Could this rookie leap right to the starting lineup?

waldoputty

Reaction score
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/06/04/dallas-cowboys-rookie-leap-starting-lineup/

Can this Dallas Cowboys’ rookie outperform several veterans to earn a starting role in 2020?

The Dallas Cowboys came away with a top-rated draft class this year, seemingly getting great value with nearly every single selection. Yet, it’s unclear if any of these rookies outside of first-round wide receiver CeeDee Lamb will secure a starting role in 2020.

There are some rookies who could emerge this summer as potential starters at some point this upcoming season. The obvious choice might be fourth-round rookie center Tyler Biadasz due to the recent retirement of All-Pro starter, Travis Frederick.

A sleeper might be fifth-round selection Bradlee Anae. The young pass rusher out of Utah could surprise as a starter at defensive end. With Aldon Smith not having played football since 2015 and Tyrone Crawford coming off double hip surgery, there may be a window for the talented Anae to impress new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and earn an early starting nod.

But the rookie the Cowboys might need to earn a starting role more than any other is Trevon Diggs. With the loss of Pro Bowl cornerback Byron Jones this offseason, Dallas has a major void to fill in their secondary. But the Cowboys also have plenty of veteran candidates to fill that role between Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Daryl Worley, Maurice Canady, Anthony Brown, and others.

Quick maturation for Diggs best-case scenario for the Dallas Cowboys
But the Cowboys landed Diggs in the second round and have clearly earmarked him for a starting role at some point. If the rookie out of Alabama is able to outplay the veteran cornerbacks on the roster for a starting role this summer, that would be the best-case scenario for Dallas.

thought diggs is considered green for a college player as he switched from wr?

johneric8

Reaction score
Yes, Biadasz winning the starting C job in camp would be a pleasant surprise. I am rooting for him 2nd after A. Smith at RDE.

You can bank on him winning the starting job at camp. He is the most true center on our roster and trust me from watching him in college is has all the tools and he is a roughneck. Bookmark I said it... Go ahead!

Hardline

Reaction score
You can bank on him winning the starting job at camp. He is the most true center on our roster and trust me from watching him in college is has all the tools and he is a roughneck. Bookmark I said it... Go ahead!
I agree with you.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Was thinking it's possible but I'm wondering if the coaches will have second thoughts given the possiblity of 2 unexperienced rookies playing next to each other

The current rumor was Willams wasn't going to be quite ready from knee surgery quite in time for training camp so McGovern would get 1st team reps at LG. If that's the case then I don't see them throwing Biadasz out there and basically having 2 interior lineman that have literally zero combined NFL experienced playing next to each other.

kskboys

Reaction score
Was thinking it's possible but I'm wondering if the coaches will have second thoughts given the possiblity of 2 unexperienced rookies playing next to each other

The current rumor was Willams wasn't going to be quite ready from knee surgery quite in time for training camp so McGovern would get 1st team reps at LG. If that's the case then I don't see them throwing Biadasz out there and basically having 2 interior lineman that have literally zero combined NFL experienced playing next to each other.
Unless they both look really good, which is what would have to happen for them to start anyway!!!!

Kaiser

Reaction score

Plus its unusual for any rookie to start as an NFL lineman if they aren't a first round pick. Biadasz was a great pick but its still a tall order for a guy like that to start his first year. McGovern has a year in the system already, played Center in college and was a guy they had a high 2nd round grade on. It seems like the safe bet is to play McGovern there this year and then move him as Biadasz develops.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/06/04/dallas-cowboys-rookie-leap-starting-lineup/

Can this Dallas Cowboys’ rookie outperform several veterans to earn a starting role in 2020?

The Dallas Cowboys came away with a top-rated draft class this year, seemingly getting great value with nearly every single selection. Yet, it’s unclear if any of these rookies outside of first-round wide receiver CeeDee Lamb will secure a starting role in 2020.

There are some rookies who could emerge this summer as potential starters at some point this upcoming season. The obvious choice might be fourth-round rookie center Tyler Biadasz due to the recent retirement of All-Pro starter, Travis Frederick.

A sleeper might be fifth-round selection Bradlee Anae. The young pass rusher out of Utah could surprise as a starter at defensive end. With Aldon Smith not having played football since 2015 and Tyrone Crawford coming off double hip surgery, there may be a window for the talented Anae to impress new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and earn an early starting nod.

But the rookie the Cowboys might need to earn a starting role more than any other is Trevon Diggs. With the loss of Pro Bowl cornerback Byron Jones this offseason, Dallas has a major void to fill in their secondary. But the Cowboys also have plenty of veteran candidates to fill that role between Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Daryl Worley, Maurice Canady, Anthony Brown, and others.

Quick maturation for Diggs best-case scenario for the Dallas Cowboys
But the Cowboys landed Diggs in the second round and have clearly earmarked him for a starting role at some point. If the rookie out of Alabama is able to outplay the veteran cornerbacks on the roster for a starting role this summer, that would be the best-case scenario for Dallas.

At RDE, i'd have no problem with Gregory, Aldon, Anae 3 man group. Adept 3 down edge rushers instead of chance starting this very average, aging vet DE (crawford) for run downs only.

- i can and DO see rookie center Tyler Biadasz starting Day 1 for the 2020 season.
He holds pedigree as an Outland winner, and from a school well documented for well grooming
it's interior OL guys, especially pivot men. Only if he is still mending from recent surgeries,
could i see different. He should make far more good plays vs rookie bad ones.

- Diggs should be in that 3 CB unit, (if he is everything advertised to be)
Draft status, ball hawk skills, length, physicality and a growing knack for the position screams that we need him to eventual be a starter sometime this year.
That makes the other 2 of Brown and Worley the other likely starting components.

- Gallmore won't start this year. Maybe a year away behind McCoy- if he develops well ,we could
see them switch roles between the next 2 years. But he needs rotation reps this year that Hill
didn't come close to last year.

- Lamb will be the 3rd WR for next 2 years,(before he eventually is lead-feature No.1 outside) but he will start outside on some injury replacement games on the outside this year as well,and i expect he will be moved around too. Both outside spots, ..slot, and jet -sweeps. idea is to get him running with the ball where he is so dangerously slippery and explosive.

- i think robinson could be more of a big contributor on special teams this year, while he awaits as a 4th or 5th CB. next year we lose two to 3 vet CBs, to FA, but i dunno how much experience Robinson get this year. But it was a big reason why McClay nabbed him as a 4th rd'er.

:cool: