Could Reggie Bush go to the Jets?

JPostSam

Reaction score
i don't buy this business that all the sports writers are selling, saying that bush's draft grade is not hurting from these revelations. the more that comes out about this house story, the worse it sounds.

(did you see him duck the questions on espn the other night, obviously stalling for time, hoping that nothing more of substance would come out until after the draft, with that "i have nothing to hide, but i won't answer a simple question right now" nonsense?)

and while i agree that the mess won't have anything to do with his talents, i think it WILL impact the draft.

why? because the no. 1 pick is going to get a LOT of money to be the FACE of the franchise. and if i am the owner of a team with a decent offensive backfield already and several other needs, i will NOT want to take reggie bush and have all the spring training stories about my expensive new star be about his lies and indiscretions, or about the games that usc had to forfeit because of him.

at first i thought that a team like san francisco, with a high first-rounder and another pick in the first round, might be a good partner for a trade with houston. but california would probably not be a good place for bush to play, if the trojans really do get screwed because of him.

so i think, where is about the farthest place from southern california that you can get? and i think, NEW YORK. i think about the jets, sitting there with the 4th pick and the 29th pick (a later round pick could be thrown in to even out the values, but that may not even be necessary)...

they have one running back (the perennially overworked curtis martin) heading into his 12th season and another one (cedric houston) having just gotten himself into a pretty bad car accident... not to mention questions at quarterback and only one wide receiver (laveraneus coles) who really scares anyone... don't you think they could use an offensive weapon like reggie bush?! and don't you think that new yorkers won't care about bush's house troubles?!

at the fourth pick, the texans could draft d'brickashaw ferguson, a.j. hawk, or even vernon davis, if they wish -- and then add another starter to their roster with their pick at 29. AND, those two players may even be signable at a combined price that is lower than (or at least close to) the price of the no. 1 overall pick.

not a bad deal for both teams.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Firstly, this has nothing to do with the NFL nor the team. Sure they may not want any drama hanging over the head of the franchise, but reality is that this isn't going to impact the talent evaluation.

Does this mean that Bush has a character flaw? He's not been found guilty of anything at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I think that this whole thing looks shady, but I just don't see it changing the first pick of the draft.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh