Could Bill really release Vanderjagt?

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Press Conference today pretty much put an end to this speculation. Parcells specifically stated that Vanderjagt's roster spot is not in jeopardy -- the only question is whether he'll be kicking off.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NinePointOh said:
Press Conference today pretty much put an end to this speculation. Parcells specifically stated that Vanderjagt's roster spot is not in jeopardy -- the only question is whether he'll be kicking off.

I seem to recall another player who's job was not in jeopardy. He is no longer on the team:laugh2:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
Noway, but I could definitely see us having to carry 2 kickers now, which is a travesty.
I hate the idea of having 2 kickers what a waste of spot. i would be happy if Vandy get cut

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
DB.COOPER said:
I hate the idea of having 2 kickers what a wasted of spot. i would be happy if Vandy get cut
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then when Suisham or Fredrickson missed 3 kicks in the season that could have iced the game, you'll be right back in here saying "WHY DIDN'T WE SIGN AN NFL KICKER!!!"

Wake up guys who want to see Vandy cut. Do you remember last year???

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
DB.COOPER said:
I hate the idea of having 2 kickers what a waste of spot. i would be happy if Vandy get cut

I don't like carrying two kickers anymore than you, but you don't cut the most accurate FG kicker in league history before he attempts one kick that matters for you. It's common sense really.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the Bears this preseason? I saw that Josh Huston was cut from their squad. He's the kicker that was ranked fairly high(as far as kickers go) coming out of Ohio State. He does get some really good distance on his kickoffs and seemed to be rather accurate for the most part.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
BP would be stupid to even put this bug in Vandy's ear. Vandy could kick anywhere in the league....has BP not learned a lesson from Cundiff and Cortez? You lose close games when you don't have a dependable kicker.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
frankly, i'm more worried about vanderjagt than TO. as parcells always says, at some point during preseason, an aging player has to prove that he still has "tread on the tire". i don't think there's any question of this with TO. vandy is another matter. quite simply, he has to get out and play. now.

as for being cut...we already took a $2.9m cap hit by cutting henson, and cutting vandy would accelerate a good chunk of change into this year's cap.

remember, 3 kicks were the difference between 9-7 and 12-4 last year.

these two factors will result in vandy getting the benefit of the doubt, but only until the last preseason game. if he's not in "most accurate kicker in NFL history" form by then, he's gone.

Dallas31

Reaction score
the kid 05 said:
really release Mike Vanderjeckt (sp?)? just because hes been injured through out the off season and has only kicked one fg? yet have a double standards for terrell? hes done nothing yet there are no rumors of his release?

edit: corrected spelling :p

no...

raichledog

Reaction score
Just in case anyone forgot, this guy is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and we had 6 games decided by 7 points or less last year. We signed him for a reason, and that's to win games in the regular season. I look at this the same way as I do TO, would it be nice to have him 100% in the pre-season? Hell yes, but would I rather them rest and be 100% on opening day? Um... yeah.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
raichledog said:
Just in case anyone forgot, this guy is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and we had 6 games decided by 7 points or less last year. We signed him for a reason, and that's to win games in the regular season. I look at this the same way as I do TO, would it be nice to have him 100% in the pre-season? Hell yes, but would I rather them rest and be 100% on opening day? Um... yeah.

A voice of reason. Keep that up and you'll start confusing people.

raichledog

Reaction score
Screw The Hall said:
A voice of reason. Keep that up and you'll start confusing people.

sorry, I meant to say Cut Vandy, cut TO, and lets not stop progress with Bledsoe, bring on Romo!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
raichledog said:
sorry, I meant to say Cut Vandy, cut TO, and lets not stop progress with Bledsoe, bring on Romo!

You lost the title of voice of reason. :lmao2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
silverbear said:
There are no LEGITIMATE rumors about Vandy being cut, either... that's something that a sports writer for the Terre Haute Tribune-Star apparently made up...

At least, I've spent a fair amount of time today trying to find that article on dallascowboys.com that he claimed said Vandy was at risk for being cut, and I sure haven't seen anything that said that...

Substantive and objective. Thanks for the leg work.

Hiero

Reaction score
could anyone be stupid enough to have any inkling of a thought that this would actually happen? who is gonna take his spot, suisham?? hah

Hailmary

Reaction score
Vandy's not going anywhere, but it may be wise to stash away Fredrickson or someone else in the PS....just in case the groin thing becomes a chronic problem.