Could we have traded Romo to the Browns pre-retirement?

Proof

Reaction score
just something that popped in my head earlier, due to FA opening and all the cap talk.

Considering we're still paying Tony, could we have shipped him (effectively just his contract) to the Browns along with a pick like Denver did with Brock?

I don't know with how his contract was structured and if we'd have still have had to have eaten a ton of money to facilitate it, just thought "wow, i'd give up a 2nd or 3rd to not have his deal on the books 2 years later"

what say you fellow sufferers?

edit - just to clarify, I meant with him still intending to retire. just a salary dump, not banishing him to the wasteland

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
just something that popped in my head earlier, due to FA opening and all the cap talk.

Considering we're still paying Tony, could we have shipped him (effectively just his contract) to the Browns along with a pick like Denver did with Brock?

I don't know with how his contract was structured and if we'd have still have had to have eaten a ton of money to facilitate it, just thought "wow, i'd give up a 2nd or 3rd to not have his deal on the books 2 years later"

what say you fellow sufferers?

edit - just to clarify, I meant with him still intending to retire. just a salary dump, not banishing him to the wasteland
We would not have saved a dollar by trading Romo and we would have had to take his entire 18.9m cap hit last year if we traded him before June 1st

And we are not still paying him..... the Dead Money represents cap savings that we took over several years that were not accounted for

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We would not have saved a dollar by trading Romo and we would have had to take his entire 18.9m cap hit last year if we traded him before June 1st

And we are not still paying him..... the Dead Money represents cap savings that we took over several years that were not accounted for

You mean we wouldn't have had money to sign Carroll, Paea, and Blanton last year? Or T Will? Dang, should have eaten the 18.9 mill last year and been rid of the $9 mill dead cap hit this year. Damned hind sight

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You mean we wouldn't have had money to sign Carroll, Paea, and Blanton last year? Or T Will? Dang, should have eaten the 18.9 mill last year and been rid of the $9 mill dead cap hit this year. Damned hind sight
We saved 14m on Romo's deal last year and rolled over 8m

That wipes out his 8.9m cap hit this year and then we saved another 20m this year on the cap with his retirement

Romo's contract was not a problem

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
What the....makes you think that Romo would have accepted that trade. He would have said “screw you I’m retiring”.

Romo stated he would not play anywhere else. When all that Texans or Broncos thing was going on. So he probably would’ve been given the option by the Jones family to do what he did or accept a trade. Some of these posters don’t quite grasp the bond Romo has with the Jones family and they wouldn’t have shipped him to the Browns.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If I was Romo I would gave retired too before going there. He would have been paralyzed behide that OL, heck he almost got killed here, and we have 3 first rounders on it with another being one if not for some things going down.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting question. I don't imagine that's permitted, or else you'd see teams doing it to clear their caps.

EDIT: people aren't reading your question all the way through, I think.

Proof

Reaction score

Nice explanation, I appreciate it and am enlightened. I’m sure somewhere previously I’d heard that but didn’t pay much attention or properly comprehend. In any event, thanks.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
How dare you even come up with this option. Romo can still come down from the booth and win us more super bowls. /sarcasm

Proof

Reaction score
Not this again.

Sorry, has this been addressed before? Hadn’t ever seen it, and figured it was a unique thought. It’s moot though because I clearly didn’t understand what the remaining cap impact was from

Proof

Reaction score
Interesting question. I don't imagine that's permitted, or else you'd see teams doing it to clear their caps.

EDIT: people aren't reading your question all the way through, I think.

Yeah I don’t either. Thought it was clear, but I probably presented it poorly, and/or folks are so tired of any Romo talk that they just dismissed it immediately.

As far as if it’s pernitted, I thought it was already proven when the Browns / Broncos did the osweiler deal. Broncos sent them a 2nd rd pick to take him and practically everyone expected them to immediately cut him. They ultimately held on to him for a bit I don’t remember anyone saying that they couldn’t do it.

Proof

Reaction score
Oh c’mon, it’s only been a week or two AND during the off season that we haven’t had a Romo worship and what if thread.

No worship or what if. Just ashes could we have done it. Was less about Romo and more about whether that is a move that can be done.