CowboyJoe's 1st Mock Draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
This is my first mock draft for 2012, note I am going to post only 2 of my sleeper picks in this mock draft yet. Want to keep some of them private yet, hehe. So, tear it up, mull it over, post your opinion, and note I only did 3 trades in this draft. with cowboys winding up with 12 picks. Naturally, I only see cowboys taking 8-9 picks in the draft with possible trades but no more, but wanted my first mock to show players i am really interested in that the cowboys could get and help turn this team around quickly.

1st Round, possibly trade up with Kansas City, (depending on who the head coach is and if he trades) so cowboys take best player available to solidfy their offensive line David DeCastro*OG Stanford 6' 5" 310.

We then work out a trade or work it so that a team gets spencer, anthony and in response we get a 2nd rounder for compensation and a 4th rounder.
This involves cowboys trading up to get DeCastro, so a good deal for both parties in my opinion, while chiefs get our 1st rounder.

2nd round Chiefs in trade cowboys get vinny curry Marshall DE/OLB 6-5 242

2nd round Cowboys take Brandon Boykin Georgia 5-10 185 (Note we trade this pick down a few slots and pick up an extra 4th.

3rd round Cowboys take Mike Brewster 6-5 293 Ohio (Note again we trade this pick down another few slots and get an extra 5th and 7th.)

4th round pick from chiefs or whoever for trade to get spencer
Chandler Harnish QB Northern Illinois 6-2 220 4.72 in 40

4th round cowboys pick George Iloka Boise St. 6-3 213 S This is your safety that can play LB in certain situations 4.42 to 4.5 in 40 reminds me of a young darren woodson.

4th round for trading down above Kevin Zetler OG Wisconsin 6-4 315, this solidifies the offensive line for years.

5th round Matt Conrath DE 6-7 270 Virginia, this fills our big DE need

5th extra pick for trading down evan rodriguez fb temple 6-2 250 4.67 in 40. Note I wanted chris diehl but he is coming off of a leg injury and we need players healthy and ready to go into offseason training, not wait like ansah etc..

6th round drew butler Georgia punter 6-1 1/2 214 excellent punter at this late round

7th round Matt McCants 6-7 295 UAB Mean nasty OT, 5.16 in 40, always take best athlete available to develop

7th round for trading down tyrone carrier houston 5-6 170 4.39 in 40 or marquis maze alabama 5-8 184 both are elite punt and kickoff returners, so we choose one of them. Note, I wanted a TE and a big NT but you cant have everything.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Now for those saying to many picks to draft or get in trades, here is where I cut it down some. This mock draft has just 9 picks, thats 2 more than we get.

1st Round, possibly trade up with Kansas City, or some team, (depending on who the head coach is and if he trades) so cowboys take best player available to solidfy their offensive line David DeCastro*OG Stanford 6' 5" 310.

We then work out a trade or work it so that a team gets spencer, anthony and in response we get a 2nd rounder for compensation .
This involves cowboys trading up to get DeCastro, so a good deal for both parties in my opinion, while chiefs get our 1st rounder.

2nd round Chiefs in trade cowboys get vinny curry Marshall DE/OLB 6-5 242

2nd round Cowboys take Brandon Boykin Georgia 5-10 185 (Note we trade this pick down a few slots and pick up an extra 4th.

3rd round Cowboys take Mike Brewster Ohio 6-5 293 (Note again we trade this pick down another few slots and get an extra 5th and 7th.)

4th round cowboys pick George Iloka Boise St. 6-3 213 S This is your safety that can play LB in certain situations 4.42 to 4.5 in 40 reminds me of a young darren woodson.

5th round Matt Conrath DE 6-7 270 Virginia, this fills our big DE need

5th extra pick for trading down evan rodriguez fb temple 6-2 250 4.67 in 40. Note I wanted chris diehl but he is coming off of a leg injury and we need players healthy and ready to go into offseason training, not wait like ansah etc..

6th round drew butler punter Georgia 6-1 1/2 214 excellent punter at this late round

7th round Matt McCants 6-7 295 UAB Mean nasty OT, 5.16 in 40, always take best athlete available to develop

jnday

Reaction score
Joe , you said you can't have everything . Well , you're mighty close . The chances of the draft falling this way is slim , about the same chance as me winning the lotto ( I don't buy tickets ) . I give you an "A" for effort though .

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I thought Spencer was a free agent at the end of the season. If so, no one will trade anything for him. Anyway, Spencer won't bring anything in a trade even if he wasn't a FA imo.

Good players in your draft but I doubt if any of it happens.

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Why resign Spencer if we are just gonna trade him.......and why would the team we are trading with not just sign him them self.

The mock is not Defense strong for my liking........maybe FA should be added if so how u thinking???

Otherwise good mock

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ninja;4327791 said:
I thought Spencer was a free agent at the end of the season. If so, no one will trade anything for him. Anyway, Spencer won't bring anything in a trade even if he wasn't a FA imo.

Good players in your draft but I doubt if any of it happens.

Thanks, he is a FA, but you can barter negotiations during the draft, work out a deal and trade him. Doubtful that would happen but you never know. So, I kept my options open in my first mock for 2012.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
TheDallasDon;4327792 said:
Why resign Spencer if we are just gonna trade him.......and why would the team we are trading with not just sign him them self.

The mock is not Defense strong for my liking........maybe FA should be added if so how u thinking???

Otherwise good mock

Ive got a few free agents on my mind we could help us in free agency. This mock was to build mainly one side of the ball with a few mixed in defensive players. Next mock will be mostly defensive with 1 or 2 offensive players. Reason why i went offensive first is this league is going strongly to 3 and 4 wrs so i wanted to fix our offensive line first, with a good fullback to boot.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
jnday;4327790 said:
Joe , you said you can't have everything . Well , you're mighty close . The chances of the draft falling this way is slim , about the same chance as me winning the lotto ( I don't buy tickets ) . I give you an "A" for effort though .

Thanks buddy, at least i tried. :D Never hurts to dream you know. :starspin

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4327794 said:
Thanks, he is a FA, but you can barter negotiations during the draft, work out a deal and trade him. Doubtful that would happen but you never know. So, I kept my options open in my first mock for 2012.

Yes but FA is before the draft right.......or am I having a brain fart

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
TheDallasDon;4327800 said:
Yes but FA is before the draft right.......or am I having a brain fart

It does, feb 27th i think unless that has changed, but you can negotiate contracts talk with spencer, even put the franchise tag on him so no team can sign him till you get decent contract worked out, then some team interested in him could trade for him prior to draft or during draft. Hey you never know, rob ryan may be a head coach next yr, you never know and rob may want to trade for spencer and get a good deal. Doubtful ryan will be a head coach next yr, because he hasnt worked out dallas cowboys defense as a top defense yet.

jnday

Reaction score
Joe , you think of options and that would drive a GM off the deep end . You have got a point , you never know . You will take Kiper's place if you keep this up .

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
jnday;4327835 said:
Joe , you think of options and that would drive a GM off the deep end . You have got a point , you never know . You will take Kiper's place if you keep this up .

Right buddy, you never know, like jason garrett said you cover all options, and you leave no stone unturned, because you never know what may happen in the draft. I remember years ago, the cowboys wanted a certain OG/T and the raiders chose him right before the cowboys.

Was said that the cowboys were stunned and not prepared in who to take just in case their OL they highly coveted was taken. So, you have to be prepared and have an option available. Just like in first round this year, looked like jason garrett was making a possible trade with patriots on the phone, but belicheater made another move with saints and they got ingram rb. Jason looked really ticked off, but regrouped and got murray in 3rd rd.
And in 4 1/2 more days, my war room will be up. Wil be updating my war room till draft time,but nuts and bolts of it will be up along with my other cowboys stuff, my big surprise too. I think my war room this year will blow some of you away.
So, you have to be prepared and be ready for any scenario. :starspin

Bigdog

Reaction score
I would love to have the draft fall this way but to get DeCastro, Brewster, Zeiter, and Marshall in one draft is quiet the coup. Zieter won't drop to the 4th rd. Nice efftort though. Thanks for sharing.

Randy White

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4327805 said:
It does, feb 27th i think unless that has changed, but you can negotiate contracts talk with spencer, even put the franchise tag on him so no team can sign him till you get decent contract worked out, then some team interested in him could trade for him prior to draft or during draft. Hey you never know, rob ryan may be a head coach next yr, you never know and rob may want to trade for spencer and get a good deal. Doubtful ryan will be a head coach next yr, because he hasnt worked out dallas cowboys defense as a top defense yet.

I don't think there's a team in the NFL who thinks Spencer is worth a 2nd round draft choice. I don't think the Cowboys themselves value him that high which is doubtful that they'll even contemplate franchising him and tying up the cap space that comes with it. Especially after the season is over which is the time of the year when draft picks' value start soaring.

IF, and I'm talking about a big IF, there's player that the Cowboys have who's good enough to bring back that type of value, and they might be willing ( very doubtful ) to move, the closest I can think of is Doug Free. Not a huge contract, still young, his replacement already on the roster in Tyron Smith, and plays a valuable position. His cap hit would be close to 8 million dollars if he gets traded, which represents yet another obstacle..

The next in line would be another one that, imo, they wouldn't even spend a thought on it, and that is Miles Austin. His contract is VERY cap friendly, no signing bonus and all the guaranteed part has already been paid. But he's not going to be moved at leat for another year ( if then ) because Dez is still growing and Robinson is an unrestricted FA after this season.

The most realistic way for the Cowboys to get an extra 2nd round choice is by trading down from the first round and it's way too early to tell where that's going to be.

Hell, we might have the 2nd highest pick in the division if things don't go well within the next 2 weeks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;4327780 said:
We then work out a trade or work it so that a team gets spencer, anthony and in response we get a 2nd rounder for compensation and a 4th rounder.

Joe, I think you are trying to do something similiar to an NBA sign-and-trade. I don't think this has ever been done in the NFL.

The only way that a team could get value by signing a FA and then trading him would be by eating the signing bonus.

Example:

Team A has a lot of room under their salary cap and, signs a FA to a 5 year 30 million contract with 15 mil of that as a signing bonus.

Team B has a tight salary and trades draft picks for the player from team A.

Now Team B only has to pay 15 mil to the player over 5 years instead of 30 mil or 3 mil per year instead of 6 mil per year.

Team A has to "eat" the 15 mil signing bonus but gets draft picks in return.

With the new CBA and the minimum salary cap limit, I guess that this could happen at some point with a bad team that wanted more draft picks and a good team that just wanted to win now.

I don't think this would work for a team like the Cowboys because they are already stretched thin on the salary cap.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
xwalker;4328832 said:
Joe, I think you are trying to do something similiar to an NBA sign-and-trade. I don't think this has ever been done in the NFL.

The only way that a team could get value by signing a FA and then trading him would be by eating the signing bonus.

Example:

Team A has a lot of room under their salary cap and, signs a FA to a 5 year 30 million contract with 15 mil of that as a signing bonus.

Team B has a tight salary and trades draft picks for the player from team A.

Now Team B only has to pay 15 mil to the player over 5 years instead of 30 mil or 3 mil per year instead of 6 mil per year.

Team A has to "eat" the 15 mil signing bonus but gets draft picks in return.

With the new CBA and the minimum salary cap limit, I guess that this could happen at some point with a bad team that wanted more draft picks and a good team that just wanted to win now.

I don't think this would work for a team like the Cowboys because they are already stretched thin on the salary cap.

Bingo, kinda what i was refering to. There is always new ways to circumvent things if you look hard enough. Probably wouldnt get the draft picks i said to like moving up with chiefs swapping number one picks but you could use spencer like you were saying to move up to where chiefs are picking and get decastro the OG.

You probably could get say a 3rd rounder for spencer thrown in the deal. Or you possibly could trade spencer to the rams,they need linebacker help badly for a 2nd or 3rd and a 5th thrown in.

Main thing, have every scenario covered and ready to pounce on better players. Then, if we can get a center in 2nd or 3rd, with a cornerback or linebacker along their somewhere too, we would have a pretty good dominant offensive line with
LT Tyron Smith, Arkin/Holland/Kosier LG, Jones or Webster C, Decastro RG, Doug Free ROT, you would have an offensive line like the cowboys had in the 90s that could dominate by midseason.

Hopefully get 3 really good free agents in March or April before the draft, that can help this team too. Reports are we are going to have about 20 million to spend next year, that more than enough to get 3 super players to help this team.

Then, were ready to make a run.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Decastro is top 15 talent, not likely that Jerry trades up for an OG, even one as talented as DeCastro.

But love the Rodriguez and Iloka picks. Iloka could be a Nmandi type, safety converted to a big press corner. McCants is intriguing too.

I enjoy your mocks Joe, you always have a surprise or two for me.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
VACowboy;4328359 said:
I love DeCastro but I'd hate to trade up for him.

i'd have no problem gtrading up for him. They loved Iupati 2 years ago and this guy grades out better imo.