CFZ Could Princeton Fant be the Steal of UDFA?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Fant isnt lining up at WR ever. He runs a 4.66 40. He might make the PS, but Luepke is a much better prospect and fit for us.
There's no functional difference between a 4.56 and a 4.66 FB/TE. Neither is going to win vertically with speed, nor are they ever going to be asked to.

Virtually no difference in prospect caliber between the two.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the more realistic hope would be that he’s a poor man’s Delanie Walker rather than a Deebo Samuels.
Id even use a Bill Simmons classification and say a homeless persons Delanie Walker.

I get its the offseason and its the time to ponder a UDFA's potential, but any comparison of Fant to a player like Samuel is going to far

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Luepke could possibly even be the #3 HB. I think you will probably see 2 or Luepke, McKeon and Malik Davis on the roster. I think keeping Davis, Luepke and cutting McKeon is the most likely scenario
We need to stop thinking about these guys as where they fit on the depth chart (i.e. #3 HB) vs. what roles they're going to fill. I doubt that Luepke would surpass Davis and Vaughn anyway.

Luepke, Mckeon, and Fant would all be competing for a spot on special teams and niche roles in the offense - basically H-back with primarily a blocking responsibility. Anything beyond that - like being a short-yardage runner - is lower down the list in how they'll make the roster.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There's no functional difference between a 4.56 and a 4.66 FB/TE. Neither is going to win vertically with speed, nor are they ever going to be asked to.

Virtually no difference in prospect caliber between the two.
Luepke is a much better prospect because he can used as a legitimate HB.

I think you are misreading my comment on the 40. That has nothing to do with Leupke. That is about the idea that Fant can play WR. Thats never going to happen

There is a very significant difference between a 4.56 and a 4.66 40 yard dash time.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We need to stop thinking about these guys as where they fit on the depth chart (i.e. #3 HB) vs. what roles they're going to fill. I doubt that Luepke would surpass Davis and Vaughn anyway.

Luepke, Mckeon, and Fant would all be competing for a spot on special teams and niche roles in the offense - basically H-back with primarily a blocking responsibility. Anything beyond that - like being a short-yardage runner - is lower down the list in how they'll make the roster.
Which is why Luepke will likely win. Because can fill several different roles where they others cant

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

I think you are misreading my comment on the 40. That has nothing to do with Leupke. That is about the idea that Fant can play WR. Thats never going to happen

There is a very significant difference between a 4.56 and a 4.66 40 yard dash time.
No, that does not make him a better prospect. The fact that he can be Rex Burkhead doesn't matter because Rex Burkhead doesn't help you win games.

Neither can play WR. In small spaces - where these two guys will play - there is no functional difference.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Which is why Luepke will likely win. Because can fill several different roles where they others cant
You're way overvaluing his ability as a running back, and there's nothing to suggest he's a better blocker or receiver from the TE/FB slot than Mckeon or Fant as of yet.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, that does not make him a better prospect. The fact that he can be Rex Burkhead doesn't matter because Rex Burkhead doesn't help you win games.

Neither can play WR. In small spaces - where these two guys will play - there is no functional difference.
What makes him a better prospect is the fact that he is better football player than Fant is. There isnt really anything Fant can do on an NFL level. Most people had Luepke as a draftable prospect. No one had Fant as a draftable prospect.

No **** **** neither can play WR lol. Tell the OP that

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're way overvaluing his ability as a running back, and there's nothing to suggest he's a better blocker or receiver from the TE/FB slot than Mckeon or Fant as of yet.
If you think Fant is as good a player, then you are way overvalueing Fant.

No one is pretending Luepke is some secret weapon at HB, but he has the skill and experience to be an effective short yardage runner in the NFL.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What makes him a better prospect is the fact that he is better football player than Fant is. There isnt really anything Fant can do on an NFL level. Most people had Luepke as a draftable prospect. No one had Fant as a draftable prospect.
The idea that Fant can't do anything in the NFL but Luepke is silly. It doesn't matter where they were ranked on draft boards, especially after neither was drafted.

Fant had 8 touchdowns in the SEC and showed to be a capable short-yardage runner in the SEC. The TD run he had against Alabama is as telling of what he can do in the NFL as anything Luepke did in the FCS, because this is all you'll ever ask either to do as a runner in the NFL.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The idea that Fant can't do anything in the NFL but Luepke is silly. It doesn't matter where they were ranked on draft boards, especially after neither was drafted.

Fant had 8 touchdowns in the SEC and showed to be a capable short-yardage runner in the SEC. The TD run he had against Alabama is as telling of what he can do in the NFL as anything Luepke did in the FCS, because this is all you'll ever ask either to do as a runner in the NFL.

Fant has 9 carries his whole career. Come on now Leupke got 200k in guarentees. Its pretty clear who they value more

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Fant has 9 carries his whole career. Come on now Leupke got 200k in guarentees. Its pretty clear who they value more
Guarantees don't matter because that money is irrelevant to the Cowboys. It's not even the most the Cowboys gave out to a UDFA.

9 carries, 5 touchdowns - doing the exact same type of work that they might ask these guys to do in the NFL, but against SEC competition.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Guarantees don't matter because that money is irrelevant to the Cowboys. It's not even the most the Cowboys gave out to a UDFA.

9 carries, 5 touchdowns - doing the exact same type of work that they might ask these guys to do in the NFL, but against SEC competition.
Guarantees to UDFA's absolutely do matter. UDFA's getting 200k dont usually get cut. If you want to take an educated guess as to what UDFA's a team intends to keep, just look at who they gave guarentees too. Not to say Leupke or any other UDFA we gave money to is a lock (we cut Leary after giving him a sizable guarentee), but they definitely value Leupke more than Fant and he has a very good chance at making the final roster.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Guarantees to UDFA's absolutely do matter. UDFA's getting 200k dont usually get cut. If you want to take an educated guess as to what UDFA's a team intends to keep, just look at who they gave guarentees too. Not to say Leupke or any other UDFA we gave money to is a lock (we cut Leary after giving him a sizable guarentee), but they definitely value Leupke more than Fant and he has a very good chance at making the final roster.
No they don't. UDFAs always get cut lol

Are Tyrus Wheat and Earl Bostick going to make the team? They both got the same or more than Luepke. Guarantees to UDFAs mean absolutely nothing in terms of their chances of making an NFL roster.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I'm mostly talking about motioning from TE to WR or FB to WR..or WR to HB..things like that.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I believe they're keeping Luepke, which means only 3 TE's on the roster. In this scenario, Fant only makes the team if he beats out Hendershot.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can tell yourself that all you want. Its completely false
Prove that there's any truth to it. Here's all the guys who were guaranteed more than $180k last year

Carson Strong, QB, $320k - Cut
Zach McCloud, LB, $250k - Cut
Kennedy Brooks, RB, #240k - Practice Squad
Noah Elliss, DT, $240k - Practice Squad
Kevin Austin, WR, $230k - Practice Squad
EJ Perry, QB, $230k - Practice Squad
Luiji Vilain, LB, $227k - 53, 3 games
Rashid Shaheed, WR, $222k - Practice Squad, Elevated
Abram Smith, RB, $222k - Cut
Mario Goodrich, CB, $217k - Practice Squad
Markquese Bell, S, $215k - 53, 5 games
Myron tagovailoa-Amosa, DT, $207k - Practice Squad
Haggai Chisom Ndubuisi, T, $207k - Intl. Practice Squad
Christopher Allen, OLB, $180k - IR
Kody Russey, C, $180k - Practice Squad

There's just absolutely nothing to correlate guarantees to UDFAs to making a roster.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He could replace McKeon if they keep 4 TE's. Otherwise a PS guy for now. However, they have seemed to like McKeon as well.

I liked the highlight video. But that is what they are, just highlights. How about everything else his speed, and measurable's as well. Blocking also.

I liked he played on the goal line and the 2nd effort for the TD was great.
I recommend watching his videos. Those who put him in the TE only box are mistaken. Dude can line up in the backfield and out at WR.