CowboyJoe's Next to Last Mock 2011 (using SDogo's Super Spreadsheet & Info)

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Cowboys try to trade up to get Patrick Peterson, but price to high and Peterson goes at least 5th player overall. So, getting calls in from reports from our great zoners Hos and SDogo and a few others, Cowboys trade down to 11th pick with Texans, get a 4th and 6th rounder to boot. Note, I used some of Hos's info and a few other's inside info to compile this mock draft.

Cowboys get another call from the Rams, Dolphins or Patriots trade down as far as the 17th pick, get a 2nd rounder and 7th.

# 1 Pick 14th to 17th Cowboys take DE J J Watt

# 2 Pick in trade down Take QB Andy Dalton

Cowboys trade their own 2nd rounder down to the 50th pick, get a 3rd and 7th,
# 2 Cowboys take Kendrick Ellis NT

# 3 Pick Cowboys take Will Rackley OT/OG

# 3 Pick Cowboys take Mason Foster LB

# 4 Cowboys take Kristofer O'Dowd C

# 4 Cowboys take Julius Thomas TE or Charles Clay RB/FB

# 5 Cowboys take Cecil Shorts WR/KR

# 6 Cowboys take Stefan Ridley RB/HB

# 6 Cowboys take DeMarcus Van Dyke

# 7 Stefan Skelton TE

# 7 Nick Bellore ILB

# 7 Korey Lindsey CB

# 7 Zane Parr DE

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Damn thats a lot of picks Joe! :laugh2:

If the Cowboys sign a FA tackle and Huff, I like it.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
nyc;3920014 said:
Damn thats a lot of picks Joe! :laugh2:

If the Cowboys sign a FA tackle and Huff, I like it.

there isnt a FA tackle that could help us. All are old and over the hill, no thanks. I like the draft except for the 2nd round. Dalton and then Ellis when you pick Watt. Why do you need Ellis when you just spent a 1st on Watt. Ellis is not a NT, way to tall and plays way to high to be a NT. NFL OGs and Cs will get under his pads. Ellis is a 3-4 DE.

I would rather see us trade back up and into the 1st and get Carimi or stay put and get Cannon or Carpenter in the 2nd. Also I really want Harris.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
[youtube]8QT2-mRCgX0[/youtube]

J J Watt

[youtube]HY_J_w4oQfc[/youtube]

andy dalton

[youtube]aCrZdZFf1dI[/youtube]

[youtube]vDhgBSHOa_U[/youtube]

[youtube]4yVGhfkEDEU&feature=fvst[/youtube]
this one maybe hard for Hos to watch

[youtube]i9TtaJuxnQY[/youtube]

[youtube]SKgTpd3EPDU[/youtube]

[youtube]9MC-6pp9rnU[/youtube]

[youtube]OdtViW3CMeo&feature=fvst[/youtube]

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
supercowboy8;3920027 said:
there isnt a FA tackle that could help us. All are old and over the hill, no thanks. I like the draft except for the 2nd round. Dalton and then Ellis when you pick Watt. Why do you need Ellis when you just spent a 1st on Watt. Ellis is not a NT, way to tall and plays way to high to be a NT. NFL OGs and Cs will get under his pads. Ellis is a 3-4 DE.

I would rather see us trade back up and into the 1st and get Carimi or stay put and get Cannon or Carpenter in the 2nd. Also I really want Harris.
I think Clabo would fit in nicely.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
That be a lot of picks but I cant complain about any of them!

Thanks for the shout out as well ;)

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
[youtube]ot6IHMroG0A[/youtube]

[youtube]CSNKDCUdFT8[/youtube]

[youtube]tVX5qaX_jfw[/youtube]

[youtube]lPfcOd-zok4[/youtube]

[youtube]iCxEuMEV25Q[/youtube]

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SDogo;3920043 said:
That be a lot of picks but I cant complain about any of them!

Thanks for the shout out as well ;)

yw buddy, i think cowboys will wind up with about 11 t0 12 picks if they trade down in 1st round, if there is no cba before the draft and you cant sign any undrafted players after the draft, cowboys will load up i think like they did in 2009 only if value is there

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Wow, that is an amazing TD for Steven Ridley. Didn't care for the celebration though. ;)

Woods

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Van Dyke lost his starting job last season?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I love watching Van Dyke on film. He is just one of those player like Chris Johnson or Devin Hester where you can just see that he is that much faster then anyone on the field.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;3920106 said:

i would gather has something to do with this;
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...van-dyke?source=rss_teams_Philadelphia_Eagles

One of the biggest doubts about Van Dyke is his size. At 6'1" and 176 pounds, no one is worried about his height. Instead, his skinny frame is a big concern. He clearly has the speed to run with receivers down the field, but he doesn't have the bulk to step up and take on larger running backs around the league. Also, when backs have a blocker out in front of them, he has trouble shedding blocks and gets overpowered quite easily.

Larger receivers will also have an advantage on Van Dyke and can use their frames to box out on him. Van Dyke has long arms in which he has relied on heavily in his college career to break up passes at the last second. However, this isn't a technique that should be relied on too heavily at the next level.

Van Dyke didn't put together a career at Miami that has him being a first- or second-day selection. Instead, he is projected as a late Day 3 player.

and this
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dolphins/joerose/2011/03/rosenhaus_rips_shannons_talent.html
Drew, one of of the great stories I like is that one of your clients who only started a couple of games for the University of Miami last year, DeMarcus Van Dyke. We had a draft expert on earlier who said that he might be able to sneak into round 2 of the draft. That's unbelievable if that's true, Drew: "I think it is, Joe. My sense is that this is rare speed. This the fastest player who has been timed from the University of Miami, which historically has been one of the fastest schools. He plays a pivotal position, where speed really is the No. 1 denominator, and the guy's got game-breaking speed. And he's a great kid. ... Here's my take on it. When you run a 4.28[-second 40-yard dash], there's not many guys in the entire NFL that can do that. You're talking about Chris Johnson-type speed. And, at that cornerback position, that means he can run with any receiver in the game. So, this is going to be great for him. His good friend, Sam Shields, also has indirectly helped. Sam, he didn't play a whole lot, either, and he came into the NFL and played at a very, very high level."

How do we read into that, Drew? "Well, I think it's probably one of the reasons that they have made an adjustment with the coaching staff. I guess they felt that, you know, the talent didn't translate with respect to the wins and losses. But it's very easy to hand pick a couple guys, and I'm not going to."

No, no. I'm not asking you trash Randy Shannon. I gotcha: "No one's perfect and you do make mistakes, but, at the end of the day, DeMarcus Van Dyke not starting for the University of Miami this year, playing behind another player who wasn't even invited to the combine, I don't understand that. I really don't."

Woods

Reaction score
CowboyJoe,

It's this statement here,

No, no. I'm not asking you trash Randy Shannon. I gotcha: "No one's perfect and you do make mistakes, but, at the end of the day, DeMarcus Van Dyke not starting for the University of Miami this year, playing behind another player who wasn't even invited to the combine, I don't understand that. I really don't."

I can see concerns regarding Van Dyke with his lack of size in the pros, but it's amazing the guy lost his starting position in college (and is still projected to go in the top 5 rounds).

I wonder if it was that he wasn't a good enough tackler in college or was dinged up a bit or whatever that he lost his starting job in college.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Dash28;3920042 said:
I think Clabo would fit in nicely.

why is that, why would the Falcons let him go. Can you imagine how much he wants now.

Clabo went to his first pro bowl last year and now a FA and will be 30 this season. He is going to want a big deal due to his pro bowl selection now on his resume. I don't want to give a 30 year OL a big deal just to jabe to release him in 3 years and get killed with a cap hit. I think resigning Colombo and signing Davis should have thought Dallas that lesson. Why can't we just get a young draft pick that can play RT like all the other playoff teams?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Woods;3920106 said:

because he can't cover. He has the speed but not the football IQ or strength.

Woods

Reaction score
supercowboy8;3920151 said:
because he can't cover. He has the speed but not the football IQ or strength.

Well, I guess that would explain it . . . . I thought maybe he was dinged up or something . . . .

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;3920145 said:
CowboyJoe,

It's this statement here,

I can see concerns regarding Van Dyke with his lack of size in the pros, but it's amazing the guy lost his starting position in college (and is still projected to go in the top 5 rounds).

I wonder if it was that he wasn't a good enough tackler in college or was dinged up a bit or whatever that he lost his starting job in college.

right buddy, at just 176 pounds would be hard for him to tackle regularly and stay healthy etc....but still you shouldnt question speed, its up to the head coach to get him on the field in some capacity and use him to help the team win:cool:

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3920003 said:
# 1 Pick 14th to 17th Cowboys take DE J J Watt

# 2 Pick in trade down Take QB Andy Dalton

Cowboys trade their own 2nd rounder down to the 50th pick, get a 3rd and 7th,
# 2 Cowboys take Kendrick Ellis NT

# 3 Pick Cowboys take Will Rackley OT/OG

# 3 Pick Cowboys take Mason Foster LB

# 4 Cowboys take Kristofer O'Dowd C

# 4 Cowboys take Julius Thomas TE or Charles Clay RB/FB

# 5 Cowboys take Cecil Shorts WR/KR

# 6 Cowboys take Stefan Ridley RB/HB

# 6 Cowboys take DeMarcus Van Dyke

# 7 Stefan Skelton TE

# 7 Nick Bellore ILB

# 7 Korey Lindsey CB

# 7 Zane Parr DE

With the exception of Watt, there's not a single starter among this bunch.

Not one.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
SDogo;3920113 said:
I love watching Van Dyke on film. He is just one of those player like Chris Johnson or Devin Hester where you can just see that he is that much faster then anyone on the field.

Has a little of dominque roders-cromatie look to him. Long and lanky with blazing speed.