CFZ Could Princeton Fant be the Steal of UDFA?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm taking a second look at this guy, Princeton Fant. Anyone who has paid attention to what I have said leading up to the draft knows I liked Jalen Cropper. I just think he could have a place on the team, as a WR who comes in at times to stir things up. He'd be especially good at that in the NFL, at the 3 read, because he knows how to get open, and he's very QB friendly.

But I'm imagining Cropper in a WCO offense. And I'm now seeing what the scouts must have been seeing in Princeton Fant. Mike McCarthy wanted players who can play several positions, or do more than one thing, i.e., no one-trick ponies if it's possibly his last year in big D. He wants a trim roster, so he can get the guys he wants onto the field. Anyway, this Princeton Fant feller. He's got some Noah Brown in him off the bat. People say he isn't an NFL receiver. I call BS. He can be. He can also be that FB, TE, HB type player too - like a poor man's Deebo Samuel.

Hear me out on this guy. He's a type of player who can play FB, check, WR, yeah, a little, check, RB, check, TE, check.. He's got the attribute to move around, especially in a motion-heavy WCO. The Cowboys are better when they're running motion plays, and I expect to see more WCO motion and WCO quick-release plays, where, all of a sudden a guy like Princeton Fant can become an interesting tool in the toolbox, sort of a Jack of all trades type of guy McCarthy was looking for. He's got some game in him. It'll come down to if he has that proverbial dog in him, but I suspect they may have his head spinning by TC. But there's a chance that could pay off for him and Luepke who is a similar sort of player.

Lastly, I wonder what Fant's RAS would be at WR, RB, TE, and FB....In the NFL, he makes a better WR, FB.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I can't see us keeping more than one of Luepke/Fant on the 53, but he shows the kind of skills to be that multi-tool threat. Will be interesting to watch those two duke it out, and if we decide we want that kind of player over one of the strictly TEs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He could replace McKeon if they keep 4 TE's. Otherwise a PS guy for now. However, they have seemed to like McKeon as well.

I liked the highlight video. But that is what they are, just highlights. How about everything else his speed, and measurable's as well. Blocking also.

I liked he played on the goal line and the 2nd effort for the TD was great.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
A guy that versatile is very likely capable of playing heavy special teams, possibly up back on all returns, personal protector, TE, or wing on punt, up back on kick return, maybe even kickoff if he can tackle. A guy who can do it all on special teams, provide depth at TE and FB has a great chance of making the team.

The video was indeed highlights, but highlights mean more to me when you play for Tenn than when you play for JMU. He faced big time competition.

nathanlt

Reaction score
He seems like a Deebo Samuel type player. That could be interesting. Who, among these rookies is low profile enough to make it to the practice squad? I'm betting that we regret sending a few there, some will surprisingly make it through waivers. The off season is such an optimistic time.

What exactly distinguishes him from, say Rico Gathers, who seemed like such an intriguing prospect, but turned out to be minimally impactful? I'm genuinely asking.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Too many talented players in front of him. If he shows anything it will be to the PS for him to continue developing. You never know but he will always be competing with more talented drafted players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He seems like a Deebo Samuel type player. That could be interesting. Who, among these rookies is low profile enough to make it to the practice squad? I'm betting that we regret sending a few there, some will surprisingly make it through waivers. The off season is such an optimistic time.

What exactly distinguishes him from, say Rico Gathers, who seemed like such an intriguing prospect, but turned out to be minimally impactful? I'm genuinely asking.
Rico Gathers was never truly a legit prospect. He was a hooper turned football player.

Carson

Reaction score
Too many talented players in front of him. If he shows anything it will be to the PS for him to continue developing. You never know but he will always be competing with more talented drafted players.
He really needs to beat out McKeon and Leupke.

I’ve been saying it though. He will beat them out and make the 53. He can block at TE, pass catch, run block, run the ball, throw the ball and line up at FB. He does too much to help the team out

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm taking a second look at this guy, Princeton Fant. Anyone who has paid attention to what I have said leading up to the draft knows I liked Jalen Cropper. I just think he could have a place on the team, as a WR who comes in at times to stir things up. He'd be especially good at that in the NFL, at the 3 read, because he knows how to get open, and he's very QB friendly.

But I'm imagining Cropper in a WCO offense. And I'm now seeing what the scouts must have been seeing in Princeton Fant. Mike McCarthy wanted players who can play several positions, or do more than one thing, i.e., no one-trick ponies if it's possibly his last year in big D. He wants a trim roster, so he can get the guys he wants onto the field. Anyway, this Princeton Fant feller. He's got some Noah Brown in him off the bat. People say he isn't an NFL receiver. I call BS. He can be. He can also be that FB, TE, HB type player too - like a poor man's Deebo Samuel.

Hear me out on this guy. He's a type of player who can play FB, check, WR, yeah, a little, check, RB, check, TE, check.. He's got the attribute to move around, especially in a motion-heavy WCO. The Cowboys are better when they're running motion plays, and I expect to see more WCO motion and WCO quick-release plays, where, all of a sudden a guy like Princeton Fant can become an interesting tool in the toolbox, sort of a Jack of all trades type of guy McCarthy was looking for. He's got some game in him. It'll come down to if he has that proverbial dog in him, but I suspect they may have his head spinning by TC. But there's a chance that could pay off for him and Luepke who is a similar sort of player.

Lastly, I wonder what Fant's RAS would be at WR, RB, TE, and FB....In the NFL, he makes a better WR, FB.

its between him and Luepke for that hybrid HB,FB, TE position and I think Luepke gets the nod, because he can run a little.

I think this guy is a candidate for PS and is essentially a blocking TE,

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He's basically in a competition with Luepke for an H-back/ST role, and they're in competition with McKeon for basically the last roster spot on the offensive side of the ball.

Toss up as to which way it actually goes.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He really needs to beat out McKeon and Leupke.

I’ve been saying it though. He will beat them out and make the 53. He can block at TE, pass catch, run block, run the ball, throw the ball and line up at FB. He does too much to help the team out
That would be great if he does all those things well. I doubt that will end up being the case seeing as no one thought he was worthy of a draft pick. I know UFAs surprise all the time and maybe he will but I just don’t see him doing any of those things well enough to see the field and even if he works his way into a backup role, every year will bring more talented players in the draft. Big uphill climb ahead of him but he is a Cowboys so just like all the rest, I’ll be happy as hell if he gives the team production that out performs his costs.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That would be great if he does all those things well. I doubt that will end up being the case seeing as no one thought he was worthy of a draft pick. I know UFAs surprise all the time and maybe he will but I just don’t see him doing any of those things well enough to see the field and even if he works his way into a backup role, every year will bring more talented players in the draft. Big uphill climb ahead of him but he is a Cowboys so just like all the rest, I’ll be happy as hell if he gives the team production that out performs his costs.
You can say the same thing about Luepke...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Fant isnt lining up at WR ever. He runs a 4.66 40. He might make the PS, but Luepke is a much better prospect and fit for us.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think the more realistic hope would be that he’s a poor man’s Delanie Walker rather than a Deebo Samuels.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's basically in a competition with Luepke for an H-back/ST role, and they're in competition with McKeon for basically the last roster spot on the offensive side of the ball.

Toss up as to which way it actually goes.
Luepke could possibly even be the #3 HB. I think you will probably see 2 or Luepke, McKeon and Malik Davis on the roster. I think keeping Davis, Luepke and cutting McKeon is the most likely scenario