Cowboy Mock from Norris-Rotoworld

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Norris’ Mock Draft

Round 1 (19): LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State - I know it wasn’t a top three need that Evan highlighted, but linebacker is a major void. The team just lost their most consistent player (from a health standpoint) at the position. Vander Esch offers uncommon size at the position and tested like the most athletic linebacker at the NFL Combine. There’s still plenty to work on, but the skills are there to be turned into consistent talent.

Round 2 (50): DT Harrison Phillips, Stanford - I know Rod Marinelli wants to feature upfield interior linemen. From a production standpoint Phillips fits (27 tackles for loss over the last two years). While I don’t think that is the foundation of his game, I’m not naive enough to believe others will feel the same. The true upfield disruptors likely will be drafted in the first round.

Round 3 (81): EDGE Arden Key, LSU - The Cowboys have been known to take risks at the edge position. I think Key is destined for a round three selection, if not later. Thus far he has not answered questions or slowed concerns that sidetracked his 2017 season. It is difficult to find third-round plus pass rushers with perceived upside, so Key is likely worthy of this pick.

Round 4 (116): S Tarvarius Moore, Southern Miss - I’m a big fan of Xavier Woods and think he’ll sustain starting caliber play. Moreover, Moore is one of the more talented players at the position I’ve seen in this class. I have a feeling we are catching up on him on the outside, but he has fans inside the NFL.

Round 4 (137): WR Antonio Callaway, Florida - I reported the other day that Callaway would be visiting the Cowboys. It makes too much sense. Callaway is widely viewed as a very good talent, but he needs one team to give him a chance after multiple speed bumps in college.

Round 5 (171): DL Deadrin Senat, USF - Players like Senat are difficult to gauge. I think he is a top 100 talent, but he also presents an undersized frame. Some teams care, some teams won’t. Either way, he offers upfield disruption from multiple interior alignments.

Round 6 (192): OL Cole Madison, Washington State - An offensive lineman who can fill a utility role at tackle and guard.

Round 6 (193): RB Ito Smith, Southern Miss - The Cowboys don’t have an “air” back on their roster, and didn’t in 2017 either. They’ve shown interest in Ito and Nyheim Hines.

Round 6 (208): TE Marcus Baugh, Ohio State - I’m a big believer in Rico Gathers, but a concussion kept him out of 2017. Baugh possibly could add depth to the position. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Cowboys attack the position earlier in the draft.

Round 7 (236): WR Robert Foster, Alabama - Foster might be this year’s Noah brown. Big school, athletic and limited production.

Sydla

Reaction score
I could live with this draft. Not a huge fan of Vander Esch at 19 but the other picks make up for it IMO. Key in the 3rd would be worth the risk IMO. Same with Callaway with our comp pick in 4th. Risk is high with both but talent wise, it's worth it IMO in the rounds he got them.

Only thing missing would be a legit OG prospect.

Sydla

Reaction score
I dont want callaway......lots if WR talent to be had, let's get one without any issues or drama.

You won't find a WR in the 4th round or later that has the talent Callaway has. If he didn't have the issues off the field, he'd be a 2nd round guy, at least.

But you wouldn't take him in the 2nd. That'd be foolish. But with a 4th round comp pick? That's a pretty good risk to take. Most 4th rounders crap out or become just decent depth guys. Callaway's ceiling, if his head is screwed on straight, is higher than that.

Hardline

Reaction score
I can live with this mock.
Key and Callaway are worth taking at these draft slots because the reward outweighs the risk at this point.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is an excellent haul. Probably would agree, rather have a higher Guard than Cole Madison in the 6th, although he is more of a 4th rd prospect.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Give me Braden smith in round 3 instead of Key and I'll sign off on that right now
Change the 6th rounder to a lber as well...

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Is Norris a Cowboys fan? Seems to know the team well. High boom/bust potential.

My main quibble is...

D Bryant
C Beasley
A Hurns
T Williams
R Switzer
D Thompson
N Brown

Who would Callaway be displacing? Not just from an ability standpoint but from a trust standpoint.

The team isn't dumping T Williams for some unreliable putz who'll be entering the NFL in the drug program. They're not moving on from Switzer as a returner. They're not dumping Dez or Beasley because they added a Callaway. They may only keep five so Thompson and Brown might not even enter into the competition. At best you'd be spending a 4th on your 6th WR.

The guy is Pacman Jones II. Hopefully the team knows better.

Jake0

Reaction score
Agree with everyone that this is very good other than Key. I don't think there's any way Dallas takes both Key and Callaway in the same draft. I'd rather have Callaway of the 2, swap out Key with bpa OG and this is great.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Likes- Phillips in the 2nd, Callaway comp 4th, Senat in 5th!!!! My favorite value, Ito in the 6th

Eh whatever, would likely prefer multiple other players available- LVE in 1st, Moore in 4th

Please god no- Key in the 3rd

JJGR8

Reaction score
I think Jason Garrett would like to be done dealing with troubled players after Randy Gregory. They have seen this drag out too long...I don't think they take the risk on Callaway or Key even though both are high potential talents. BUT Jerry Jones runs the show...anything can happen!

Sydla

Reaction score

My main quibble is...

D Bryant
C Beasley
A Hurns
T Williams
R Switzer
D Thompson
N Brown

Who would Callaway be displacing? Not just from an ability standpoint but from a trust standpoint.

The team isn't dumping T Williams for some unreliable putz who'll be entering the NFL in the drug program. They're not moving on from Switzer as a returner. They're not dumping Dez or Beasley because they added a Callaway. They may only keep five so Thompson and Brown might not even enter into the competition. At best you'd be spending a 4th on your 6th WR.

The guy is Pacman Jones II. Hopefully the team knows better.

Using that logic, we shouldn't draft a WR at all. And yet they are basically meeting with any WR they can grab.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Using that logic, we shouldn't draft a WR at all. And yet they are basically meeting with any WR they can grab.
This suggests there is going to be a shakeup at the top, I'm expecting Dez to be released, perhaps Terrance too.

Jake0

Reaction score
Beasley and Williams are tradeable. Williams only after June 1st really but still tradeable. They may not think Noah Brown has much of a future and don't mind cutting him/sending to PS or something. Could be a large shakeup from last year's crew.

Looks like TWill is feeling the pressure to step his game up if you look at his social media. They're gonna draft someone for sure, wouldn't even count out a 2nd late round flyer/UDFA and let these guys all battle it out in camp. If Beas/TWill lose in camp they can be moved.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score

My main quibble is...

D Bryant
C Beasley
A Hurns
T Williams
R Switzer
D Thompson
N Brown

Dez is gone after the season. I think he could displace everyone else in a season or two.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm still surprised that we haven't seen a mock where Dallas uses a 4th rounder to move up in the third or something.