Couple of items from Tony Pauline's Mailbag

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He hadn’t had a good rookie year. Just saw Kendrick get burned and he might be a top 5 corner in this class, which is not good.
I am impressed with Fields. I think he is better then Wilson. Keep them out of the NFC East. Matt Jones is going to the Patriots. Some way some how.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve keyed in on him in like 3 games this years and have never come away impressed at least as a 1st round prospect.
I heard recently from Dane Bruglar state that Wade is his #3 safety prospect. I’m not sure about that, but do like him inside at the nickel.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve keyed in on him in like 3 games this years and have never come away impressed at least as a 1st round prospect.

I've heard he's better in the slot then he is outside which is weird for his size.

I haven't watched him as much as you though...2nd round a good value if we're picking top 10?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cornerback depth looks real bad tonight both Kendrick and Wade both struggling tonight. Early on, it’s looking like a big drop off at the position after the top 3.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Cornerback depth looks real bad tonight both Kendrick and Wade both struggling tonight. Early on, it’s looking like a big drop off at the position after the top 3.
4. Stokes everybody else is round 2

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yeah we already have Wade and Kendrick on our roster with Anthony Brown. Who does Horne compare to?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I've heard he's better in the slot then he is outside which is weird for his size.

I haven't watched him as much as you though...2nd round a good value if we're picking top 10?

I think he’s much better in the slot. He’s so raw technique wise. A lot of that can be taught but that depends on what you value your 2nd rounder as....an instant contributor or someone that needs significant development and may be limited to the slot?

I think the fact that Bruglar doesn’t even have him at corner is telling. I have him ranked outside the Top 60 in my book (which doesn’t actually exist, lol). My perspective sounds like I don’t like but that’s not the case. I just don’t like him in the 1st round and I imagine there will be better talent available where we’ll be picking in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

As many know, Tony Pauline is one of the more connected insiders with legitimate sources within the NFL scouting community. Here are a few mailbag questions I pulled off his column on pro football network.com:

Is it just me, or is the 2021 cornerback class very weak at the top and lacking depth in the middle rounds?
I agree, and I will add that it’s not just the cornerback position; the entire secondary class is very suspect this year. Patrick Surtain II, Shaun Wade, Caleb Farley, and Jaycee Horn all have warts in their games and are no sure things. Derion Kendrick is developing, but he still needs work. The corner class really drops off after that and the safety position is even worse.

Whose draft stock has fallen the most this college football season?
Florida State defensive tackle Marvin Wilson was considered a potential Day 2 pick at one time, but he’s been invisible for most of the year. He now grades as a mid-Day 3 selection.

Here is a blurb on his draft big board:

Zaven Collins also moved up the board as the positive chatter on his play and instincts is growing louder in the scouting community.

Currently has Collins as the #12 prospect. Pauline was the one who had Lve as a 1st rd prospect even before the combine, where many media draft sites had him as more of a mid-round player.
Pauline was wrong about LVE

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Pauline was wrong about LVE
Talent-wise LVE is special.

Rumors are that several teams took him off the board due to medical concerns.

But not here with owner slash executives and yes men. No one gets fired here for ignoring medical flags.