Cornerback Clark Phillips, Utah

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Say we don't take a corner in the first or second round, then I think this guy could pop up, although I could see him going as high as the 2nd round, someone to watch, IMO.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, he won’t make it to the 3rd, I’m pretty sure.

I love the player and I think he’d be a top 15 pick if he just had a little more height.

Here is what I wrote about him a week or so ago:

However, he is just 5’10”. With Quinn and McClay, that might just make him not-eligible. But, that only makes him a little bit shorter than Kelvin Joseph, except that Phillips is everything that Joseph is not. He is a great corner.

Phillips, a Junior, originally committed to Ohio State before deciding on Utah and switching. He has been a starter since game 1 of his freshmen year, starting all 31 games while in college. In those 31 games, he had 9 interceptions, with 4 of them being pick-6’s. This season he was voted the PAC 12 defensive player of the year.

He is an alpha dog, and his click-and-close is amazingly fast. He is twitchy as hell. He changes directions so quick that QB’s can misjudge distances with him.

What I love most about him is his mental makeup. Doing anything against Phillips is difficult. He just makes everything hard for WR’s. I wrote at the start of this post that he is competitive and combative… and that is just what he is. He’s always fighting, scratching and clawing to get to the ball, and he has maybe the best ball awareness out of all of this year’s corners. He locates the ball, either knocking it down or picking it off.

He’s just a fantastic CB that I’d love to have in Dallas
.”

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yeah, he won’t make it to the 3rd, I’m pretty sure.

I love the player and I think he’d be a top 15 pick if he just had a little more height.

Here is what I wrote about him a week or so ago:

However, he is just 5’10”. With Quinn and McClay, that might just make him not-eligible. But, that only makes him a little bit shorter than Kelvin Joseph, except that Phillips is everything that Joseph is not. He is a great corner.

Phillips, a Junior, originally committed to Ohio State before deciding on Utah and switching. He has been a starter since game 1 of his freshmen year, starting all 31 games while in college. In those 31 games, he had 9 interceptions, with 4 of them being pick-6’s. This season he was voted the PAC 12 defensive player of the year.

He is an alpha dog, and his click-and-close is amazingly fast. He is twitchy as hell. He changes directions so quick that QB’s can misjudge distances with him.

What I love most about him is his mental makeup. Doing anything against Phillips is difficult. He just makes everything hard for WR’s. I wrote at the start of this post that he is competitive and combative… and that is just what he is. He’s always fighting, scratching and clawing to get to the ball, and he has maybe the best ball awareness out of all of this year’s corners. He locates the ball, either knocking it down or picking it off.

He’s just a fantastic CB that I’d love to have in Dallas
.”
Wow, didn't see this. But I like it. This is a pretty good corner class.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee the Cowboys would not select him, due to his traits alone, lack of height/length. Don't disagree, that he is a good prospect, but this front office/coaching staff have a very specific prototype for the position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
great draft 2 take more than 1 cb. If we dont draft at least 2, then it might be a missed chance to make big strides.The way I see cb is, in the draft, its 7 rds deep and talented. Just depends what your flavor is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can almost guarantee the Cowboys would not select him, due to his traits alone, lack of height/length. Don't disagree, that he is a good prospect, but this front office/coaching staff have a very specific prototype for the position.
I'm curious to see his official height and arm length.

Joseph is 5'11-1/2" with sub 32" arms.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm curious to see his official height and arm length.

Joseph is 5'11-1/2" with sub 32" arms.
True, but let's be honest. Joseph has the traits and some of the instincts you like. That's why they drafted him. But this guy reminds me a lot of what Joseph could be if he didn't have other problems.

I think this guy would also project well at WR in the NFL, if he didn't work out. JMO.

For the record, Joseph is one of the most impressive gunners I've ever seen. Just underappreciated by the fan base.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
True, but let's be honest. Joseph has the traits and some of the instincts you like. That's why they drafted him. But this guy reminds me a lot of what Joseph could be if he didn't have other problems.

I think this guy would also project well at WR in the NFL, if he didn't work out. JMO.
He moves much better than Joseph. People really oversell Joseph's traits. All he did was run a fast 40. Nothing else was extraordinary

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He moves much better than Joseph. People really oversell Joseph's traits. All he did was run a fast 40. Nothing else was extraordinary
Joseph sticks to his guy well. It's the mental stuff that he's not prepared for, as far as his reaction goes. But I still have hope for the guy. He showed me some improvement last year, and that's all you can ask for someone with an offseason like he had.

He has a shot to come back, and I think another year might be good for him. I know everyone is ready to give up on the guy. But he adds value on ST, so I keep him there as a definite yes, and actually work him at CB as hard as I am on ST. To see if I can work him into a back up role, or at slot where I think he fits the best. But I'm also preparing to draft a CB, for sure. Maybe sign another in free agency if they don't bring back Brown.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Joseph sticks to his guy well. It's the mental stuff that he's not prepared for, as far as his reaction goes. But I still have hope for the guy. He showed me some improvement last year, and that's all you can ask for someone with an offseason like he had.

He has a shot to come back, and I think another year might be good for him. I know everyone is ready to give up on the guy. But he adds value on ST, so I keep him there as a definite yes, and actually work him at CB as hard as I am on ST. To see if I can work him into a back up role, or at slot where I think he fits the best. But I'm also preparing to draft a CB, for sure. Maybe sign another in free agency if they don't bring back Brown.
I think he sticks to guys that run streak routes. Anything involving his hips turning he's cooked imo. I been consistent about him since before the draft. I hoped I was wrong. Phillips can flip his hips and he's cerebral. I also think he's a 4.4 guy. Maybe not 4.3 straightline like Joseph. I'd run to the podium if he's there at our second pick

cnuball21

Reaction score

I agree. I think he’s shown that he has the ability to stick with WRs in the NFL…it’s just a matter of finishing and / or getting his head turned around.

Reminds me of Chido.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Matt Miller favorite player in the draft. Breminds him of Harris in Denver.
That's a better comp than I had for him. Dan Quinn should really get more heat if he chooses another non baller at cb. Enough is enough with the height thing

RandyOh

Reaction score
Sadly many teams will pass on him in the 1st couple rounds because he’s a couple inches too short. The team willing to give him a chance gonna get a good football player. Won’t be us.