Could we have done that rare "free kick" at end of first half

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Assume the ref's and replay booth didn't totally screw the Cowboys at the end of the first half when the change of possession because of a failed 4th down should have stopped (and maybe did stop the clock) with 3 seconds left, which then the refs allowed to run off and the replay guy didn't call down to correct.

My question is, can we do a free kick on that play? Or is that only after the other team has scored a TD or kicked a field goal.

Either way, I think it would have been a 52 - 55 yard field goal attempt, but a chance for 3 points none the less, and I think the league needs to explain what the hell happened there.

In what circumstances can you chose to do one of those "free kick thingies" and how do they work?

Larry

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;1665376 said:
Assume the ref's and replay booth didn't totally screw the Cowboys at the end of the first half when the change of possession because of a failed 4th down should have stopped (and maybe did stop the clock) with 3 seconds left, which then the refs allowed to run off and the replay guy didn't call down to correct.

My question is, can we do a free kick on that play? Or is that only after the other team has scored a TD or kicked a field goal.

Either way, I think it would have been a 52 - 55 yard field goal attempt, but a chance for 3 points none the less, and I think the league needs to explain what the hell happened there.

In what circumstances can you chose to do one of those "free kick thingies" and how do they work?

Larry

I am not 100% here but I think you can only do a free kick after a Fair Catch.

Pabst

Reaction score
A change of possession stops the clock at the end of the play. Since the sack occured on 4th down, the clock would have stopped, and Dallas could have gotten the FG unit on the field for a try. I am not 100% sure when the clock would restart, but as the Cowboys still had timeouts, it is a moot point as it pertains to this scenario.

The refs screwed up, big time. Luckily we got it done in the second half, and didn't need it.