Cover32: Dallas Cowboys Red Zone Dominance

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
If you ask any scout or fan who watches a lot of football, each one will probably tell you that there is a certain position that they know more about than the rest. For me, it’s wide receivers. And recently, I have been discussing with a few of my fellow writing friends about the most important quality a receiver must possess, other than catching the ball. So what do I believe is the most important trait a wide receiver must have? Hold that thought, we will come back to it.

For the past 5 years, the Dallas Cowboys have gone to the red zone an average of 3.1 times per game. Like clockwork, the team always seems to find a way to get inside the opponent’s 20 yard line three times a game. Those three trips actually have them below the league average. During the 2011 and 2012 seasons, the team scored touchdowns on about 50% of their attempts. Again, this is below league average. So using those numbers, we can conclude that this is where the team has struggled in the past.

But there is something different about the offense in 2013. The team is averaging less passing yards, 50 less total yards, and fewer first downs per game. But yet, even when you discard the defensive and special team scores they are still averaging 4 more points per game on offense? How is this possible?

Read the rest at: http://cover32.com/cowboys/2013/12/05/why-the-dallas-cowboys-have-been-dominant-in-the-red-zone/

Reaction score
Now if only we can get the defense tp prevent red zone scoring we may be able to get somewhere.

conner01

Reaction score
it amazes me how well we do in the red zone, yet struggle on 3rd dowsns. if we could get our 3rd down conversion up we would get one more trip er game to the red zone and those points would go up even more

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
i'd love to see us fake a fade to Dez and then handoff to Murray on a draw for a walk-in TD

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Cowboys should only have 2 plays inside the 5 yardline. DeMarco up the middle, and a fade to Dez.

Honestly, if we get first and goal at the 3, I wouldn't mind throwing to Dez 4 times. Chances are he's going to go up and catch one of them.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
Red zone defense, red zone offense, and turnover differential. Now Santa, if you can work on that W-L thing I wrote to you about.