Cosell breaks down the best WRs in the draft LOVES Austin

RS12

Reaction score
On Tennessee’s Cordarrelle Patteson

COSELL: I think Patterson will be drafted solely because of his size and because of his dynamic movement. I don’t think he’s anywhere close to being a quality receiver in terms of the subtleties of how to run routes. In fact, he’s much quicker and more dynamic with the ball in his hands as opposed to running routes. Running routes he’s not that dynamic because he doesn’t know how to do it yet. He’ll get drafted high because of the potential. He needs to go to a team with a very good wide receivers coach, and he needs to be taught how to become a receiver.

Q: Would a team use him on bubble screens and quick slants to get him YAC until he learns how to run routes better?

COSELL: Yes. If you draft this kid, you understand what he is and what he isn’t. And then you provide opportunities in the context of your offense to maximize his strengths. If you just lined him up at the X or the Z and said, “Go play,” he’d have a really difficult time. It would be a tough transition. But with the expansion of offensive concepts in the NFL, there’s multiple ways now to use his skills while you’re teaching him the other skills.

Q: I think he has the potential to be able to do everything, it’s just not all put together yet.

COSELL: Correct. He has good hands. He has a wide catching radius. He can make tough catches. What he needs to do is use his speed and movement much more effectively as a route runner, not just with the ball in his hands, and that will take time. We saw what happened last year with Justin Blackmon, this sixth pick in the draft. He didn’t really start to play well until late in the season. We had Michael Floyd – he didn’t start to do much until late in the season, either. Sometimes it takes time.

On West Virginia’s Tavon Austin

COSELL: He may be one of my favorite players in this draft. I would draft this kid in the top 10 or 12 of the draft. I think this is where the league is going. It’s now become a passing-space league. The old, conventional concepts of how to use receivers – he’s an X, he’s Z, he’s a slot – I think that’s a little old school. I think Austin fits where this league is going. You don’t just line him up in one place. A lot of people are saying he’s going to have trouble getting off press coverage. Of course he will. He’s small. But that’s not how you use him. There’s no more explosive, dynamic player in this draft than Austin. Look at the Seahawks and Percy Harvin. They wouldn’t have given up what they did just for a receiver. I think they’ve got a plan, and I think that’s the way you’ve got to deal with Austin.

On Clemson’s DeAndre Hopkins

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013...cosell-breaks-down-the-best-wrs-in-the-draft/

RS12

Reaction score
On Norte Dame’s Tyler Eifert

COSELL: He’s my favorite tight end in this draft. I think his athleticism and movement is No.1 in this draft. He’s really a deceptively smooth athlete. He shows the ability to run vertical routes from split wide receiver positions versus corners. He’s more athletic than when Kyle Rudolph came out of Notre Dame. I think Eifert is a better prospect than Zach Ertz – he’s more athletic with better overall receiving skills. I think in today’s NFL, this kid is a first round pick.

On Stanford’s Zach Ertz

COSELL: I think Zach Ertz has a similar physical baseline as Jason Witten when he was coming out of Tennessee. I think he has good hands. He catches the ball well. He does have deceptive route quickness with the ability to separate versus man, but he’s not quite the athlete that Tyler Eifert is.

On San Diego State’s Gavin Escorbar.

COSELL: He’s a very big kid. He’s long. He’s lanky, even though he probably weighs 250 or so, just because he’s so tall. I like Escobar. He was 6-5 and seven-eighths and 254 pounds at the Combine. Guys like that, they’re not purely fast, but their stride length is what’s interesting. Once they get moving, they cover an awful lot of ground. I remember watching a lot of him last year as well. He’s a very intriguing prospect in this new age NFL because of his size. I think that he can be a joker. He can line up all over the formation. I think he’s a very intriguing prospect if used properly, who can be a little bit of a matchup issue for some teams.

On Rice’s Vance McDonald

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013...cosell-breaks-down-the-best-tes-in-the-draft/

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I know it would make a lot of people mad but I really like Zach Ertz. Not in the 1st round, but if you put Hanna at H-Back and use Witten/Ertz as a 2 TE attack we would have a sick offense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
cowboysfan31;5029418 said:
I know it would make a lot of people mad but I really like Zach Ertz. Not in the 1st round, but if you put Hanna at H-Back and use Witten/Ertz as a 2 TE attack we would have a sick offense.
Hanna will be your receiving TE. He's a better athlete than Ertz, and can be a bigger threat in the passing game.

The only TE that Dallas should take this year, if any, is one in the late rounds who can block...Williams from Bama could be a good pick if they go that route.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I like Kelce, Terron Armstead and Luc Reed. I think all of them can develop into nice TEs. Kelce is very interesting. He has some thing in his background that need to be checked out but from a skill standpoint, he could be a steal in the 3rd Rd. Armstead is a guy who could be a freak of nature. I understand that he is a 6'5" 300 plus pound OT who can catch and run patterns. Imagine what he might be if he played TE? Reed is a guy who has size and can run but has never been used as a pass catching TE. He can catch but UNM has never really used him. He can block and he would come as possibly an UFA.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;5029564 said:
I like Kelce, Terron Armstead and Luc Reed. I think all of them can develop into nice TEs. Kelce is very interesting. He has some thing in his background that need to be checked out but from a skill standpoint, he could be a steal in the 3rd Rd. Armstead is a guy who could be a freak of nature. I understand that he is a 6'5" 300 plus pound OT who can catch and run patterns. Imagine what he might be if he played TE? Reed is a guy who has size and can run but has never been used as a pass catching TE. He can catch but UNM has never really used him. He can block and he would come as possibly an UFA.

I would sign OC Mario Benavides at UDFA and convert him to TE. He is a really good blocker for his size (6-3, 280), but he is just not big enough to play Center in the NFL, IMO. He appears to have excellent quickness.

At 6-3, he could also take snaps at FB or H-back.

ddh33

Reaction score
I love Austin too. Just put on his film against OU. I know OU's defense was down, but that kid was just on another level.

I think he's absolutely correct about how to use him too. If you want a receiver to get off press and send him down the field, he isn't the guy. I like the Percy Harvin comparison a lot. Tell me you wouldn't draft that high.

RS12

Reaction score
ddh33;5029576 said:
I love Austin too. Just put on his film against OU. I know OU's defense was down, but that kid was just on another level.

I think he's absolutely correct about how to use him too. If you want a receiver to get off press and send him down the field, he isn't the guy. I like the Percy Harvin comparison a lot. Tell me you wouldn't draft that high.

Using player properly not one of the coaching staffs strengths.

RS12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5029564 said:

They like Kelce and Armstead. Thumbing through the PFW draft mag where anonymous scouts give a blurb. About Kelce they said he was a train wreck off the field. Armstead is intriguing as a OT/TE. Guess nobody remembers the Kendall Watkins experiment.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
RS12;5029616 said:
Using player properly not one of the coaching staffs strengths.

Somewhat of a bad indictment, but I would agree with this one. More so since JG became the head coach. They seem to want players to adapt to the system, not the other way around.