

Sydla

Reaction score
But is he that much better than say a Will Fuller, who is probably a 2nd round guy?

That would be my question.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Coleman has a higher ceiling.

Based on what? Honest question.

I suspect Fuller will also run a fast 40 time, like Coleman his hands are probably average, they both need route running polish. Coleman put up better stats but that was in a wide open passing offense, whereas ND ran the ball more. TCU threw the ball over 125 times more than ND. Wonder what Fuller's stats would have been if he had an offense that threw the ball 125 more times a season?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
i have nothing against the kid, but other than his breakaway speed what specifically is it about him that the draft pundits love so much?

I've heard he's insanely fast but runs poor routes, has difficulty catching away from his body, has problems with drops, lacks size (5'11"), and isn't as productive in the slot position.

Again, I haven't watched him, and have nothing against him. Just wondering why he's widely considered to be the 2nd WR selected, and he's projected to go late 1st or early 2nd.

Any Baylor fans here?

Yes, former alum and booster, here again. :D

A good comparison would be Tyler Lockett. The knock on him was his size. The guy had speed (4.4) and produced in college but he went in the 3rd round. This is where I believe Coleman belongs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I suspect Fuller will also run a fast 40 time, like Coleman his hands are probably average, they both need route running polish. Coleman put up better stats but that was in a wide open passing offense, whereas ND ran the ball more. TCU threw the ball over 125 times more than ND. Wonder what Fuller's stats would have been if he had an offense that threw the ball 125 more times a season?

Fullers hands arent even average. He has a problem with drops. That and, I and I feel Coleman is more athletic, is what I feel separates them

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score

Mostly based off of athletic ability. Coleman is seriously a freak athlete. Because of that, I think he has a better chance of transitioning to the NFL.

Not that Will Fuller is a bad prospect by any means.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not really sure how Coleman registers as more athletic.

I wouldn't touch either guy until the late 2nd round or third round.

PS - Coleman's drop percentage was 11.9% last year............ Fuller's was 12.8............ 10 drops for Coleman and 9 drops for Fuller. Coleman might have better hands but not by much.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Not really sure how Coleman registers as more athletic.

I wouldn't touch either guy until the late 2nd round or third round.

PS - Coleman's drop percentage was 11.9% last year............ Fuller's was 12.8............ 10 drops for Coleman and 9 drops for Fuller. Coleman might have better hands but not by much.

He was voted as the biggest freak athlete in college football last year, over guys like Jalen Ramsey, Robert Nkemdiche, Shawn Oakman, Joey Bosa, Myles Jack, etc.

Not that being a freak athlete makes you a good football player, because we all know better than that. Just giving you some insight as to why teams/media/people regard him highly.

1. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
Particulars: 5-11, 190, junior
Skinny: Baylor is loaded with guys who could've made this list. Junior Seth Russell, the guy tasked with replacing Bryce Petty at QB, has been clocked at 4.49 in the 40 and has a vertical jump of 41.5 inches. And 6-9, 275-pound senior DE Shawn Oakman runs a 4.81 40, has a 36-inch vertical and can do a 40-inch box jump while holding 70-pound dumbbells. But we're limiting it to one guy per team, and our choice for Baylor is Coleman, who takes a back seat to no one: a time of 4.38 in the 40, a clocking of 6.62 seconds in the three-cone drill (that would've led all WRs at this year's NFL Scouting Combine), an incredible 45-inch vertical and an 11-foot-3 broad jump. His athleticism carries over to the field: He averaged 17.5 yards on 64 receptions and had 11 TD catches last season.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000496312

Aven8

Reaction score
I've seen them both play, but give me Doctson over Coleman. Doctson may not have the speed of Coleman but he can catch anything in his vicinity.

Also, Jakeem Grant who got snubbed out of the combine, is way more athletic than Colemen. He ran a hand timed 4.15 recently and a 6'1" box jump! The dude is 5'6". Insane!

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I've seen them both play, but give me Doctson over Coleman. Doctson may not have the speed of Coleman but he can catch anything in his vicinity.

Also, Jakeem Grant who got snubbed out of the combine, is way more athletic than Colemen. He ran a hand timed 4.15 recently and a 6'1" box jump! The dude is 5'6". Insane!

Hand timed by a friendly coach with a happy trigger finger. Lol.

But for real, Grant is a crazy prospect. He's got probably the fastest change of direction skills I've ever seen. He's like a hummingbird.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He's perhaps the most athletic player in the draft and the issues he does have are correctable.

He's going to destroy the Combine.

He had 20 TDs this year and scored a TD on 27% of his receptions. He's a legitimate deep threat.

That said, he definitely needs to work on his routes and haul in easy catches more consistently. The same things were said about Dez (who, in his best season at OKSt, had a 22% TD rate).

I haven't been buying into it either....Think of it this way. Desean Jackson was way better coming out college...and he went 49th in the 2nd round. Ran a 4.3 @ the combine. If Coleman shows up @ the combine and runs a 4.49 or something like that teams are gonna have a hard decision.:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeSean_Jackson

Derinyar

Reaction score
I haven't been buying into it either....Think of it this way. Desean Jackson was way better coming out college...and he went 49th in the 2nd round. Ran a 4.3 @ the combine. If Coleman shows up @ the combine and runs a 4.49 or something like that teams are gonna have a hard decision.:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeSean_Jackson

This draft is most likely weaker then the draft Jackson came out in.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Easily the most explosive wide out in this class. Has the potential to add a dynamic to your offense that few players can. Hence the high projection.

thehammer

Reaction score
But is he that much better than say a Will Fuller, who is probably a 2nd round guy?

That would be my question.

I compare him to slightly taller Tavon Austin(watch his combine height)....questionable work ethic but off the charts athleticism. Personally think Fuller is smarter, safer pick.

will say I think Doctson is the clear cut 2nd best wr in the clas

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
A lot of insiders are reporting he is small, and ran a limited route tree, basically ran 4 routes at Baylor, fast but not the best or smartest route runner and could have trouble picking up NFL systems....