Could we have traded Romo to the Browns pre-retirement?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why would the Browns agree to that? Tony was washed up and made of glass when he retired. He wasn't worth his contract and there is no way anyone else, even the Cleveland Brown stains would every take that contract on. So to answer your question... hell no that could not have been done.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I don’t either. Thought it was clear, but I probably presented it poorly, and/or folks are so tired of any Romo talk that they just dismissed it immediately.

As far as if it’s pernitted, I thought it was already proven when the Browns / Broncos did the osweiler deal. Broncos sent them a 2nd rd pick to take him and practically everyone expected them to immediately cut him. They ultimately held on to him for a bit I don’t remember anyone saying that they couldn’t do it.

Yeah, you can do it if the guy stays on your roster. Perhaps there's not a restriction on him being active, too. I mean, there is a cap floor, after all.

Trading for a contract like that is kind of a cool way to let cap-light teams convert that space into picks.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah, you can do it if the guy stays on your roster. Perhaps there's not a restriction on him being active, too. I mean, there is a cap floor, after all.

Trading for a contract like that is kind of a cool way to let cap-light teams convert that space into picks.
They should allow teams to straight up trade cap space

CLE could send us 20m in cap space for a 4th round pick

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That wouldn’t have worked for several reasons. You have to trade the player, the contract and a pick. Jerry wasn’t going to trade Romo to a team where he had no chance to succeed and Romo wouldn’t have gone to a team where he had no chance to succeed especially Cleveland. You can’t just trade a pick to a team to take on a players contract without the player. Osweiler was traded to Cleveland with a pick and the contract. Romo would have never gone to Cleveland. He could’ve kept playing there would’ve been plenty of teams wanting his service but his heart was with the Cowboys. He said so himself.

Proof

Reaction score
That wouldn’t have worked for several reasons. You have to trade the player, the contract and a pick. Jerry wasn’t going to trade Romo to a team where he had no chance to succeed and Romo wouldn’t have gone to a team where he had no chance to succeed especially Cleveland. You can’t just trade a pick to a team to take on a players contract without the player. Osweiler was traded to Cleveland with a pick and the contract. Romo would have never gone to Cleveland. He could’ve kept playing there would’ve been plenty of teams wanting his service but his heart was with the Cowboys. He said so himself.

Yeah again, it would be with the intent to immediately retire, not to play for them. Similar to trading for Brock with the expectation of cutting him. It’s been explained why it wouldn’t have worked, I was just curious about the premise though

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah again, it would be with the intent to immediately retire, not to play for them. Similar to trading for Brock with the expectation of cutting him. It’s been explained why it wouldn’t have worked, I was just curious about the premise though

You can’t just get on the phone with a team and say look we have a player we’re about to cut and will probably retire and is going to leave us with a lot of dead money. We’ll send you a second round pick to take his money off our cap. That’s not going to work.

Proof

Reaction score
You can’t just get on the phone with a team and say look we have a player we’re about to cut and will probably retire and is going to leave us with a lot of dead money. We’ll send you a second round pick to take his money off our cap. That’s not going to work.

Yes. The dead money was the piece I didn’t understand, why the thread was made and the question posed, AND was already clarified early in the thread. And again. It’s extremely similar to the Brock deal. The Browns essentially bought the Broncos pick because they were so flush with money and needed to reach the cap floor. They did ultimately keep Brock for a short spell, but when the deal was announced, everyone reported that he would be cut immediately. There was no push back or word from anyone that it couldn’t be done, just that it was unconventional.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
He should be re activated this season Dak played better before Romo retired

DcFootball4

Reaction score
just something that popped in my head earlier, due to FA opening and all the cap talk.

Considering we're still paying Tony, could we have shipped him (effectively just his contract) to the Browns along with a pick like Denver did with Brock?

I don't know with how his contract was structured and if we'd have still have had to have eaten a ton of money to facilitate it, just thought "wow, i'd give up a 2nd or 3rd to not have his deal on the books 2 years later"

what say you fellow sufferers?

edit - just to clarify, I meant with him still intending to retire. just a salary dump, not banishing him to the wasteland

Didn't that work though, that they had to give the Browns a 2nd or 3rd in order for them to take over his cap since they had the room?

DcFootball4

Reaction score
He should be re activated this season Dak played better before Romo retired

lol very true! He actually had GOOD COACHING at that time. To add to that, I think JJ should pay a king ransom to get Romo out of the booth and on the sidelines as our new QB coach.

GMO415

Reaction score
Romo couldn't get out of bed and we were going to trade him?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just something that popped in my head earlier, due to FA opening and all the cap talk.

Considering we're still paying Tony, could we have shipped him (effectively just his contract) to the Browns along with a pick like Denver did with Brock?

I don't know with how his contract was structured and if we'd have still have had to have eaten a ton of money to facilitate it, just thought "wow, i'd give up a 2nd or 3rd to not have his deal on the books 2 years later"

edit - just to clarify, I meant with him still intending to retire. just a salary dump, not banishing him to the wasteland
No money saved doing that.

Proof

Reaction score
Romo couldn't get out of bed and we were going to trade him?

No. The point was to trade his contract and a pick to Cle to absorb it like they did with Brock. Not for Romo to play for them. Stated, re-stated, clarified and put to bed.

No money saved doing that.

Thanks. I was on pins and needles after it had been answered multiple times last week

Hadenough

Reaction score

Dude I wanted to trade Romo back in 2012! Would of loved to have traded Romo to the Colts and drafted Andrew Luck! Colts probably wouldnt of done it without throwing in a couple #1 picks for compensation. If Dallas had Luck he probably wouldnt of been hurt because they would of built the team around him. Luck carried the Colts to 3 straight 11-5 seasons with no help!