Could or Are We Witnessing A Change In NFL Players Mentality?

jrumann59

Reaction score
It also could be TB players know what it was like before brady and wont get off that bus voluntarily.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coming off a Super Bowl and Tom Brady returning, I think it's a highly unique position that most players would want to be a part of if given the chance.

The Chiefs are about the only team that comes close in comparison right now in that respect.

You cannot apply that mindset to other teams, especially those who rarely get anywhere near a Super Bowl or that have unproven quarterbacks.
I don't agree, players at a young age want to get paid and winners feel that they can win anywhere....TB had a ready made team and took advantage of a weird year. Brady was good, but was not anywhere near too great.....their defense was great, that's why they won. Back to to topic, I feel getting all there players back is just a coincidence and not setting the tone for the future.

DanA

Reaction score
NBA just doesn't have the injury risk of the NFL. You can sacrifice a bit more money to win in the NBA and know that that might pay off down the road (looking good on a winning team). In the NFL you have to get your pay check when you can because the risk of one hit ending it all is far greater. Nobody wants to play without guaranteed money.

Last edited:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
The Bucs really did something remarkable this offseason by getting nearly everyone of their players and coaches to run it back, i think they lost only one player although i could be wrong though ! I am sure some players could have gotten far more money somewhere else lavonte David and Barret and Godwin ( franchise tagged ) come to mind .I am sure on some level Tom Brady had a little to do with it. Maybe some players had made their money already and are looking for rings now like Suh, Gronk and Brown !

Are we witnessing a change in the way players look at free agency and the whole money vs situation & championship thing ? or Is this an anomaly because of Tom Brady ?

I ask that to ask this

What are the chances this becomes a change in the way players look at their situation and championship chances if the Bucs were to go back to back ? I would love to see Gallop stay in all honesty and keep this offense together while continuing to build the D through the draft !

For the record - I am of the mind set players should get theirs when it comes to money since careers are so short But it would be a nice change to see more athletes do this ! Thoughts ?
You basically answered your own question - short career, gotta get theirs while they can.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Players choose quality organizations...as long as as Jerry runs this...it's going to be a circus. Players tend to stay away from chaos...regardless of the money thrown at them.

Proof

Reaction score
i mean really, it was only a handful of guys gronk and AB weren’t going anywhere, godwin got tagged and they gave pretty good deals to both david and barrett shaq played on a 4 yr deal for them two years ago, won a title and gets to get a mega payday and run it back think he’s the fourth highest olb now, and he wasn’t jumping khalil so his ceiling was probably fred warner which is like 2 million more a season i think the chance to continue playing with Brady while making top 5 money is a pretty good situation david has been there all along so you have the home team factor and shot at a repeat and he only signed a two year deal so it really isn’t that huge of a couple in my mind not like they re-signed 22 guys all on steals they signed two guys, for fair deals and tagged the other

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
No, there is no change in players' mentality generally speaking, ...and no we cannot blame players like Gallup from getting his big pay day. That is his second contract and the one he will most likely depend on for taking care of his family in the future after his playing days are over. As for Coop "settling" for less here in Dallas, not really when you think about the tax differences involved. Texas has no state income tax. BTW, there also is no state income tax in Florida.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The Bucs really did something remarkable this offseason by getting nearly everyone of their players and coaches to run it back, i think they lost only one player although i could be wrong though ! I am sure some players could have gotten far more money somewhere else lavonte David and Barret and Godwin ( franchise tagged ) come to mind .I am sure on some level Tom Brady had a little to do with it. Maybe some players had made their money already and are looking for rings now like Suh, Gronk and Brown !

Are we witnessing a change in the way players look at free agency and the whole money vs situation & championship thing ? or Is this an anomaly because of Tom Brady ?

I ask that to ask this

What are the chances this becomes a change in the way players look at their situation and championship chances if the Bucs were to go back to back ? I would love to see Gallop stay in all honesty and keep this offense together while continuing to build the D through the draft !

For the record - I am of the mind set players should get theirs when it comes to money since careers are so short But it would be a nice change to see more athletes do this ! Thoughts ?

It really depends on the player, but being a recent Super Bowl winner does have its perks in attracting veteran talent at moderate discounts. Having Tom Brady in your ear may be a factor too.

Overall, I don't think there's a massive shift in philosphy, players still want to be paid their worth in their prime years, but as players age there are some other factors at play too where maximizing money may not be the number 1 priority for some. I hope a player like Dak takes a Brady-esch approach to his next contract if he continues to play at a high level.

vlad

Reaction score
Brady is prob a mythical player to a lot of these dudes but I think fans care way more about the teams the players do...otherwise like say you got drafted by the eagles or chargers or whatever wouldn’t you try to come to play for Dallas? But would be cool to see

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think one aspect of it is the situation with playing With the greatest player who ever lived, and the other is TB’s general situation of not being straddled by bad contracts, being set up at all the right positions, and basically having a superstar QB land in their lap. It was a perfect storm, probably never to be replicated

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
TB getting all players back is an oddity. It's not a sign of the times so don't expect this to happen again.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Money first in a league where an average NFL career is 3.3 to 4 years. Not what I think, it's the way it is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Players are soft and greedy. It’s only going to get worse, not better.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
It’s all about Brady and riding the GOAT to another championship. It’s a unique circumstance .

plasticman

Reaction score
The fact that they won the Super Bowl has everything to do with it.

14 of their 17 free agent signings were 1 year deals, 2 of them were 2 year deals and the final one, the kicker, was a 3 year deal. The majority of them just want to do it again and then they will go looking for the big money after 2021..