Could NFL Ban Hugely Successful E-Gals Play In 2023?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They didn't have a problem for many years with the rule that you can't physically push the ball carrier forward.

What bothers me is when I listen to the Philly radio stations and they never once mentioned why the league is looking to remove that play. They think it's about them.

The league doesn't want 32 teams running that play, or a variation of that play on every 3rd and 1. All year long. They found a loophole, and the league is considering closing it. Not because the Eagles are so great.

It was cool for a year, and because only the Eagles were doing it. But even Eagles fans should be able to see what's coming. But I would think even Eagles fans wouldn't want this play being used on every 3rd or 4th and short, by every team, all year long.
They removed it because they were having problems with it. That's why only pulling is a penalty now. Linemen come up and push the pile all the time. We've seen times with our team where they practically carry the back.

They can get specific and ban this play, and they should, but banning pushing in general gets a little more difficult to regulate. Is the blocker pushing the back or is he blocking?

Flamma

Reaction score
They removed it because they were having problems with it. That's why only pulling is a penalty now. Linemen come up and push the pile all the time. We've seen times with our team where they practically carry the back.

They can get specific and ban this play, and they should, but banning pushing in general gets a little more difficult to regulate. Is the blocker pushing the back or is he blocking?
I see your point. And it can get difficult to officiate. But IMO as long as you're not pushing the actual runner, just the pile, it should be ok.

Who knows what they'll come up with. They might go back to the old rule. Or they might just limit it to the player taking the snap. But we know they'll come up with something.