Could a spare RB have trade value after all?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No McFadden is not making the 53, he's 2 million against the cap and can't play STs. The dumbest thing for an nfl team is to waste that kind of cap on a player that is inactive.

Dunbar is sure to stay on PUP.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is.

It's called don't open and read the thread.

Doesn't always work that way. Many of threads start out good, then get derailed.
And if you don't open a thread, how do you know what the tone of it is.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Running Backs are such a dime a dozen thing in this league. Just look at most of the rosters. Although there's not many great RBs, there are so many okay ones.
Maybe DMC can get us a 6th, I don't know. Maybe Jackson, taken near the of the 6th, can get us a 7th...which was about the same as where he went?

erod

Reaction score
Demarco Murray has a decent career, then Dallas puts together a phenomenal offensive line, and he goes for 1,800 yards and shatters franchise records. Then he does nothing in Philly and gets traded away.

Darren McFadden has a disappointing career and three years of 3.4 yards per carry, then comes to Dallas behind this line, and goes for 1,000+ in limited games and averages 4.6 ypc.

I think teams see through this, don't you?

What would a truly elite back do here? Hopefully, Zeke is just that, and we'll soon see it for ourselves.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think if someone offers you a 6th or a 7th for McFadden you take it and be happy. Since he's not healthy right now maybe the best situation is letting him stay on NFI for as long as he can before you have to make a decision.

Hardline

Reaction score
No McFadden is not making the 53, he's 2 million against the cap and can't play STs. The dumbest thing for an nfl team is to waste that kind of cap on a player that is inactive.

Dunbar is sure to stay on PUP.

It's a certainty McFadden will be on the 53.

Wanna make a bet on it?
The loser permanently leaves Cowboys Forum m

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ask yourself what YOU would give for McFadden and that should answer your question fairly quickly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McFadden's injury history and the fact he's missed all of training camp with an injury and will likely miss all of preseason reduces his trade value to practically zero. With all the work he's missed when he returns he'll be susceptible to a soft tissue injury such as a hamstring which has been a problem for him. Dunbar is coming off a serious knee injury that he's been rehabbing since last year. He's another back with durability concerns so I can't see anyone being interested in trading for him. The Cowboys may be rich at RB but with Zeke battling a hamstring injury most of camp they need to stay stocked at the position because the plan will be to lean on the run to try and keep Romo healthy. We could go long at RB in the event Zeke's hamstring becomes an issue this season.

We've had 3 backs this summer coming back from injuries and two of those backs have had issues with durability. If Jackson isn't good enough to make the 53 man roster he'll either be put on the practice squad or released. My guess is that Dunbar will be the odd man out because he's the least effective "runner" we have due to his lack of size and we have backs that provide some of what he does as a receiver. Zeke is an all around back who doesn't have to be taken off the field on 3rd down. He can create big plays in the passing game by being able to break tackles and run away from defenders. McFadden also provides a threat out of the backfield as does Jackson who has great speed.

Dunbar's best chance to make the team would be if he can make some plays in preseason and show he still has the speed and quickness we saw early last season. If he can't play in preseason his roster spot will be in deep trouble because he's battling back from a serious knee injury. It's pretty easy decision to make to keep a back who can run the ball, catch the ball and is coming off a broken arm over a back who only has 391 career rushing yards and is coming off a surgically repaired knee.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He had more than double the yardage and a way better ypc last year than the year before.
The guy was 4th in the league in rushing while starting only 10 games. Nothing remotely like the previous year.
OF COURSE his value could go up.
I said "maybe" a 6th. That's not really going out on limb.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He had more than double the yardage and a way better ypc last year than the year before.
The guy was 4th in the league in rushing while starting only 10 games. Nothing remotely like the previous year.
OF COURSE his value could go up.
I said "maybe" a 6th. That's not really going out on limb.

He had more than double the yardage from the previous season due to having a career high in carries behind arguably the best OL in football. Despite having a career high in carries he only scored 3 rushing TD's and proved against Green Bay that he no longer has great speed. Several backs that finished behind him in rushing scored more TD's than he did. As for his ypc it was jacked up the final 4 games of the season when the Cowboys had no realistic shot at the playoffs.

Despite rushing averages of 12.3, 6.3, 5.2 and 7.7 the final 4 games, he only finished with a rushing average of 4.6 due to 8 games where he rushed for under 4.0 a carry. No one will trade for him especially with all the time he's missed this summer with an injury. I'm sure most teams feel that his chances of having back to back injury free seasons are slim and none based in his injury history.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
and still he is the better back right now and will probably start for SEA
He's running harder, not sure how long that holds up. I still don't think he's anything special, vision appears to be his issue. Quickness his strength.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He's running harder, not sure how long that holds up. I still don't think he's anything special, vision appears to be his issue. Quickness his strength.
put CMike and DMC on the waiver wire and I believe CMike is the only one that gets a call

DFWJC

Reaction score
He had more than double the yardage from the previous season due to having a career high in carries behind arguably the best OL in football. Despite having a career high in carries he only scored 3 rushing TD's and proved against Green Bay that he no longer has great speed. Several backs that finished behind him in rushing scored more TD's than he did. As for his ypc it was jacked up the final 4 games of the season when the Cowboys had no realistic shot at the playoffs.

Despite rushing averages of 12.3, 6.3, 5.2 and 7.7 the final 4 games, he only finished with a rushing average of 4.6 due to 8 games where he rushed for under 4.0 a carry. No one will trade for him especially with all the time he's missed this summer with an injury. I'm sure most teams feel that his chances of having back to back injury free seasons are slim and none based in his injury history.
So after all that verbiage, can I assume you think McFadden has exactly ZERO TRADE VALUE--not even a 6th or 7th--, like the person I was responding too?
That was the point of my reply after all.

Like I said to him, I could care less. Just making a guess a his possible value.
I never said for sure he get that, not even once.