Reaction score
Updated: March 2, 2007, 3:34 PM ET
Pats RB Dillon released

ESPN.com news services

Corey Dillon

s3914.jpg

Running Back
New England Patriots

Corey Dillon's request to be released by the New England Patriots has been granted, the team said Friday.

"On behalf of the New England Patriots organization, we respect and appreciate Corey Dillon's significant contributions to our team," coach Bill Belichick said in a statement issued by the team. "Those contributions extend beyond his individual on-field achievements and his integral role in a championship season. They also include three years of veteran leadership and positive relationships throughout the team."

Dillon, the club record-holder for rushing yards in a season, is now free to negotiate with any team.

The Patriots will save more than $2 million by releasing him now. Dillon would have counted $4.4 million against the salary cap had the Patriots retained him. Dillon, 32, rushed for 812 yards and a career-high 13 touchdowns in 2006. Though he has hinted at retirement, Dillon said he would consider playing elsewhere as the featured back -- a role he lost in New England after the emergence of Laurence Maroney.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
At his age and career carries he should have stayed there and excepted a split role, could have pro-longed his career.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1400163 said:
NO, thanks we have enough egos on offense...

And remember he's like 30 something!

Hos was just posting it. He never said get the guy. He would probably be the last person to say get Dillon.

It is just news. Which is why most of us come to this forum.

Reaction score
Dallas;1400179 said:
Hos was just posting it. He never said get the guy. He would probably be the last person to say get Dillon.

It is just news. Which is why most of us come to this forum.

Whoa pump your breaks, I'm sure Hos will respond if he chooses.... He doesn't need a body guard. I'm just saying BEFORE anyone starts the conversation about bringing him to Dallas.

Shuttemdown41

Reaction score
Hate to even consider it, but I think he'd do well with a team like Philly where they already have the scatback/multi-purpose guy in Westbrook but are missing a pound-it type of back like Dillon.

Eddie

Reaction score
Didn't Dillon cost NE a first round pick two years ago?

zeromaster

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1400175 said:
If Washington Trades Portis, do ya think?
That pups hair in your avatar is stylin', but I can't think what it reminds me of...