Could S Paea possibly fit in Rob Ryan's defensive scheme

Woods

Reaction score
in your opinion? Assuming he was there at 40.

He's not your classic 34 NT, but at 6-1 and 300 lbs plus, could he possibly get snaps if RR uses an aggressive, slanting 34 scheme (rather than the DL primarily occupy the blockers).

I've seen Paea compared to Gragg (sp?) of the Ravens in terms of what he could possibly bring to the 34 scheme.

I realize a guy like J Jenkins of Clemson may be a more suitable fit at a 34 DE, for example, but Paea seems like a quality player who may drop due to his recent injury.

Duane

Reaction score
We have a guy who's 6'2 315pds on the roster who shows promise - Josh Brent. Personally I'm not on board taking a NT high in the draft.

Woods

Reaction score
Duane;3909709 said:
We have a guy who's 6'2 315pds on the roster who shows promise - Josh Brent. Personally I'm not on board taking a NT high in the draft.

I was thinking that Paea could play various positions along the DL in rotation. Some NT some DE.

tm1119

Reaction score
Duane;3909709 said:

Brent isnt anywhere near an every down player. We need a guy that is great against the run to give Ratliff a chance to play outside as well where he is probably better suited in the 3-4. A D-line of Igor/Bowen-Taylor/Ellis(1)-Ratliff is significantly better than Igor-Ratliff-Bowen. Is NT a pressing need? probably not, but a big run stuffing NT would have a huge impact on our entire D in my opinion.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Woods;3909713 said:
I was thinking that Paea could play various positions along the DL in rotation. Some NT some DE.

I don't really think Paea is suited to play DE in a 3-4, I'm not even sure he can play nose.

But for what it's worth, we already have that smallish, quick penetrating NT in Ratliff, so if that's what Ryan wants, then might as well leave him where he is.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
tm1119;3909720 said:
Brent isnt anywhere near an every down player. We need a guy that is great against the run to give Ratliff a chance to play outside as well where he is probably better suited in the 3-4. A D-line of Igor/Bowen-Taylor/Ellis(1)-Ratliff is significantly better than Igor-Ratliff-Bowen. Is NT a pressing need? probably not, but a big run stuffing NT would have a huge impact on our entire D in my opinion.

Really? How do you know?

tm1119

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3909774 said:
Really? How do you know?

Because he was a mediocre college player who got picked after the 7th round and has yet to play any kind of meaningful minutes in the NFL. Thats pretty much all I need to know to that hes not even a lock to make the roster this year.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Woods;3909696 said:
in your opinion? Assuming he was there at 40.

He's not your classic 34 NT, but at 6-1 and 300 lbs plus, could he possibly get snaps if RR uses an aggressive, slanting 34 scheme (rather than the DL primarily occupy the blockers).

I've seen Paea compared to Gragg (sp?) of the Ravens in terms of what he could possibly bring to the 34 scheme.

I realize a guy like J Jenkins of Clemson may be a more suitable fit at a 34 DE, for example, but Paea seems like a quality player who may drop due to his recent injury.

I agree with you, I think Paea is such a good player that he can play anywhere along our front. I think sometimes people put too much emphisis on the height/weight ratios and what is deemed as "prototype size" that they overlook the film. Despite his lack of bulk Paea is arguably the best run plugging Lineman in this class, he's just so strong and his lack of height gives him a major advantage in leverage over Guards and Centers. He dominates the LOS and holds up well against double teams, his best fit is probably as the 1-tech in a 4-3 but he can be successful in any scheme.

Paea was voted as DPOY in the Pac 10 the past 2 seasons, he's just a great football player and will be a steal if he falls to the 2nd Round. I want as many good football players as we can get, I'd run to the podium if he were there.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
tm1119;3909781 said:
Because he was a mediocre college player who got picked after the 7th round and has yet to play any kind of meaningful minutes in the NFL. Thats pretty much all I need to know to that hes not even a lock to make the roster this year.

I like Brent, but he wouldn't stop me from drafting Paea.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
tm1119;3909781 said:
Brent had 257 snaps last year, there's been articles where Jay Ratliff said he knew Brent could play from the first practice and where one nfc pro personnel director said that Brent was a stud and that the Cowboys got a steal with that pick.

fortdick

Reaction score
speedkilz88;3909816 said:
Brent had 257 snaps last year, there's been articles where Jay Ratliff said he knew Brent could play from the first practice and where one nfc pro personnel director said that Brent was a stud and that the Cowboys got a steal with that pick.

He is not all pro, we need to take a first round pick on a NT to replace him. Don't you read these threads?

:cool:

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
tm1119;3909781 said:

well Rat was drafted in the 7rd

Brent played in all 16 games and slowly showed the coaching staff that he can do what they needed. He is a classic NT in the 3-4, where when single-teamed, he is able to throw his man back; and when double-teamed he is able to stand his ground and force the play elsewhere. It would be misleading to suggest that he made huge plays in his rookie season, but if you study his snaps (mostly on run downs - 1st and 10, short yardage) it seemed rather clear that he can play that position in the NFL at a solid level. Again, to find a prospect at this price with this potential role on the team moving forward deserves plenty of credit.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
tm1119;3909781 said:

So we wasted a draft pick? Ummm ok! :laugh2:

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3909825 said:
well Rat was drafted in the 7rd

Brent played in all 16 games and slowly showed the coaching staff that he can do what they needed. He is a classic NT in the 3-4, where when single-teamed, he is able to throw his man back; and when double-teamed he is able to stand his ground and force the play elsewhere. It would be misleading to suggest that he made huge plays in his rookie season, but if you study his snaps (mostly on run downs - 1st and 10, short yardage) it seemed rather clear that he can play that position in the NFL at a solid level. Again, to find a prospect at this price with this potential role on the team moving forward deserves plenty of credit.

He had a tough season with the injury....basically playing with one arm. Which probably hampered his ability to work out. I thought he played pretty well considering. I've heard Rat say he loves the guy. But hey, Jerry wasted another draft pick!

btcutter

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3909783 said:
I agree with you, I think Paea is such a good player that he can play anywhere along our front. I think sometimes people put too much emphisis on the height/weight ratios and what is deemed as "prototype size" that they overlook the film. Despite his lack of bulk Paea is arguably the best run plugging Lineman in this class, he's just so strong and his lack of height gives him a major advantage in leverage over Guards and Centers. He dominates the LOS and holds up well against double teams, his best fit is probably as the 1-tech in a 4-3 but he can be successful in any scheme.

Paea was voted as DPOY in the Pac 10 the past 2 seasons, he's just a great football player and will be a steal if he falls to the 2nd Round. I want as many good football players as we can get, I'd run to the podium if he were there.

Very true. We get caught up on wt/ht. We need to draft players based on how they PLAY. Not just on look and potential.

Also I like the low center of gravity especially if they have a thick "bottom". Just look at Casey Hampton NT.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;3909729 said:
I don't really think Paea is suited to play DE in a 3-4, I'm not even sure he can play nose.

But for what it's worth, we already have that smallish, quick penetrating NT in Ratliff, so if that's what Ryan wants, then might as well leave him where he is.

I don't believe so either.

Paea would make a good rotational player in Ryan's scheme I believe, but I just don't see where he would fit as a three-down player.

IMO, he'd be the kind of player I'd wanna discover on a lark in the 3rd or 4th round, but would not want to invest a really high pick and rely on early.

I believe his best fit is as a 43 DT.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
tm1119;3909781 said:

And Ratliff was drafted, when, exactly.................?

tm1119

Reaction score
skinsscalper;3910294 said:
And Ratliff was drafted, when, exactly.................?

Ok so lets just draft d-line only in the 7th round just because Ratliff worked out. Him being a 7th rd was 1 reason I listed. Quite frankly he just doesn't have any skill set that gonna make him stand out in the nfl that I saw last year. He'll probably make a solid sub, but I don't see how anyone can feel confident if he plays significant minutes this year. All I said was that if there is a good value pick for a NT past the 1st round we should take it. Having Igor and Ratliff on the edges with a run stuffing NT on short yardage plays would be dominant.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
tm1119;3910300 said:
Ok so lets just draft d-line only in the 7th round just because Ratliff worked out. Him being a 7th rd was 1 reason I listed. Quite frankly he just doesn't have any skill set that gonna make him stand out in the nfl that I saw last year. He'll probably make a solid sub, but I don't see how anyone can feel confident if he plays significant minutes this year. All I said was that if there is a good value pick for a NT past the 1st round we should take it. Having Igor and Ratliff on the edges with a run stuffing NT on short yardage plays would be dominant.

In the meantime, you can completely ignore Ratliff's own assessment of Brent's ability. I'm your knowledge of the position is light years ahead of Ratliff's and the rest of the scouting department's.

Carry on....................:rolleyes:

tm1119

Reaction score
skinsscalper;3910307 said:
In the meantime, you can completely ignore Ratliff's own assessment of Brent's ability. I'm your knowledge of the position is light years ahead of Ratliff's and the rest of the scouting department's.

Carry on....................:rolleyes:

Yeah cause Ratliff is really going to say that his teammate can't play....