Could 4 receiver be Dez?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Irvin is still available. I hear Drew Pearson still has great hands. And he can still run great routes. We could get either pretty cheap. I mean a HOFer and a ROH member are available. Have you guys seen their video catching passes in t-shirts from Troy and Roger? Wow.
:thumbup:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DEPTH CHART: #4 receiver

I still believe Dez has value on the team given his sure hands and edge that will be needed to win in big moments. Too many drops last year to keep status quo, Dak ain’t losing $100,000 per drop.

This notion that he want play ST is irrelevant since the roster has been expanded to 55 on game day and practice squad players can be activated.

Another major change that will take an immediate effect from the new CBA is a new playoff structure that will include two more teams to the playoff field. A total of seven teams from each conference will make it to the postseason now.

And there will be more players to do so with. Though the roster limit will continue to be 53 for 2020, two players from the practice squad may be brought up to increase roster sizes to 55 on gameday, with those two players reverting back to the practice squad after gameday. Practice squads will also be increased in size from 10 players to 12 beginning this season.”

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/new-cba-brings-changes-for-2020-nfl-season-buccaneers

Dez often showed up out of shape when he was in his prime. At this point Michael Irvin would likely have a better chance to return than Dez.

What snaps would he play? They have 3 legit starters and most teams only play 3 WR sets about 70% of the snaps.

The bottom of the depth chart at a position should always be young developmental players. Teams can function in the salary cap without developing some young players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dez has fallen so far fans are now lobbying for him as the fourth receiver. :laugh:

MiddleStar

Reaction score
"This notion that he want play ST is irrelevant since the roster has been expanded to 55 on game day and practice squad players can be activated."

Not picking on the OP but let's get something straight with this new 55 man roster bit, because it is getting tossed around to much.

The roster is still 53. When teams make cuts at the end of training camp they have to be at 53, not 55. They do now get two more slots on the practice squad, for a total of 12 spots.

Back to the OP, to get Dez on the roster we will have to cut someone to get him on the roster so that is not a good thing. Also, there are rules for these 2 promotions per week from the practice squad:
1. The same player can't come back up in two consecutive weeks, or else on the second week they have to be elevated to the full roster (and someone has to come off-cut, IL, etc).
2. The PS player can only make two trips up to the full roster per year without being activated to the full roster.

So the notion that there is a 55 man roster is BS, it is still 53.

Here is a good article explaining all of it.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020...g-the-nfls-new-roster-rules-beginning-in-2020

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Why though? Dez is one of my favorite Cowboys of all time but I'm not even sure if he beats out Devin Smith, Cedrick Wilson, etc. at this point. I hope I'm wrong but I for sure don't want to see him brought in to camp just to get cut.

lol not sure he beats them? I’m sure he provides better than all those guys thing here is at 4 you want younger guys, who play special teams, Dez won’t run down kicks.