Could anyone provide a bio on WR S. Holmes?

Woods

Reaction score
Just in case we go that way in the draft . . . .

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Woods said:
Just in case we go that way in the draft . . . .

Santonio Holmes 5'11 (185) 4.40 40 (unofficial)

53 receptions for 977 yards and 11 TDs

Going into the 2005 Season, many would say Holmes is the best WR in the country. Only a junior, his stock was good enough to receive a high grade for the commitee and he has decided to forego his senior year at Columbus. His crisp route running along with the ability to leap and make great catches have made him one of the most-feared players in the NCAA. Holmes is deadly on punt returns as well-- returning one for a score. Equally deadly on kick returns, he teamed with Ted Ginn to provide the Buckeyes with the best pair of return men in the country. Only a junior, this year he showcased himself as the go-to guy on this team. Holmes boasts a track and field background, as well as a very good pedigree (he's Fred Taylor's cousin). With not a deep class of receivers, Holmes figures to be the first or second selected in April. he needs to be a little more consistent, but he was the best receiver in 2005 in the NCAA.

(Another Source)

War Room analysis
Hands: Has good, soft hands. Must improve on catching intermediate passes. Catches passes at full speed and over his head. Makes tough catches in traffic. Lets too many balls get to his body. Grade: 8.0.

Patterns: Is an accomplished route-runner. Closes the cushion quickly, separates well. Shows terrific footwork and lower-body strength to make crisp cuts. Stops and starts quickly. Shows a great burst. Grade: 8.3.

Run after catch: Is explosive. Gets upfield immediately after the catch. Is a threat to score on every touch. Always seems to make first defender miss. Shows a second gear in the open field. Shows good vision to use blockers well. Grade: 8.3.

Release: Has a small frame. Is adept at sidestepping jams but must learn to use hands better to shed defenders. Shows great initial quickness. Won't be able to outrun NFL cornerbacks to the outside. Must become more patient. Grade: 7.9.

Blocking: Is competitive and willing to work but is limited by his size. Is stronger than he appears but has a short reach. Must use cut blocks to be effective. Must take better angles to defenders. Won't be effective cracking back against linebackers. Grade: 7.8.
Bottom line: Holmes is a constant home run threat. Although he didn't put up huge numbers in Ohio State's conservative offense, Holmes has the potential to be an NFL star. His size is sufficient, his speed is explosive and his ability is off the charts. He will need time to develop but immediately will contribute in the return game and as a No. 2 or slot receiver. He should be the first wide receiver selected

(another source)

Strengths:
A vertical home run threat who can really separate...Plays faster than he times and is very quick...Runs outstanding routes and knows how to get open...Runs well after the catch and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball...Has good hands and will make the catch while running at full speed...Displays solid ball skills...Physical and strong...Plays much bigger than his frame would indicate.

Weaknesses:
Has only average size...Lacks elite timed speed...Might have trouble beating the jam in the pros...Will let some balls get into his body...A willing blocker who gives top effort but his size will always limit him in that area...Was not super productive but he played in a run-first offense...Might not be a true #1 at the next level.

Notes:
Has two sons: Santonio III and Nicori...Is a second cousin of Jacksonville Jaguars running back Fred Taylor...May not be the biggest or fastest receiver around but he does all the little things and makes plays...Similar in many ways to Terry Glenn.

(another source)

Strenghts: Elite speed, even at the next level. Is always a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. Great in the open field. Excellent on punt and kickoff returns. Good hands.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal height and strength. Can't block to save his life. Needs to improve his route running; he relied to much on just burning people with his speed in college.

Comments: A guy his size is unlikely to develop into a dominant number one receiver, but his ability to move after the catch is special. Was overshaddowed sometimes at Ohio State because Ted Ginn Jr. received so much of the attention from the media.

(last source)

Santonio Holmes WR 5'11 190 Ohio St. Jr.
By: Robert Davis
Santonio Holmes has been one of the biggest playmakers in the Big 10 since his sophomore season. In 2003, he hauled in 32 grabs for 549 yards and seven touchdowns. He improved those numbers as a junior, earning All Big 10 2nd team honors after catching 55 balls for 769 yards and seven touchdowns. As a senior, Holmes earned 1st Team All Conference honors after finishing the year with 53 receptions for 977 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Holmes is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. He has the quickness, acceleration, and long range speed to be a big time threat with the ball in his hands. He can take the quick screen and make a big play, or beat corners down the field vertically. He is tough and will not back down from anyone. Holmes also brings value as a kick and punt returner. He could be a real playmaker on special teams, though he was not a full time special teamer for Ohio St. because of the presence of explosive sophomore Ted Ginn Jr.

As with most of the elite playmakers, Holmes lacks the size to be an intermediate threat. His lack of bulk will not allow him to cross the middle of the field consistently. He also may have issues getting off the line against press coverage. Santonio may be the best wide receiver in the 2006 draft. He is a major playmaker and should make his share of big plays at the next level, as both a receiver and return man. His lack of size may hinder his all around impact as a receiver, but he should be a major contributor for whatever team selects him in April. At this point he looks like a very safe bet to land in the first round and may be the first receiver selected.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Some reports say he's a good blocker while others don't. What's the truth?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I wish I knew. These are just from different sites of those who scout the players.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
If he's as good of a returner as they build him up to be, we could definately use that.

marchetta

Reaction score
Santonio Holmes WR Ohio St​

Strengths
Santonio has very good size, strength and speed for his position. He shows excellent quickness to go along with that speed as well as mental toughness. He has very good hands and runs strong routes. Santonio is a team player and it shows on the field. He is smart and understands situational football.

Needs to Improve
He needs to put on a little more bulk to take the pounding at the next level and as all young WR's, he will have to refine his route running. But I’m nit picking.

Bottom Line
Santonio will impact in his first year. He can play special teams for you and scare the crap out of the opponent. He has talent similar to Lee Evans when he came out, but is not as bulky as Lee and he seems to be quicker in and out of his breaks. Before the beginning of this year, my question about Santonio was his hands. The QB for Ohio St improved so much this year that Santonio was able to answer all of those questions for me. Santonio is coming out early, so you expect him to have some difficulty adjusting on and off the field, but he'll be able to impact on special teams as he goes through those adjustments. He is a very good WR, but he'll have to bulk up to be a #1 WR to keep him on the field, prevent injuries and impact. Santana Moss had that same problem when he came into the league; however, when he got into better shape and joined a team with strong coaching, he started to impact. It will be the same for Santonio.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

JerryFan

Reaction score
First time I've posted, but have been reading this site for awhile now. Holmes is the real deal. I'm not an OSU fan, but watch them often because they are the best team around (I live in Illinois). He runs excellent routes and is a great special team player. I'd take him over Tedd Ginn just because Holmes is a better reciever all around then Ginn is. I've read some other stuff on here about Bobby Carpenter from OSU also and if we should take him or Manny Lawson. I've never watched Lawsom play, but I can tell you that Carpenter is one bad SOB. He can do it all and is PERFECT for the 3-4. He can rush from the end position if need be, play inside,outside and is just mean as hell. Carpenter is the guy I want @ 18 if it's my choice, there isn't anything he can't do at LB and is deffinatly a Parcells type of player.

lkelly

Reaction score
Holmes really had very little impact against PSU this year. I don't know that he'd be a first rounder in most drafts. Terry Glenn was a much better prospect coming out.

Some team will draft Ginn very high because of his insane speed. Holmes was better than Ginn at WR this year, but Ginn is more explosive.

I'd be OK with Dallas drafting Holmes, only because they need to start getting some young playmakers on offense other than the back and TE. Maybe Holmes can learn something from Glenn and contribute a lot as a 2nd year player.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NCAA | S. Holmes' kids a reason he left early
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:30:31 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes said one reason he left early is to help support his three children. Holmes said, "Knowing I have three kids to take care of, I want them to have a dad, something I didn't have. I want to be there to support them. My mom was always a single parent raising four kids. I really want to support my mom."

NCAA | S. Holmes discusses strengths
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:30:06 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes said he is an all-around playmaker. He feels he is possibly one of the best wide receivers in the game right now and has all of the abilities to become a great wide receiver.

NCAA | S. Holmes will not run at Combine
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:45 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes said he will not run at the NFL Combine and will wait for his Pro Day on March 9.

NCAA | S. Holmes hires agent
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:04 -0800

Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes has hired Joel Segal as his agent.

NCAA | S. Holmes measures in
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:13:33 -0800

Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes measured in at the NFL Combine with a height of 5-10 1/2 and a weight of 198 pounds.

50cent

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
NCAA | S. Holmes' kids a reason he left early
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:30:31 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes said one reason he left early is to help support his three children. Holmes said, "Knowing I have three kids to take care of, I want them to have a dad, something I didn't have. I want to be there to support them. My mom was always a single parent raising four kids. I really want to support my mom."

NCAA | S. Holmes discusses strengths
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:30:06 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes said he is an all-around playmaker. He feels he is possibly one of the best wide receivers in the game right now and has all of the abilities to become a great wide receiver.

NCAA | S. Holmes will not run at Combine
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:45 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes said he will not run at the NFL Combine and will wait for his Pro Day on March 9.

NCAA | S. Holmes hires agent
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:29:04 -0800

Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes has hired Joel Segal as his agent.

NCAA | S. Holmes measures in
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:13:33 -0800

Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes measured in at the NFL Combine with a height of 5-10 1/2 and a weight of 198 pounds.
He is the same size as Reggie Bush.

Woods

Reaction score
Thanks WG.

Also, I agree 50 . . . . at 198 lbs. he actually has decent size.

A lot of mock drafts/sites had him around 185 lbs.

If Holmes can still run at nearly 200 lbs., I think some teams are going to have to reconsider whether Holmes' is to "small" or "frail" . . . .

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
He played the infamous weigh now, run later trick. He'll be in the mid 180s for his pro day and run like the wind.

Great way to generate "buzz" though.

lkelly

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
He played the infamous weigh now, run later trick. He'll be in the mid 180s for his pro day and run like the wind.

Great way to generate "buzz" though.

Perhaps he'll have another child by the time his pro day rolls around.