Cowboy Linebacker Tackling Stats - A New World

T-RO

Reaction score
Why go there at all. We are all aware of how bad Jaylon became in comparison to what Micah is doing now.

Nobody here has ever, to my knowledge, actually tried to look at real data to make a comparison. It's all been subjective.

Since I work in science and data, I thought it would be interesting. If it's not your cup of tea, feel free to find someplace else to post.

How far down field was Jaylon making tackles last year? Curious too about LVE. All in comparison to this new star we have.

Quite interesting, I would have thought, for inquisitive fans here.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know if I should bother posting on this forum anymore.

It seems to be drifting towards twitter-type posts that don't provoke thought, inspire good dialog, or help anyone learn anything. Since I often actually take time to research my posts...is it worth it?

Right now I'd have to say no.
I agree with you. I don't know if you should bother posting on this forum anymore either. You are too good for this place. Why waste your precious time and abilities on folks that don't seem to appreciate your words? :rolleyes:

Scotman

Reaction score
This is actually a fascinating stat. Wouldn't it be curious to see it for LB's across the league? Obviously, it wouldn't tell the whole story. But it could be useful in looking at a LB within the context of their entire game.

I'd bet 1.7 yards would compare very favorably with linebackers across the league.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Nobody here has ever, to my knowledge, actually tried to look at real data to make a comparison.

Since I work in science and data, I thought it would be interesting. If it's not your cup of tea, feel free to find someplace else to post.

How far down field was Jaylon making tackles last year? Curious too about LVE. All in comparison to this new star we have.

Quite interesting, I would have thought, for inquisitive fans here.
If you can't handle scrutiny on an open forum then you are going to get brutalized.

T-RO

Reaction score
This is actually a fascinating stat. Wouldn't it be curious to see it for LB's across the league? Obviously, it wouldn't tell the whole story. But it could be useful in looking at a LB within the context of their entire game.

I'd bet 1.7 yards would compare very favorably with linebackers across the league.

Agree 100%. It doesn't tell the whole story at all. And I suspect with a larger data sample that Parsons won't be able to maintain 1.7 yards allowed per tackle.

But yes: interesting!

Scotman

Reaction score
Just set the poster known as JoeKing to IGNORE.
I resisted blocking anyone for a long time. And I don't block anyone just because they see things different. I block them when they are only trying to agitate with every post. That's just not how I want to be my energy. This board is a much better place with a small handful of commenters out of the way.

T-RO

Reaction score
All tackles are *not* created equal.

A player who can make so many tackles in a way that suffocates offensive gain provides huge upside value. In his young career this seems to be a halmark of Micah's game.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
I resisted blocking anyone for a long time. And I don't block anyone just because they see things different. I block them when they are only trying to agitate with every post. That's just not how I want to be my energy. This board is a much better place with a small handful of commenters out of the way.

Sensible! Having our opinions challenged is good, and provides superior dialog. Creates better threads.

Some posters, however, seem to focus in serial harassment, while adding nothing. I do admit I get a little pleasure in erasing them completely from my life.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
We've watched with horror in recent years at our linebacker play. Jaylon or LVE might stack up a lot of tackles, but huge chunks of yards were gained before those tackles. Did anyone imagine a complete turnaround?

In combined stats from the Viking and Bronco games Micah was credited with 21 solo or assisted tackles. 10(!) of those tackles were for losses or zero yards.

The average opponent's gain when Micah is a tackler in that two-game stretch? A meager 1.7 yards. This is a small data sample, but still...

--Tomorrow I'll post how Jaylon compared in two 2020 November games.
MP's # would be even more impressive if you throw out the Denver clunker. That is the only game I remember seeing him getting pulled forward or runner breaking away from him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I can't at this point.

I don't like posting data from small samples, but it's all I can do right now. And I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time doing even this much.
Facts are always good.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just ignore the hate. This forum is full of it. Amongst other things. There's other forums that aren't quite as toxic and also allow free speech out there. I've found them refreshing
Name them....:popcorn:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just set the poster known as JoeKing to IGNORE.
Oh, that explains why I’m only seeing half this thread. I did that ages ago and have no regerts. Pretty sure he’s the only one I’ve ever blocked. Highly recommended.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've watched with horror in recent years at our linebacker play. Jaylon or LVE might stack up a lot of tackles, but huge chunks of yards were gained before those tackles. Did anyone imagine a complete turnaround?

In combined stats from the Viking and Bronco games Micah was credited with 21 solo or assisted tackles. 10(!) of those tackles were for losses or zero yards.

The average opponent's gain when Micah is a tackler in that two-game stretch? A meager 1.7 yards. This is a small data sample, but still...

--Tomorrow I'll post how Jaylon compared in two 2020 November games.
Cool stuff, thanks. Those numbers have to be terrific but I have no real sense of what’s typical, especially when he plays on the LOS so much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if I should bother posting on this forum anymore.

It seems to be drifting towards twitter-type posts that don't provoke thought, inspire good dialog, or help anyone learn anything. Since I often actually take time to research my posts...is it worth it?

Right now I'd have to say no.

Don’t let one or two fools dissuade you. Some people are mature enough to talk about all aspects of the team, good or bad. And some aren’t.

The same people who now don’t want to talk about Jaylon are the same people who tried defending him. They look like idiots so they prefer the subject disappear.