Could Bill really release Vanderjagt?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
really release Mike Vanderjeckt (sp?)? just because hes been injured through out the off season and has only kicked one fg? yet have a double standards for terrell? hes done nothing yet there are no rumors of his release?

edit: corrected spelling :p

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I'm kind of wondering if the team won't bring in Gramatica & try him out, along with the 2 youngsters, for the rest of preseason. Gramatica was actually kicking better than both Vandy AND Vinatieri this preseason! We saw how Billy the Kid kicked with his groin injury--the Boys just might have to hold their breath, cut Vandy, & either go with youth or Gramatica.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Vandy costs less money and Vandy is a kicker. Different situations and I would be surprised if he were cut. Not totally surprise because anything is possible. This just does not seem likely.

How about they put him on IR for a year or PUP? :D

NorTex

Reaction score
I could see Vandy getting released...there is a big difference between an injured kicker and an injured position player. There are no backup kickers on the roster, there ARE backup WRs on the roster...

If the kicker isn't healthy going into the season, chances are that he will get reinjured during the year...might as well cut him loose, now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Vanderjagt will be released at this stage but I do think it opens the door for a young guy like Suisham to prove himself. If Suisham has to start the reg season and is making his kicks then he could end up taking the job.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Noway, but I could definitely see us having to carry 2 kickers now, which is a travesty.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
I'd be amazed if they threw away a guy with a contract that size just after signing him.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I don't think Vanderjagt will be released at this stage but I do think it opens the door for a young guy like Suisham to prove himself. If Suisham has to start the reg season and is making his kicks then he could end up taking the job.

I don't trust Suisham over a 16 game season.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Screw The Hall said:
Noway, but I could definitely see us having to carry 2 kickers now, which is a travesty.

Wasn't that the plan anyway, since Vandy isn't good at kicking off?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
really release Mike Vanderjeckt (sp?)? just because hes been injured through out the off season and has only kicked one fg? yet have a double standards for terrell? hes done nothing yet there are no rumors of his release?

well groin injuries are kind of funny. they linger for a long time. so BP has to have a backup plan. Mike Grammatica just got released from New England. so should we sign him?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They knew Vandy had groin problems when they signed him. (its pretty common for kickers) Its never prevented him from being the most accurate kicker in nfl history.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
I don't trust Suisham over a 16 game season.

I think Vandy will remian with the team but if he misses too much time in the reg season and Suisham is getting the job done then yes I could see him being released. I'm not saying this will be the case but it does open the door for a younger man to come in and prove himself.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
Wasn't that the plan anyway, since Vandy isn't good at kicking off?

I don't think it was the plan initially, but certainly the backup plan. The original one called for Vandy showing his leg in the preseason so BP could gauge his ability to k/o. They might be forced to go straight to plan B now.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
the kid 05 said:

There are no LEGITIMATE rumors about Vandy being cut, either... that's something that a sports writer for the Terre Haute Tribune-Star apparently made up...

At least, I've spent a fair amount of time today trying to find that article on dallascowboys.com that he claimed said Vandy was at risk for being cut, and I sure haven't seen anything that said that...

zack

Reaction score
the kid 05 said:

Hopefully not. See the past 10 years result when dealing with no name kickers. How many more times can we lose close games because of inexperienced kickers?:eek: