Counting on Aldon/Gregory is like playing Russian Roulette

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
New CBA weed policy...

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-nfl-cb...drug-tests-including-marijuana-215756378.html

9e9eace0-5f21-11ea-93ff-21e8077ff804

Thanks for the summary... I assume the "clock" doesn't re-set with the new CBA, meaning in Randy's case, his prior violations will carry forward?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The team's investment in both Gregory and Aldon is extremely minimal and the present CBA allows for a reinstatement by Goodell.
All that's left is for our gallant commissioner to show some semblance of compassion and allow them to resurrect their lives! :angry:

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd be more comfortable if they brought Bennett back on a 1 year cheap deal just as a backup plan.

Yep. There are some names out there that give you more security - Bennett, Griffen, Golden.

As noted, this smells like 2018 WR all over again. Just throw numbers at the DE spot and hope something sticks. Let's hope the strategy works out better than it did at WR.

Sydla

Reaction score
What a distortion of the truth. The Cowboys didn't release Dez because they had numbers at WR.

I don't think that's his point. His point seems to be that in 2018 they tried WR by committee thinking they didn't need some top line WR(s). That they could get by with retreads, young prospects, cheap bargain bin signings.

And it failed. By October they had to scramble to find a top level WR to help them. They appear to be looking at the RDE in a similar manner. Just throw bodies at it hoping something sticks instead of bringing in one proven vet that could help solidify the spot.

Sydla

Reaction score
Another thing to factor in....................... we could be looking at a shortened offseason program, camp, maybe even preseason games.

You are counting on two guys at RDE that haven't played or practiced for a NFL team in a long time. How quickly are Smith and Gregory going to be able to get up to speed?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. There are some names out there that give you more security - Bennett, Griffen, Golden.

As noted, this smells like 2018 WR all over again. Just throw numbers at the DE spot and hope something sticks. Let's hope the strategy works out better than it did at WR.

I'd take Griffen or Golden over Bennett, but I am assuming they have decided to look to go on the cheap at that spot.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Admittedly for me its about Gregory. I think he is a great talent that now will be free to do his thing. My only concern was that he was sitting around getting stoned the last two years and it appears he is in incredible shape and is ready to go. Aldon is just a long shot bonus that could be surprising. Crawford is great on first down at stopping the run.

I really would like to see if Gregory can be the guy he was supposed to be. A great low cost option over there, which we need.

You bring in a guy like Griffin and its an expensive stop gap and Gregory is basically thrown by the wayside.

I understand what you are saying that you don't want to see a progress stopper in front of Gregory. I believe both Gregory/Aldon are brought along slowly and are more nickel type players early on. In my opinion, I would rather replace Crawford with a better player as it looks like he is the starter in pencil at this time. There has been nothing out there that makes us think they want to release Crawford or even have him taking a pay cut.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying that you don't want to see a progress stopper in front of Gregory. I believe both Gregory/Aldon are brought along slowly and are more nickel type players early on. In my opinion, I would rather replace Crawford with a better player as it looks like he is the starter in pencil at this time. There has been nothing out there that makes us think they want to release Crawford or even have him taking a pay cut.

Crawford on first down and Gregory and Aldon on passing downs works for me. I would rather get rid of Crawford also, but its clear they will never do it.

If Gregory doesn't pan out this year then we revamp the RDE position. I think we need to give Gregory a chance.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Crawford on first down and Gregory and Aldon on passing downs works for me. I would rather get rid of Crawford also, but its clear they will never do it.

If Gregory doesn't pan out this year then we revamp the RDE position. I think we need to give Gregory a chance.

That's one of the reasons I was in favor of drafting Chaisson before the draft. Team seems like they have patched work the position for so many years. Hardy, Gregory, Quinn, etc. I would like nothing more to see Gregory seize this opportunity and become that long-term piece we have lacked at that position.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not sure Dallas is really counting on them.
They just aren't panicking and adding anyone else yet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-end/
Scroll to bottom of this list and A LOT Of vet DEs are unsigned right now.
DAL could get Michael Bennett or Everson Griffin or even Clowney.

They have simply been holding their water.

I think at this point I'd look at Smith/Gregory as one roster slot and one that has to win a job in camp.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We also had numbers at WR after we released Dez a few years ago, how did that turn out? He had to trade away a #1 draft pick to fix the problem!

I know it's fun to pretend that you can have a sure thing at every single position in the NFL but that is not possible. the main problem with the wide receiver position was that Terrance Williams took a nosedive in terms of performance.

The situation to defensive end does not justify not taking Lamb. We've drafted multiple people with the position we also have returning veterans with starting experience. Additionally we more than filled holes on the interior defensive line.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know it's fun to pretend that you can have a sure thing at every single position in the NFL but that is not possible. the main problem with the wide receiver position was that Terrance Williams took a nosedive in terms of performance.

The situation to defensive end does not justify not taking Lamb. We've drafted multiple people with the position we also have returning veterans with starting experience. Additionally we more than filled holes on the interior defensive line.

The Front Office has drafted poorly at this position, which has made them go more the fa route each year to fill the need. At some point they need more of a long-term starter at the position. It doesn't need to be a star, but a player would can give consistent production.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Front Office has drafted poorly at this position, which has made them go more the fa route each year to fill the need. At some point they need more of a long-term starter at the position. It doesn't need to be a star, but a player would can give consistent production.

Tank was a huge success. Taco was not. Gregory still has a chance to redeem himself. He still hasn't finishing his rookie contract.

Beyond that it has been day 3 flyers.

Anyhow, your position leads to nowhere. Are you trying to say they should not draft DE? Hogwash, that small sample is not enough to ignore the overall success they have had drafting over the past 10 years.

Further, they did draft well at WR given Gallup arrived last season with his first 1000 yard effort in only his second year. At the same time it is much easier to find WR talent than it is pass rush talent. What pro bowl DE was available for trade? What 10 sack end is going to sign for what Cobb got?

At the end of the day the team has to compete against the league and not your ideal of a above average starter at every position especially the scarcer ones. We DLaw and the DT we signed. We also have a whole lot of prospects. That line especially considering depth is a lot better than most.

Mind you only two teams had 2 players with double digit sacks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tank was a huge success. Taco was not. Gregory still has a chance to redeem himself. He still hasn't finishing his rookie contract.

Beyond that it has been day 3 flyers.

Anyhow, your position leads to nowhere. Are you trying to say they should not draft DE? Hogwash, that small sample is not enough to ignore the overall success they have had drafting over the past 10 years.

Further, they did draft well at WR given Gallup arrived last season with his first 1000 yard effort in only his second year. At the same time it is much easier to find WR talent than it is pass rush talent. What pro bowl DE was available for trade? What 10 sack end is going to sign for what Cobb got?

At the end of the day the team has to compete against the league and not your ideal of a above average starter at every position especially the scarcer ones. We DLaw and the DT we signed. We also have a whole lot of prospect,. That line especially considering depth is a lot better than most.

Mind you only two teams had 2 players with double digit sacks.

All I was saying was the front office has had a bad track record drafting at the position, outside of Tank it has been a disaster. The likes of Taco, Tapper, Armstrong, even Gregory haven't done much on this level. They have had no choice, but to try to fill this position via fa with several band-aid, short-term options. They have to find a long-term answer at the position through the draft, one that they can control at a low level that can offer consistent production.

We have steered away from this discussion, this year the team has to prepare for the worst. In my opinion, I feel the team needs to protect themselves better at the position. I would much rather the team find a better, more durable veteran then Tyrone Crawford. Whatever they get out of Aldon/Gregory is a bonus, especially early on in the season as they are going to need a little time to get into football shape again.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
All I was saying was the front office has had a bad track record drafting at the position, outside of Tank it has been a disaster. The likes of Taco, Tapper, Armstrong, even Gregory haven't done much on this level. They have had no choice, but to try to fill this position via fa with several band-aid, short-term options. They have to find a long-term answer at the position through the draft, one that they can control at a low level that can offer consistent production.

We have steered away from this discussion, this year the team has to prepare for the worst. In my opinion, I feel the team needs to protect themselves better at the position. I would much rather the team find a better, more durable veteran then Tyrone Crawford. Whatever they get out of Aldon/Gregory is a bonus, especially early on in the season as they are going to need a little time to get into football shape again.

My point about resource scarcity, opportunity cost, and relative talent levels seems to have eluded you.

Clowney and Griffin are still out there. We can sign them but given said scarcity, theyre looking for deals well into 8 figures AAV.

At the same time, signing either one to $100m deals because you're wringing your hands in desperation is poor policy.

Further, reaching for the boom/bust DE Chaisson over a blue chip Lamb is a poor move.

We don't need your ideal DE to win ball games. We just have to keep outscoring competition.