Could Cowboys be interested in Cordarrelle Patterson

Rockdoc

Reaction score
great idea
took him a little time to develop but i think he is ready to go off.
i loved him coming out of college.

eternaljester81

Reaction score
I like him and Alshon Jeffery. Both solid..no drama WR that are still young and have plenty of upside. WR is a need that can be easily addressed in FA. Draft Defense! Please!

After his suspension for PEDs this season, I wouldn't classify Jeffery as "no drama". I'd still happily take him though.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am torn on Patterson. He could be a late bloomer. He has the top end speed to be a real threat but I think he is a bit of a one trick pony.

He is an adequate returner but you can draft a dedicated return man only very cheaply and save the 5 million. I think Kenny Stills who will probably cost about the same is a player with a lot more upside as a receiver.

robjay04

Reaction score
I like Patterson as a depth receiver. TWill is a better number 2 though by quite a margin. Patterson is just not a good receiver though at this point.

It's very possible though, I don't expect him to be too expensive. A big reason why I think this will happen is Derek Dooley...those kind of connections are a big deal in free agency.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
He was complaining about touches last year. Here he wouldn't even start next to Dez because he's never proven he could start. So he'd be behind Dez, Beasley, Witten and the actual starting receiver. How about we just sign Ted Ginn, a guy with speed, return ability, starting experience, and isn't going to ***** about touches. Dez, Ginn, Beasley, draft pick, Fred Ross udfa.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
With the depth of WR in this year's draft, I would really hesitate giving any more than a relatively small contract to a FA WR, especially since that WR is going to be our #4 receiving option, on a run first team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Nope Patterson is football dumb his measurables got him drafted his brain has got him firmly entrenched as a good KR only.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am torn on Patterson. He could be a late bloomer. He has the top end speed to be a real threat but I think he is a bit of a one trick pony.

He is an adequate returner but you can draft a dedicated return man only very cheaply and save the 5 million. I think Kenny Stills who will probably cost about the same is a player with a lot more upside as a receiver.
Cordarrelle Patterson wants to play RB next season
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...ants_to_play_rb_next_season/s1_12680_23087902

The Minnesota Vikings have struggled to find a role for Cordarrelle Patterson since he was brought in as a first-round pick out of Tennessee in 2013.

After watching the Green Bay Packers turn receiver Ty Montgomery into a running back this past season out of necessity, Patterson would love the chance to move into a similar role in 2017.

“I’ve been wanting to play running back,” Patterson said this week in an appearance on the podcast Pardon My Take (h/t Chad Graff of TwinCities.com)

There has never been any doubt about his ability to make game-changing plays when he has the ball in his hands. This became evident early in his career when he parlayed his talents into a prominent role as a kickoff return man - something he’s continued to do throughout his four-year career.

“I would love to play running back,” Patterson said on the podcast. “I think any receiver in my position would love to play running back. People always say, ‘He’s just a running back when he gets the ball in his hands.’ ”

When given limited opportunities to run the ball on jet sweeps or even as a primary running back, Patterson has delivered. With 333 yards and four touchdowns on 31 career carries (10.7 yards per carry), he’s clearly a tremendously explosive option out of the backfield.

Verdict

Reaction score
Cordarrelle Patterson wants to play RB next season
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...ants_to_play_rb_next_season/s1_12680_23087902

The Minnesota Vikings have struggled to find a role for Cordarrelle Patterson since he was brought in as a first-round pick out of Tennessee in 2013.

After watching the Green Bay Packers turn receiver Ty Montgomery into a running back this past season out of necessity, Patterson would love the chance to move into a similar role in 2017.

“I’ve been wanting to play running back,” Patterson said this week in an appearance on the podcast Pardon My Take (h/t Chad Graff of TwinCities.com)

There has never been any doubt about his ability to make game-changing plays when he has the ball in his hands. This became evident early in his career when he parlayed his talents into a prominent role as a kickoff return man - something he’s continued to do throughout his four-year career.

“I would love to play running back,” Patterson said on the podcast. “I think any receiver in my position would love to play running back. People always say, ‘He’s just a running back when he gets the ball in his hands.’ ”

When given limited opportunities to run the ball on jet sweeps or even as a primary running back, Patterson has delivered. With 333 yards and four touchdowns on 31 career carries (10.7 yards per carry), he’s clearly a tremendously explosive option out of the backfield.

That may be the best role for him. He is probably not a guy who could take a repeated beating like a tradidional RB could but he could probably carry the ball about 7 times per game or on 3rd down and be pretty productive.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That may be the best role for him. He is probably not a guy who could take a repeated beating like a tradidional RB could but he could probably carry the ball about 7 times per game or on 3rd down and be pretty productive.
I think somebody will pay him too much to make it worth it for the Cowboys. He would not likely be a good option as a true #2 WR for the Cowboys because his mental makeup appears to limit his ability to be a great route runner and to develop great scheme knowledge.

For a team that has a #1 WR in the mold of a Larry Fitzgerald that is a master of his craft and has a great mental makeup, then having Patterson as the #2 WR and deep-threat would be more feasible.

If Patterson is available for about 1.5M, then it might be worth it for a better gimmick player than Lucky.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think somebody will pay him too much to make it worth it for the Cowboys. He would not likely be a good option as a true #2 WR for the Cowboys because his mental makeup appears to limit his ability to be a great route runner and to develop great scheme knowledge.

For a team that has a #1 WR in the mold of a Larry Fitzgerald that is a master of his craft and has a great mental makeup, then having Patterson as the #2 WR and deep-threat would be more feasible.

If Patterson is available for about 1.5M, then it might be worth it for a better gimmick player than Lucky.

I am not sure the market will be very high for him. He has been a bust, relatively speaking for the Vikings. He is worth more than Lucky Whitehead from a potential upside standpoint. I agree he would not be a very viable #2 receiver as he seems to be a poor man's Dez Bryant. Same type of mental makeup, but a lot less strong and less productive. A bit of a mental midget.

This isn't the type of player you pay a lot of money to. You get him at a bargain price and see if you can milk his production up a bit. Use him for what he can do, and let the rest go.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I am not sure the market will be very high for him. He has been a bust, relatively speaking for the Vikings. He is worth more than Lucky Whitehead from a potential upside standpoint. I agree he would not be a very viable #2 receiver as he seems to be a poor man's Dez Bryant. Same type of mental makeup, but a lot less strong and less productive. A bit of a mental midget.

This isn't the type of player you pay a lot of money to. You get him at a bargain price and see if you can milk his production up a bit. Use him for what he can do, and let the rest go.

Even more of a head case he can only line up on the side of the field his team is on so they can yell at him to either get on the line or off the line.