Could James Casey be Cowboys' Wildcat QB?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Maybe this is what jerry jones was eluding too about using wildcat offense; your thoughts?
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/

Could James Casey be Cowboys' Wildcat QB?
5:43 PM Tue, Apr 21, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

The Cowboys will send a scouting contingent to Houston tomorrow for a private workout with Rice TE James Casey, ESPN.com's Matt Mosley reports.

Casey, a 24-year-old Azle product, might be the most versatile player in the draft. He was a high school quarterback who spent four seasons pitching in the White Sox's system before going to Rice, where he played several positions but was primarily used as a tight end/H-back/slot receiver last season.

Casey (6-4, 246) has experience running Rice's variation of the Wildcat and could also contribute immediately on special teams. NFL Draft Scout compares him to a combination of New England WR Wes Welker and Indianapolis TE Dallas Clark.

If the Cowboys want Casey, they'll probably have to grab him with one of their first two picks. He isn't expected to last past the third round.

RS12

Reaction score
I got a funny feeling he'll be wearing the star.

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
I don't get it. This pick and the way everyone is predicting it reminds me a lot of Fasano.

I just don't get it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
irvin4evs;2739631 said:
I don't get it. This pick and the way everyone is predicting it reminds me a lot of Fasano.

I just don't get it.

yeah im not fond of taking him with our 3rd rounder, just too risky to me, but a couple on this board like jerry advocate says he is a great player

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
Like, I understand why people like him. He's obviously extremely athletic, and he's reportedly a hard worker and all...but how would we use him?

Sorry, he isn't a fullback, and unless we're getting Darryl ******* Johnston, we shouldn't be drafting one within the first three rounds. Casey looks like a WR, so I don't understand the FB dreams.

Moreover, we hardly play with a fullback, and if we were getting one, shouldn't it be a BLOCKING fullback, given that we don't actually throw or run with the fullback?

This is such a Parcells-like infatuation and it bothers me. With Witten and Bennett this guy just doesn't have a place in the offense.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
irvin4evs;2739658 said:
Like, I understand why people like him. He's obviously extremely athletic, and he's reportedly a hard worker and all...but how would we use him?

Sorry, he isn't a fullback, and unless we're getting Darryl ******* Johnston, we shouldn't be drafting one within the first three rounds. Casey looks like a WR, so I don't understand the FB dreams.

Moreover, we hardly play with a fullback, and if we were getting one, shouldn't it be a BLOCKING fullback, given that we don't actually throw or run with the fullback?

This is such a Parcells-like infatuation and it bothers me. With Witten and Bennett this guy just doesn't have a place in the offense.

Casey actually is avery tough nosed blocker in space. While he did not block out of the backfield at Rice, he did block out of he slot, and he used to wipe out LBs and DBs just fine. At just under 250 (w/almost zero fat) I am sure he will be fine. The guy is a warrior, just point him in the direction of your enemies and say "git", he'll come back w/heads & ears aplenty. :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
people can't really knock his blocking when he couldn't block much in Rice's spread offense

and some people don't realize that he didn't play TE at Rice, he was split out wide

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2739673 said:
people can't really knock his blocking when he couldn't block much in Rice's spread offense

and some people don't realize that he didn't play TE at Rice, he was split out wide

ESPN Mosley: Shhh, the following Cowboys tidbit is confidential...TE James Casey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 21, 2009 7:41 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

The Dallas Cowboys are sending a delegation to Houston on Wednesday for a private workout with former Rice tight end James Casey. So why would a team already stacked at that position be so intrigued with the 24-year-old Casey?

Well, we're hearing the Cowboys are projecting Casey (6-foot-3, 246) as a fullback who could also play quarterback in the Wildcat formation. And it's interesting to note that another team high on Casey, the Miami Dolphins, helped launch the latest trend in the league. At Rice, the "Wildcat" was actually called the "Thor," which also happens to be Casey's nickname.

Anyway, keep your eye on Casey in the second or third round. He's a versatile player (can return punts and deep snap) who's sort of flown under the radar. Casey also happens to be a daily Beast reader, so that puts him ahead of the game.

By the way, thanks for your patience today while I worked on an "important" project. We'll be back to full strength in the morning.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Thor is also a LS?? I thought I knew all about this guy, he just keeps adding new skills to the resume. Nice!!

cowboyjoe;2739680 said:
ESPN Mosley: Shhh, the following Cowboys tidbit is confidential...TE James Casey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 21, 2009 7:41 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

The Dallas Cowboys are sending a delegation to Houston on Wednesday for a private workout with former Rice tight end James Casey. So why would a team already stacked at that position be so intrigued with the 24-year-old Casey?

Well, we're hearing the Cowboys are projecting Casey (6-foot-3, 246) as a fullback who could also play quarterback in the Wildcat formation. And it's interesting to note that another team high on Casey, the Miami Dolphins, helped launch the latest trend in the league. At Rice, the "Wildcat" was actually called the "Thor," which also happens to be Casey's nickname.

Anyway, keep your eye on Casey in the second or third round. He's a versatile player (can return punts and deep snap) who's sort of flown under the radar. Casey also happens to be a daily Beast reader, so that puts him ahead of the game.

By the way, thanks for your patience today while I worked on an "important" project. We'll be back to full strength in the morning.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2739689 said:
Thor is also a LS?? I thought I knew all about this guy, he just keeps adding new skills to the resume. Nice!!

thats what the article said, i think you need to ask jerryadvocate about him, he seems to know alot about him i think

im just not fond of drafting a TE/FB or FB/TE with your high 3rd rounder

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the idea of adding Casey. He can play multiple positions FB TE QB WR. Don't mind him at all.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2739821 said:
I wouldn't mind the idea of adding Casey. He can play multiple positions FB TE QB WR. Don't mind him at all.

yeah i think thats what jerry jones said the other day about the wildcat position that it necessarily didnt have to be a QB, but someone else on the team or to draft a QB to fill that position as wildcat QB,

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2739827 said:
yeah i think thats what jerry jones said the other day about the wildcat position that it necessarily didnt have to be a QB, but someone else on the team or to draft a QB to fill that position as wildcat QB,

I know Casey has experience running the ball. Running the ball out of the shot gun also and I think he used to be a QB in HS.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2739831 said:
I know Casey has experience running the ball. Running the ball out of the shot gun also and I think he used to be a QB in HS.

Yep. He also has a very strong arm, although he didn't cut it in MLB b/c he lacked control (threw 90 plus tho).

dmoore

Reaction score
Why is Wildcat QB considered to be an actual position now? Seriously, it's a gimmick and I don't see why EVERY team needs to hop on board now. I'd rather put the ball in Romo's hands then a 3rd or 4th round pick who has 10 plays designed for him in the playbook.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I have a feeling we'll still be looking for a Delmas, Smith, Chung/type at safety, or a Robiskie/Nicks type at WR with our first pick.

I think Casey may be plan b if we can't trade up, or if one of those guys doesn't fall.

Definitely not a sexy pick....at all.....I can think of more pressing needs than an H or FB. I'm willing to defer to TC though...he's been right more than I have.

I would think we have some kind of plan for NT, OL, WR, MLB, OLB, and Safety.