News: Could the Dallas Cowboys land the next Dez Bryant in the draft?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Could the Dallas Cowboys land the next Dez Bryant in the draft?
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/04/09/dallas-cowboys-land-next-dez-bryant-draft/

...And it’s during the draft where America’s Team might find themselves a newer version of Dez. Here’s who Gil Brandt, former Cowboys executive, current senior analyst for NFL Media, and Hall of Famer recently compared to Bryant in the upcoming draft class.

“[CeeDee] Lamb was a beast with the ball in his hands, collecting 376 yards after contact (third-most in FBS) and 683 yards after the catch and forcing 26 missed tackles (second-most among receivers in FBS) … To me, Lamb is a Dez Bryant lookalike — though Bryant had a bigger upper body and was a stronger guy, they have similar mannerisms on the field.”

...While there’s an argument to be made that there’s a big enough need on the Dallas Cowboys’ current wide receiver depth chart for both Dez Bryant and CeeDee Lamb, either actually being on the roster come September could be a pipe dream.

Although Jeff Cavanaugh of 105.3 The Fan believes Bryant could work as the team’s fourth wide receiver in addition to drafting a rookie wideout in the upcoming draft, it’s unclear whether the team’s new coaching staff feels the same way. And considering the other needs along their roster, the Cowboys using their first-round selection on Lamb (who likely doesn’t fall that far anyway) could be nothing more than wishful thinking as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Drafting a top receiver is a very strong move, and actually smart thinking...

If a drafted player can prove he can beat coverage in press, creating separation and commanding a safety presence over the top from time to time, he could allow Amari Cooper to slide inside when the Dallas Cowboys move to 11 personnel.

Amari would absolutely carve up defenses inside at the slot and potentially take the Cowboys offense to the next level. Many people forget the slot receiver position often produces the most EPA per play out of all the receiver positions. That’s why so many of the NFL’s best outside receivers move inside and take a ton of snaps at slot when the team moves to 11 personnel.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/04/09/dez-bryants-best-chance-rejoining-dallas-cowboys/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

If a drafted player can prove he can beat coverage in press, creating separation and commanding a safety presence over the top from time to time, he could allow Amari Cooper to slide inside when the Dallas Cowboys move to 11 personnel.

Amari would absolutely carve up defenses inside at the slot and potentially take the Cowboys offense to the next level. Many people forget the slot receiver position often produces the most EPA per play out of all the receiver positions. That’s why so many of the NFL’s best outside receivers move inside and take a ton of snaps at slot when the team moves to 11 personnel.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/04/09/dez-bryants-best-chance-rejoining-dallas-cowboys/

I really like the recent talk about Cooper in the slot. Runs routes like Beasley, but can smoke you over the top too.

But I'm not for spending a top pick, and really not this year, with the reported deep wr draft class. 3rd or later.

But using Cooper in the slot stresses the need for another legitimate true wideout, and not just a slot player. I wouldn't count on a rookie to be that his first year.

That could be Devin Smith. He was a competent route runner, and another guy who can run by you. Since he's iffy, I'd still want to add a veteran WR who can back up the outside spots.

Moving Cooper to the slot is not just a good move for his productivity, but it solves our slot need and makes it easier to find a veteran backup who can be just an outside guy.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Could the Dallas Cowboys land the next Dez Bryant in the draft?
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/04/09/dallas-cowboys-land-next-dez-bryant-draft/

...And it’s during the draft where America’s Team might find themselves a newer version of Dez. Here’s who Gil Brandt, former Cowboys executive, current senior analyst for NFL Media, and Hall of Famer recently compared to Bryant in the upcoming draft class.

“[CeeDee] Lamb was a beast with the ball in his hands, collecting 376 yards after contact (third-most in FBS) and 683 yards after the catch and forcing 26 missed tackles (second-most among receivers in FBS) … To me, Lamb is a Dez Bryant lookalike — though Bryant had a bigger upper body and was a stronger guy, they have similar mannerisms on the field.”

...While there’s an argument to be made that there’s a big enough need on the Dallas Cowboys’ current wide receiver depth chart for both Dez Bryant and CeeDee Lamb, either actually being on the roster come September could be a pipe dream.

Although Jeff Cavanaugh of 105.3 The Fan believes Bryant could work as the team’s fourth wide receiver in addition to drafting a rookie wideout in the upcoming draft, it’s unclear whether the team’s new coaching staff feels the same way. And considering the other needs along their roster, the Cowboys using their first-round selection on Lamb (who likely doesn’t fall that far anyway) could be nothing more than wishful thinking as well.

Oh my gosh.

I hope not. We are still suffering from the last X factor.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone having confidence in backups currently on the roster?

I think Devin Smith needs a better chance since Garrett and staff is gone. Moore needs a year under a real HC to see if he can utilize him better.
However, that does not make me confident on the WR depth.
I been saying we do not need a WR day 1 or 2. But after looking longer and thinking more about it. Maybe we do.

I would not be upset if a top WR is there and is absolutely the BPA in the 1st 3 rounds. I still think they go D 1st 2 rounds though.
I do not think they use a 1st or 2nd for a slot WR / PR guy. But as I said, of BPA heads above the options.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CeeDee Lamb would be a great addition.

The chances he becomes a Cowboy in 2 weeks?

tenor.gif

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Why look for another Dez when they can just bring back the real Dez. That will create a timeshare in the slot with Cooper, Jarwin, Smith and Pollard. Our top five wideouts could be Cooper, Gallup, Dez, Brown and Smith. I'd feel comfortable with that group. Just saying.

:popcorn:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think Devin Smith needs a better chance since Garrett and staff is gone. Moore needs a year under a real HC to see if he can utilize him better.
However, that does not make me confident on the WR depth.
I been saying we do not need a WR day 1 or 2. But after looking longer and thinking more about it. Maybe we do.

I would not be upset if a top WR is there and is absolutely the BPA in the 1st 3 rounds. I still think they go D 1st 2 rounds though.
I do not think they use a 1st or 2nd for a slot WR / PR guy. But as I said, of BPA heads above the options.
The top 3 receivers aren't just slot guys, drafting a Lamb or Juedy allows Moore to get creative and take advantage of mismatches. So it wouldn't be just a slot guy, not only that, but it would allow the team to have a receiver ready in case Gallup cost too much or pay Gallup and let Cooper go in a few years. WR is most differently a top need especially with the injury history of the entire receiving corps currently on the roster and lack of depth.

Jipper

Reaction score
I don’t want to land the next Dez Bryant. Dez was a top reciever for 2 maybe 3 years, the other years he was very good receiver.

Personally I’d rather draft the next Michael Irvin

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

i've never seen ceedee drop this far in the draft to even be a potential move. from what i understand, this is also a very deep draft. we just paid cooper to be #1. gallop has been a great #2. what would we be looking for in a WR that we need to take another when starting WR's are set and solid?

John813

Reaction score
Laviska Shenault Jr could be a Dez Bryant-lite receiver, that will 99% be available to the Cowboys at some point

Also has the same issues with polished route running. But is a physical receiver that can win 50-50/jump balls, who isn't slow. Same size/mold at 6'1 227.

morasp

Reaction score

Strengths
  • Plays to his long frame game in and game out
  • Scored a touchdown on 20 percent of his catches at Clemson
  • Played all three receiver spots
  • Can be used to create mismatches against size-deficient cornerbacks
  • Uses subtle speed changes in routes to game the coverage
  • Long strides are ground-gainers on speed turns and posts
  • Creates considerable coverage panic and draws pass-interference penalties
  • Rare instincts once the ball goes up
  • Maintains feel for defender, then separates late for better catch space
  • Makes proper adjustments to ball almost every time
  • Rises highest for high-point victories
  • Soft hands pluck and hide the ball away from catch-point bandits
  • Reliable target in space against zone

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Definitely not zero. It's not a high number. But it's a lot higher than zero
Yeah its definitely higher than zero. They could trade a 3rd rounder and trade up to get him if they wanted him. That would shock em but its not zero. There's a zero percent chance we get Burrow or Chase Young. Not Lamb.