Could some of the Combine LBers be our third LB

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Watching the combine today and saw a few LBr that really had good speed. Thinking possibly they could be our third LBr and give us lots of speed in that area along with Carter. They would probably take a third or fourth round pick. The two I've picked have had outstanding production over the last three years--Jamie Collins, So. MIss and Sio Moore, Conneticutt. Walter Football has them listed as 4-3 LBrs. Not sure if they would fit in Tampa 2 scheme.

Your thoughts.

tm1119

Reaction score
Like Sio Moore a lot. And even though his 40 time wasn't quite as good I like Gerald Hodges a lot still.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
IMO there are several LB's in this draft that would fit in Dallas' new scheme.

Sio Moore, I like a lot.
Arthur Brown is a fantastic football player.
Khaseem Green is also fantastic and makes plays all over the field.
Zaviar Gooden is an athletic freak and would fit as a WLB for Kiffin.

I have been talking up Brown and Green for a while now and think both will slide further than they should because of their smaller than average size. Having a defense where you can play those guys is an advantage because you get very good players lower than their skills indicate they should be taken.

Moore is very good too but is bigger and so there will probably be more teams willing to draft him earlier. He would be very good at the SLB position for us, IMO.

Gooden is more athletic than any of the others and his speed is insane for a LB. However, he isn't as good as a football player as the others and his instincts and football IQ isn't as far along as the rest.

If Gooden learns to play the position like the other's though, he could end up being the best.

I think there's a very good chance that Dallas ends up drafting a LB pretty early and asks him to compete for a starting position this year.

Gooden would be the only one on my list that I wouldn't expect to start year one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are a couple of LBs that I like:

Moore was very good at the Senior Bowl.

Player Moore, Sio
School Connecticut
Height 6'1
Weight 245
Forty 4.65
Forty (unofficial) 4.62
Ten 1.62
Bench 29
Vert 38
Broad 127
Arm 33 5/8
Hand 10 1/4

Player Gooden, Zaviar
School Missouri
Height 6'1
Weight 234
Forty 4.47
Forty (unofficial) 4.50
Ten 1.53
Bench 27
Vert 34
Broad
Arm 32 1/4
Hand 10

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Arthur Brown is a fantastic football player.
Khaseem Green is also fantastic and makes plays all over the field.
I like both of them a lot, especially Green.

And, now that OTree only ran a 4.6 and had the DUI, he'll probably be there for us in the 2nd if we want him. I'd be good with any of those three

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Future;5009427 said:

And, now that OTree only ran a 4.6 and had the DUI, he'll probably be there for us in the 2nd if we want him. I'd be good with any of those three

Yeah, Green is from your neck of the woods, so to speak. That guy is a football player through and through. Always causing problems for the offense, one way or another.

One of the big reasons I'm so happy to be moving to Kiffin's defense is that guys like Green and Lavonte David from last year will no longer be off limits to us.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
AsthmaField;5009440 said:
Yeah, Green is from your neck of the woods, so to speak. That guy is a football player through and through. Always causing problems for the offense, one way or another.

One of the big reasons I'm so happy to be moving to Kiffin's defense is that guys like Green and Lavonte David from last year will no longer be off limits to us.
Well, he's from New Jersey so not exactly my neck of the woods :mad: :laugh2:

Agreed about the guys who are now available to us. The 3-4 is hard to find guys for a lot of times b/c they have to be so specialized. The 4-3 allows us to be a lot more flexible and pick up guys who are athletes.

JDSTAR

Reaction score
Future;5009427 said:

Ideal.

tm1119

Reaction score
Future;5009427 said:

You say 4.6 like its a problem for a linebacker. He might not have the elite speed that would have made him a top 15 pick, but no way he lasts all the way until the mid 2nd. His #'s weren't eye popping, but they weren't bad at all either. No reason to think hes dropping all the way into the 40's. I highly doubt he makes it out of the 1st round.

dart

Reaction score
I fully believe that we draft one

or maybe get one FA

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Kevin Reddick. I think he'd be an excellent fit here

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Future;5009427 said:

And just like that we could go from the "Doomsday Defense" to the "DUI Defense".

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
tm1119;5009485 said:
You say 4.6 like its a problem for a linebacker. He might not have the elite speed that would have made him a top 15 pick, but no way he lasts all the way until the mid 2nd. His #'s weren't eye popping, but they weren't bad at all either. No reason to think hes dropping all the way into the 40's. I highly doubt he makes it out of the 1st round.
I don't think that a 4.6 is a problem. But OTree was considered a top prospect because of ELITE athleticism. His combine was solid, but it does not suggest elite. Maybe he won't still be there when we pick in the second, but I don't think its impossible, especially if someone really likes a guy like Greene or Arthur Brown.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Hoping the 40-time pushes Chase Thomas into a more realistic 3rd or 4th round position for us. Really like this guy the more I watch him play, and thoroughly unconcerned about his 40. Doesn't play like a 4.9 guy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shinywalrus;5009916 said:
Hoping the 40-time pushes Chase Thomas into a more realistic 3rd or 4th round position for us. Really like this guy the more I watch him play, and thoroughly unconcerned about his 40. Doesn't play like a 4.9 guy.

I've been saying for awhile now that Chase Thomas looks very slow to me. Kiffin's defense is all about speed. I don't see Thomas as a fit. He would be best as a 3-4 OLB.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
xwalker;5009969 said:
I've been saying for awhile now that Chase Thomas looks very slow to me. Kiffin's defense is all about speed. I don't see Thomas as a fit. He would be best as a 3-4 OLB.

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, and I'm also not convinced that Kiffin is so tied to a particular use of the Sam that there isn't place for versatility. In most Tampa-2 schemes, you're going to see the Sam take 70-75% of the snaps of your Mike and Will and you're typically going to have them drop into coverage 40-50% of the time. While the specific coverages are going to be situational, typically the zones a Sam drops into will be on the shorter side than those you'd expect from the Mike or Will in coverage.

So while I agree that Chase isn't at his best in man coverage on an athletic tight end, I'm not convinced that the frequency of that should be all that worrisome. His reaction times are excellent and every bit of his game I've watched shows a guy with short range quickness who takes the right first step incredibly often and can recover quickly on the off cases where he didn't. He's shown he can be effective in short zones and is a natural run blitzer. Sheds blocks exceptionally well.

But on top of this I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to get creative enough to send this guy on blitzes more often than usual to take advantage of his ability there.

Speed isn't 40-time, and Chase looks fast to me in-game. There's a reason we've talked to him, I think.