CowboyJoe’s Mock Draft # 1

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3737486 said:
Good effort Joe.. thanks for posting.

I think that the trade scenario you set up with our first round pick is a little unreasonable. If im letting another team trade up at the beginning of the first round, i want more back then a 5th round pick.

I would love to have Stefen Wisneiwski here out of PSU. He's a blue collar guy, tough, hard worker, intelligent, and would upgrade our line right away. I doubt he'll be around in the 3rd round though, but he'd be a fine 2nd round pick for us.

If some of you remember the name, we picked his uncle in the '89 draft out of Penn State as well. He went on to play in 8 pro bowls with the Raiders.

thanks buddy, on the trade scenario, we arent trading down, were trading up to about the 3rd to 5th pck in first round to get either peterson or frailey the DT stud, in that package, we trade up using barber, and they give us a 5th rounder to boot

i havent ran my mock draft yet, with players the cowboys have looked at, and silverbear hasnt put up his thing with the file of who the cowboys have looked at either, so i will take that into consideration too, because we did look at dez and 2 ot's last year early and we took dez

can you tell me more about his injury issues? i know he is a hard worker, tough, etc, intelligent, and good player, but i keep reading has had injury problems, so thats why im thinking he will fall some, most players with injury issues fall some

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3737295 said:
why im going with detroit, is that we ran against them with some success with barber, and detroit needs a rb

next, if you look at miami, they have about 5 to 6 ex cowboys players on their roster, and we have traded 3 or more players to the dolphins, and sparano knows dallas cowboys players

if choice has another good game, jerry jones might wake up and see that choice can run, and is running better then barber, thus you can trade barber

jahvid best and kevin smith (assuming he can actually stay fit of course.) detroits weakness in their running game is their line in my opinion not their runners.

and just because miami have a few ex cowboys doesn't mean they're going to give up anything for another.

as someone else said though keep your draft stuff coming, i love reading all the info you dig up. although i am a bit depressed i'm looking at it at the start of december :(

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
casmith07;3737508 said:
Pretty nice mock, Joe...actually it's really good. I wouldn't be mad at this at all, as long as we get a decent FS in free agency. Hell I'd be open to resigning Ken Hamlin.

thanks buddy, i still think though that Ansah is our future FS, and Ball will be CB/S in spot duty, possibly keeping sensabaugh, because now way he has played i dont think he will get a big contract from a team like he was expecting to do

not sure about ken hamlin though, but i think ansah will help us next year, and if we can get peterson, then with a year of offseason conditioining, OTAs etc, that teddy williams will come on at CB and be a lock down cb with his 4.26 speed in 40, Peterson could possibly be our stud SS like darren woodson was, while at same time, return kicks, he is excellent at that too

if somehow we can get say
Peterson or Frailey
Solder
Ijalana
Bradford bruising back
Winewski or Oregon C
FB Marecic
the Baylor big NT

i would be very happy with those picks, cant be greedy you know

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
casmith07;3737508 said:
Pretty nice mock, Joe...actually it's really good. I wouldn't be mad at this at all, as long as we get a decent FS in free agency. Hell I'd be open to resigning Ken Hamlin.

Isn't he on the street right now?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3737510 said:
thanks buddy, on the trade scenario, we arent trading down, were trading up to about the 3rd to 5th pck in first round to get either peterson or frailey the DT stud, in that package, we trade up using barber, and they give us a 5th rounder to boot

i havent ran my mock draft yet, with players the cowboys have looked at, and silverbear hasnt put up his thing with the file of who the cowboys have looked at either, so i will take that into consideration too, because we did look at dez and 2 ot's last year early and we took dez

can you tell me more about his injury issues? i know he is a hard worker, tough, etc, intelligent, and good player, but i keep reading has had injury problems, so thats why im thinking he will fall some, most players with injury issues fall some

Im not sure where you've read about him having multiple injury problems.. where have you seen this? I don't recall him having any major injuries his entire time at PSU, unless i missed something this season.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3737558 said:
Im not sure where you've read about him having multiple injury problems.. where have you seen this? I don't recall him having any major injuries his entire time at PSU, unless i missed something this season.

its in some draft sites, i will have to dig them up, because i visit about 14 main draft sites for info, along with some other sites here and there for draft news for you zoners;

but on their summary of players they said he had injury issues, so thats why i was asking

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
eightysiX;3737555 said:
I thought the Ravens snagged him.

i was thinking same thing, that they signed him, then cut him, then signed him back but dont quote me on that; :starspin

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
daschoo;3737515 said:
jahvid best and kevin smith (assuming he can actually stay fit of course.) detroits weakness in their running game is their line in my opinion not their runners.

and just because miami have a few ex cowboys doesn't mean they're going to give up anything for another.

as someone else said though keep your draft stuff coming, i love reading all the info you dig up. although i am a bit depressed i'm looking at it at the start of december :(

yeah, thats one good thing i do, my draft stuff for you zoners

i was surprised because one of the main board members here, told me that someone had wanted to get me some tickets to a cowboys game because of how i post draft stuff and have really made it enjoyable for you all last year and this year, and a bunch of you were all for it, since its so expensive, but a few zoners, had a problem with it, so i said, lets just cool it, was a downer then you know, but i didnt want to have something done for me, if some of you had a problem with it

but again, really meant alot to me that alot of you wanted to do something for me with the cowboys package thing

but i do try to post some recaps, videos, my analysis on games, and my draft stuff, brings me enjoyment sharing cowboys info that i find with you zoners;

:D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joe, I think your homer is showing.

It's bad enough that Barber is a bad running back at this point.

But he's a bad running back who comes with a $4,000,000+ salaray next season.

There is no one who is going to trade for that. Not that combination of bad running + bad contract. It's not going to happen.

Barber will be cut and then pass through waivers. Then some team will sign him for like $2 million + incentives next year.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3737568 said:
its in some draft sites, i will have to dig them up, because i visit about 14 main draft sites for info, along with some other sites here and there for draft news for you zoners;

but on their summary of players they said he had injury issues, so thats why i was asking

Well if you find something by all means post it because to my knowledge he has never had any major injury concerns in his time at PSU. I could be wrong though.

As for Hamlin, yea he was signed, released, and then signed back. He's like 3rd string on the depth chart though.

There's a reason no NFL team wants him. He was awful his last couple years here. I'll take Ball anyday over Hamlin.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3737589 said:
Joe, I think your homer is showing.

It's bad enough that Barber is a bad running back at this point.

But he's a bad running back who comes with a $4,000,000+ salaray next season.

There is no one who is going to trade for that. Not that combination of bad running + bad contract. It's not going to happen.

Barber will be cut and then pass through waivers. Then some team will sign him for like $2 million + incentives next year.

i am that at times, especially during the draft, im a die hard homer and think our players are worth a lot in draft picks etc.. :bow:

now, i was thinking this about barber, maybe jerry jones can call him in, restructure his contract, giving him bonus money are whatever upfront, and trading him then, when his contract is friendly for the first 3 or 4 years for whatever team to trade him too

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3737595 said:
Well if you find something by all means post it because to my knowledge he has never had any major injury concerns in his time at PSU. I could be wrong though.

As for Hamlin, yea he was signed, released, and then signed back. He's like 3rd string on the depth chart though.

There's a reason no NFL team wants him. He was awful his last couple years here. I'll take Ball anyday over Hamlin.

ive got some stuff to do tonight, so tomorrow i will work on it, and post it for you, when i find it buddy:star:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;3737600 said:
i am that at times, especially during the draft, im a die hard homer and think our players are worth a lot in draft picks etc.. :bow:

now, i was thinking this about barber, maybe jerry jones can call him in, restructure his contract, giving him bonus money are whatever upfront, and trading him then, when his contract is friendly for the first 3 or 4 years for whatever team to trade him too

LOL!

Joe, at least you admit it.

The problem(s) I have with your scenario is that I doubt Jerry would want to stuff more money into this "rat hole"... In order to make the player tradeable.

Secondly, I doubt any team would want to be saddled with a contract that is going to run for multiple years. Barber's best years were when he was playing for a contract. Other teams have know that he's basically sucked since he was given the large contract. They're not stupid.

And the "friendlier" this supposed contract is made, the more bonus money Jerry is going to have to cough up to get Barber to sign it. The dynamics simply don't work.

The team is better off simply cutting the player, and using any monies they are going to save from paying Barber next year towards a free agent safety or guard.

Finally, I do not know of a single time where this team has done what you're suggesting, i.e. negotiate a new contract to make the player tradeable.

They didn't do it for Troy or Emmitt or Larry Allen or Flozell

I suggest doing your next mock without the "Barber trade" scenario.

It will give it more credibility.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
PSU season ticket holder here.

Wiz started every game as a sophomore at G and then started every game as a junior at center. As a senior he started every game, mostly at guard,at the end of the year the starting center klopacz got hurt and Wiz slid down to center. As a true freshman he played extensively in most games and got 1 start. The PSU coaches realized how good he was but had 2 veteran guards so the 3 of them rotated throughout the game.

Don't recall any significant injury.

He was also a 3 time Academic All American and sports a 3.91 GPA.

Very good prospect. Think he's better at guard than center.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3737295 said:
why im going with detroit, is that we ran against them with some success with barber, and detroit needs a rb

next, if you look at miami, they have about 5 to 6 ex cowboys players on their roster, and we have traded 3 or more players to the dolphins, and sparano knows dallas cowboys players

if choice has another good game, jerry jones might wake up and see that choice can run, and is running better then barber, thus you can trade barber

Bro the lions have one of the best rb cores w best smith and Morris, need upgrades on the line

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy;3737750 said:

Wiz started every game as a sophomore at G and then started every game as a junior at center. As a senior he started every game, mostly at guard,at the end of the year the starting center klopacz got hurt and Wiz slid down to center. As a true freshman he played extensively in most games and got 1 start. The PSU coaches realized how good he was but had 2 veteran guards so the 3 of them rotated throughout the game.

thanks buddy, appreciate the info :bow:

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy;3737750 said:

Thanks for confirming.. thought i was losing it. I couldn't remember even a small injury to the guy ha.