Counting on Aldon/Gregory is like playing Russian Roulette

Sydla

Reaction score
It is but this is the position we face. It can either be really good or it can be decent. I think the floor is decent. I don't expect bad defensive end play this year from anyone. I think with the new DT's its going to free up our DE's to wreck more havoc. Especially Lawrence.

This team doesn't need stellar play from those guys if they are getting it from McCoy, Lawrence and Poe. I think people get too caught up in Quinn's sack numbers. His sack numbers will be replaced. But will we be improved against the run? I believe so.

Even with Quinn's sack numbers, we were a middling pass rush team and that was with Jones at CB to cover up some things on the back end.

Now we don't have Quinn rushing the passer, are hoping the DTs can pick up his lost production which would land us again......... a blah pass rushing team now with a greener and less accomplished secondary.

Sydla

Reaction score
good thing the Cowboys aren't relying on either one of them.
next.

They aren't?

Who is playing RDE opposite of Lawrence then? Crawford? He's a mediocre pass rusher, at best. He's a DT trying to play DE.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
One of them has to come back. Counting on Crawford or Armstrong to be productive is crazy. I think it will happen. If not I think there is a chance McCoy gets put outside.

cern

Reaction score
Each has let down their teams and teammates multiple times. Seems to be their pattern of behavior. The leopard does not change it's spots. I'm not holding my breath.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m not Counting on Aldon and Gregory. If they are able to come back it would icing on the cake. I’m not worried ab how they’ll play either.. they are freaks of nature, both could literally roll out of bed and sack a QB.

That said.. no matter how you feel ab the guy, Crawford has already proved he can play DE. Rookie Bradlee Anae looks Primed and ready to prove he should have been drafted higher. And we have two 2nd year guys in Joe Jackson & Jalen Jelks, Can we see what they have? Not to mention Ron’Dell Carter whom 24 other teams we’re interested in.

Last but not least.. My personal favorite, Dorance Armstrong will surprise folks going into his third season. According to Bill Parcells, the 3rd year is the prove it season. Armstrong only played 24% of defensive snaps last year, yet flashed potential when giving a chance. Looking forward to a big year from Armstrong.

Crawford is a mediocre DE. He's not a great pass rusher. This team is worse at rushing the passer with Crawford starting at DE compared to Quinn. And let's note, this was an average pass rush team in 2019 WITH QUINN.

Anae is a rookie and few rookie DEs, especially ones taken in the later rounds, make immediate impacts. Armstrong? He's a nice backup.

This rationale smells like the rationalizations we got in 2018 with regards to the WRs........... and that worked out terribly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even with Quinn's sack numbers, we were a middling pass rush team and that was with Jones at CB to cover up some things on the back end.

Now we don't have Quinn rushing the passer, are hoping the DTs can pick up his lost production which would land us again......... a blah pass rushing team now with a greener and less accomplished secondary.
I personally feel between the DT's, Lawrence and who's ever on the other side? His sack numbers should be replaced. You are looking to replace 11 sacks. I'm looking for Lawrence to be a double digit guy again this year....if he does that you are looking at replacing about 4 or 5 sacks.....

Sydla

Reaction score
It just makes so much sense to sign Griffen and cut Crawford to pay for Griffen.

With Woods back at DT, you now have 5 DTs and we will likely have to stash one on the practice squad.

With Griffen, you have your two starting DEs and then a large number of guys to back him up - Armstrong, Jelks, Jackson, Anae, Gregory, Smith.

You don't really need Crawford in that situation. But given the date, I suspect there is no way they'd cut him now as Jerry tends to be a little too loyal to guys he likes.

John813

Reaction score
Can't see why Gregory could get held up unless there were certain issues with him skipping previous drug tests?

If anything, that domestic violence against Smith in 2018 may come to haunt him in reinstatement.

Sydla

Reaction score
I personally feel between the DT's, Lawrence and who's ever on the other side? His sack numbers should be replaced. You are looking to replace 11 sacks. I'm looking for Lawrence to be a double digit guy again this year....if he does that you are looking at replacing about 4 or 5 sacks.....

You missed the point. I am not interested in just replacing Quinn's lost sack numbers. I am interested in this team being significantly better at getting after the QB than they were in 2019. That's unlikely given the large hole they have at RDE that they plan on trying to fill with Crawford (who can't rush the passer all that well from the edge) and hope they get lucky with Smith and/or Gregory.

That's just a risky plan, especially when you have options in FA still taht could rectify it.

Sydla

Reaction score
He thought Zeke would not be suspended either. Goodell is probably tired of hearing randy's crap. Don't know about Smith.

Agreed on the part about Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You missed the point. I am not interested in just replacing Quinn's lost sack numbers. I am interested in this team being significantly better at getting after the QB than they were in 2019. That's unlikely given the large hole they have at RDE that they plan on trying to fill with Crawford (who can't rush the passer all that well from the edge) and hope they get lucky with Smith and/or Gregory.

That's just a risky plan, especially when you have options in FA still taht could rectify it.
Well if you want to get significantly better at getting to the quarterback you can do that numerous ways. Signing Griffin doesn't make you significantly better in that regard.

The only way to get significantly better was for this team to get better in the secondary and for Lawrence to get healthy and get back to where he was. Unless they had got JJ Watt there was no way to get significantly better in that regard this offseason.

Adding Gregory and Aldon Smith is far better than I expected when we entered free the offseason.

Knotamus

Reaction score
A ton of hoping and praying in this post. Hell half of the players you mention won"t even make the roster.
Lol.. C’mon, there’s no need to throw a wet blanket on my post bc I’m more optimistic than the typical pessimistic people on this site.

Every team has “Hope and Prayers”on their team. That’s kinda the reason most NFL fans are excited this time of the year. One thing is for sure, you can’t fill a roster with 55 high priced players.

I flat out stated that Crawford could do the job and Armstrong will have a good year. And Aldon Smith is almost certainly going to be reinstated or the FO wouldn’t have signed him(Not so sure ab Gregory). Not to mention Bradley Anae isn’t going anywhere. Your use of hyperbole is amusing though.

But if your going to use the “Hope and Prayer” line against me, well hell, I suppose I should list all the hopes and prayers..

-I hope Dak gets signed
-I pray DLaws ‘down year’ was an anomaly
-I hope the we have a C that can replace Frederick
-I pray Conner Williams cont to progress
-I hope Tyron Smith can stay healthy
-I pray we did enough at Safety
-I hope Jarwin can be a #1 TE
-I pray are CBs are solid
-I hope LVE is healthy
-I pray that Jaylon Smith will not regress even more
-I hope McCarthy will bring a SB to Dallas

At some point.. you’ll just have to trust that young guys will develop, veterans will step up, and the coaches have a plan. To each his own.

DanA

Reaction score
To me:
Plan A: Look at what we have in training camp
Plan B: Sign a free agent or trade for someone

We knew the risks with Gregory and Aldon Smith and took them on anyway. Now we have to sit on our hands until we have the opportunity to see what we've got. To me, it'd be stupid to sign someone over the top of our current guys without ever even looking at them. And what message does that send to the next guy we target in free agency if we don't give our guys the chance to show what they can do.

cern

Reaction score
Our defense needs to be aggressive. Particularly on 3rd downs. There are no rules that limit a defense to only 4 pass rushers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well if you want to get significantly better at getting to the quarterback you can do that numerous ways. Signing Griffin doesn't make you significantly better in that regard.

The only way to get significantly better was for this team to get better in the secondary and for Lawrence to get healthy and get back to where he was. Unless they had got JJ Watt there was no way to get significantly better in that regard this offseason.

Adding Gregory and Aldon Smith is far better than I expected when we entered free the offseason.

Griffen had 8 sacks last year and a high pressure rate. He would replace Quinn, essentially, and then you hope the DTs you add help with interior pressure and overall your team would be better at getting after the QB. The added bonus is then one of Gregory or Smith hits themselves.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lol.. C’mon, there’s no need to throw a wet blanket on my post bc I’m more optimistic than the typical pessimistic people on this site.

Every team has “Hope and Prayers”on their team. That’s kinda the reason most NFL fans are excited this time of the year. One thing is for sure, you can’t fill a roster with 55 high priced players.

I flat out stated that Crawford could do the job and Armstrong will have a good year. And Aldon Smith is almost certainly going to be reinstated or the FO wouldn’t have signed him(Not so sure ab Gregory). Not to mention Bradley Anae isn’t going anywhere. Your use of hyperbole is amusing though.

But if your going to use the “Hope and Prayer” line against me, well hell, I suppose I should list all the hopes and prayers..

-I hope Dak gets signed
-I hope LVE is healthy

At some point.. you’ll just have to trust that young guys will develop, veterans will step up, and the coaches have a plan. To each his own.

It's weird because I never mentioned all 55 players being high priced. Yes you flat out stated Armstrong would have a good year, doesn't make it true.

My use of hyperbole?
Wait okay. So let's make a bet. Of the players mentioned Armstrong, Gregory, Jelks, Anae, Smith, Armstrong, RonDell Carter, and Jackson I said half of them wouldn't make the team. And you're claiming that's hyperbole? Alright let's bet then. If four or more of them get cut I get what? If three or less get cut you get what?

Sydla

Reaction score

-I hope Dak gets signed
-I hope LVE is healthy

What leads you to believe Crawford "can do the job" as the starting RDE opposite Lawrence? Crawford is not a great pass rusher by any stretch, in fact, it would be a significant step back in getting after the QB going from someone like Quinn to Crawford. He's more a DT trying to play DE at this point in his career. There's no development angle here............ Crawford is what he is, he's not going to get better.

Its also not "hyperbole" to point out that counting on Anae to be a solution to our pass rush is probably a big stretch given the history of DEs and their ability to make an impact as rookies, especially ones taken in the later rounds.