Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MRoth1.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who is that, Matt Roth?

What is he, something like 270, 275? I think it's possible but tough to really know tell we see how he runs. Agility numbers are going to be huge for this guy. I didn't get a chance to see Iowa play a lot this year but I remember him from the prior year. The guy is pretty intense. One thing is for sure, if you take this guy, you'll get a guy who will never give up on a play and he will bust his *** 24/7. High motor guy. I don't know if he has the quicks to play LB but I wouldn't mind taking him. I like him much better then a whole lot of other guys I hear mentioned.

Woods

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing . . . .

We could possibly get him with our 2nd rounder.

I wonder if he can drop back in coverage?

I still think BP is intrigued with Spears with one of our 1st rounders. If we take Spears at 11, I think we miss out on Merriman. And that leaves us in a bit of a dilemma because we need someone to get to the QB.

If we take Merriman at 11, I think we miss out on Spears, and I think Spears would fit the 3-4 very well. Plus, we somehow need to get bigger and more athletic on the DL.

If Roth can also drop back in coverage, he could work out as a LB who could help us rush the passer and solve the dilemma.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Let's see what his coach at Iowa had to say about. Ferentz tried to play Roth at LBer early.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=1976309

"If every play was a run play, he could have been an All-American linebacker," Ferentz said. "He didn't have much feel for the passing game."

I wouldn't mind Roth in 2 as a rush end in a 4-3.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Woods said:
I was thinking the same thing . . . .

We could possibly get him with our 2nd rounder.

I wonder if he can drop back in coverage?

I still think BP is intrigued with Spears with one of our 1st rounders. If we take Spears at 11, I think we miss out on Merriman. And that leaves us in a bit of a dilemma because we need someone to get to the QB.

If we take Merriman at 11, I think we miss out on Spears, and I think Spears would fit the 3-4 very well. Plus, we somehow need to get bigger and more athletic on the DL.

If Roth can also drop back in coverage, he could work out as a LB who could help us rush the passer and solve the dilemma.

How about Merriman at 11 and Shaun Cody at 20? We got our 3-4 DE and a pass rushing LB.

Bobo

Reaction score
junk said:
Let's see what his coach at Iowa had to say about. Ferentz tried to play Roth at LBer early.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=1976309

"If every play was a run play, he could have been an All-American linebacker," Ferentz said. "He didn't have much feel for the passing game."

I wouldn't mind Roth in 2 as a rush end in a 4-3.

Well there's still Merriman and the kid from Troy State. Dan Cody dropped back in coverage some at OU, not sure how good he's considered to be at it though. Daryl Blackstock is another possability, probably in round 2.

Rack, if we go Merriman at 11, Cody at 20, what about NT? Hawthorne seems like a good deal, but maybe not there in the 2nd. I'm not sure how many NT types FA's there will be....maybe Pat Williams?

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Jonathan Jackson is good late round possiblity as a 3-4 OLB. 6-3 255 and according to Brent Venables he runs a low 4.5 Nobody knows about coverage ability in these college 4-3 ends.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
How about Merriman at 11 and Shaun Cody at 20? We got our 3-4 DE and a pass rushing LB.

Nice call. We could get a NT later in the draft or Free Agency. Bryant from Alabama, Means from Memphis could fill that role.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack said:

works for me if we make that switch...still unsure if Merriman is worth the 11th pick but everything I read makes me think if he works out well he could be had there....I still think I'd take Derrick Johnson or Mike Williams at 11 over anyone else right now...

love USC's Cody as a 3-4 DE

David

ghst187

Reaction score
Merriman is the guy....
Roth was a very disruptive force at Iowa, an outstanding player but its hard to see him having the same success in the NFL. He's tough and a high motor guy with good technique but lacks the quickness and pure athleticism of a Merriman or DJ or Spears. I tend to think that Roth will have trouble with most NFL T's considering their size and skill. If Roth could switch to a 3-4 backer, I think that might translate to more success for him but I'm not sure he has the speed. I don't really care to draft him but I think he'll find a spot in the NFL.