Could Barron be a smokescreen?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Seems little to easy at this point. EVERYONE had us taking him at 14. I'm curious if this whole thing has been an effort by the team to hide its true target. Do you think this is happening and if so, who is the real target?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Teague31;4516301 said:
Seems little to easy at this point. EVERYONE had us taking him at 14. I'm curious if this whole thing has been an effort by the team to hide its true target. Do you think this is happening and if so, who is the real target?

They had us taking Tyron last year around this point and he was the pick. I think th team likes him for a number of reasons but 14 does seem a bit high.

I think between Barron, DeCastro and Cox we would be off to a good start. The first round selection doesn't bother me as much as the other rounds.

If we take a TE, WR and RB in the next 3 rounds, the draft would have been a disaster regardless of who we picked first.

Woods

Reaction score
No, I think he and a couple of other players (possibly Cox, DeCastro) are the potential targets at 14.

It just makes too much sense.

We have a hole at Safety. (Pool is a band-aid/stop gap player on a 1 yr contract with a concussion history.) The management believes the Secondary needs serious upgrading. When RR was asked what he's focusing on at the Senior Bowl, he said DBs. Garrett has spent time personally meeting with Saben to discuss players from Alabama, etc., etc.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I think the team would love to have Fletcher Cox, but they expect him to go early. So they are indeed targeting Barron in the hopes he will be there for us. If he is gone I suspect it is down to DeCastro as a C, and Brockers.

Woods

Reaction score
Hostile;4516318 said:
I think the team would love to have Fletcher Cox, but they expect him to go early. So they are indeed targeting Barron in the hopes he will be there for us. If he is gone I suspect it is down to DeCastro as a C, and Brockers.

I agree, and I hope like heck the choice is DeCastro between those two.

Mash

Reaction score
I do think Barron has received a lot of popularity lately......and it seems other teams are liking him more.

But from what Ive read and IMHO .....the Cowlboys really like 3 players...Cox...Barron....DeCastro......and I think in that order too

What would really hurt is Cox and Barron being gone before Dallas pick. I get the feeling that picking a G at 14 isn't what the Cowboys brass would like.

For me....take DeCastro and be happy....

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile;4516318 said:

This 100%

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Woods;4516313 said:
No, I think he and a couple of other players (possibly Cox, DeCastro) are the potential targets at 14.

It just makes too much sense.

We have a hole at Safety. (Pool is a band-aid/stop gap player on a 1 yr contract with a concussion history.) The management believes the Secondary needs serious upgrading. When RR was asked what he's focusing on at the Senior Bowl, he said DBs. Garrett has spent time personally meeting with Saben to discuss players from Alabama, etc., etc.

Yeah from RR's standpoint (focusing on DBs), I believe its more than that. In his system, he can create pressure with creative blitzes and such, but he just has to be protected on the backend by a good secondary.

Unfortunately we haven't given him that yet, and it should be a high priority to get him this protection on the backend so he can run his system effectively.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Hostile;4516318 said:

This jives with everything I've heard to a T.

You may as well cross Cox off of there as he's not falling to #14.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
reddyuta;4516362 said:
I think they are after brockers,just my gut feeling.

Indications I'm getting suggest Brockers is a 'sky is falling' plan at #14. If Decastro, Barron and Cox are all gone, Brockers would be the choice only if a tradedown wasn't possible.

Brockers has a lot of talent, but he's not going to be ready for substantial playing time for a couple of years.

SDogo

Reaction score
Avery;4516371 said:
Brockers has a lot of talent, but he's not going to be ready for substantial playing time for a couple of years.

Woa, I totally disagree and I'm not the biggest Brockers fan. There is going to be some development with him, I'm not debating that but it's not years. It's over the course of his first full season.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
I think DeCastro or Cox for me. Barron was considered a second end pick by most before the combine. Dont remember anything special he did at the combine and now not only is he a first rounder. Now he's top 15. Red flags everywhere for me on this guy.

Mash;4516320 said:
I do think Barron has received a lot of popularity lately......and it seems other teams are liking him more.

But from what Ive read and IMHO .....the Cowlboys really like 3 players...Cox...Barron....DeCastro......and I think in that order too

What would really hurt is Cox and Barron being gone before Dallas pick. I get the feeling that picking a G at 14 isn't what the Cowboys brass would like.

For me....take DeCastro and be happy....

SDogo

Reaction score
jamesdojr;4516389 said:
I think DeCastro or Cox for me. Barron was considered a second end pick by most before the combine. Dont remember anything special he did at the combine and now not only is he a first rounder. Now he's top 15. Red flags everywhere for me on this guy.

Barron was never considered a 2nd round pick............esp not as such a short period as right before the combine. He was looked at as a late firs round prospect very early in the process back in September. Also people knew he was not going to work out at the combine so his stock was not effected pre or post.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Brockers should play right away as a rookie. He's got NFL size and strength and he received NFL coaching at the college level. LSU's defensive coordinator churned out tons of NFL defensive linemen at his old gig at the Univ. of Tennessee and his line coach at LSU is a former NFL D-line coach. He might just be a base two down player as a rookie, but there's a pretty good chance that's what he's going to be his entire career anyway.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
jamesdojr;4516389 said:

Well we had another fast riser like that work out for us.....Ware. He seemed to work out pretty well for us.

So a guy rises fast after teams work him out, interviews, combine, and such. I don't see how that is a bad thing or any kind of red flag whatsoever.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hostile;4516318 said:

Is there any chance the would move up for either cox or Barron?

SDogo

Reaction score
Teague31;4516413 said:
Is there any chance the would move up for either cox or Barron?

MAYBE Cox but he would have to fall some and I dont see him getting past 6-9

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Avery;4516371 said:
Indications I'm getting suggest Brockers is a 'sky is falling' plan at #14. If Decastro, Barron and Cox are all gone, Brockers would be the choice only if a tradedown wasn't possible.

If Cox, DeCastro, Barron, and Ingram are all off the board at 14, then multiple guys have to have fallen and you'd think someone would be chomping at the bit to trade up. No way that Brockers is the BPA in that scenario.

Wulfman

Unofficial GM
Reaction score
jamesdojr;4516389 said:

Of course you don't remember anything special he did at the combine...he had double hernia surgery and didn't workout. That was the reason he was ranked as only a late first rounder until he proved he was going to recuperate properly. If the combine had a positive effect on his stock, it was in the interviewing process, which should send up a green flag, not a red one. As soon as he had his pro day and showed that he was as good as he is and is still only 85-90% recovered, his stock jumped again.

I'll take this kind of climb on the boards ANYTIME.

As for who the Cowboys are targeting, I think they'd take Cox if he were available...but they (and I) will be shocked if he is. At that point, Barron is the guy. The only other guy I think they stand and pick if both Cox and Barron are gone is Ingram...and I don't expect him to be there either. At that point, I think they look to trade back into the late teens or early 20's and target Brockers, DeCastro, Gilmore, or McClellan.