Cowboys 2012 - 2 new players

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Cowboys could be a completely different team with just 2 new players.

1. Top notch Center - Hopefuly Peter Konz
2. Top notch OG - Best bet would be Ben Grubbs in FA (maybe Carl Nicks)

These 2 players would make everyone else better:
The other 3 OL would be better.
Romo would have more time.
The receivers would have more time to get open.
The running backs benefit from a better OL.
The defense would benefit from better offensive time of possession and from playing with the Cowboys ahead on the scoreboard.
Garrett's play calling/design would improve.

They would need to keep Newman and re-sign:
Sensabaugh
Elam
Spencer

Nagy, Arkin, Costa would have a full offseason with Wocik. They could all compete for the other OG spot.

Brent, Lissemore and Geathers would have a full offseason with Wocik.

Bruce Carter will have some experience, a full offseason with Wocik and a full training camp.

Tyron Smith should go from really good to dominant.

alsmith

Reaction score
So what make you think that another rookie Center is better than Costa, whom by the way has player well for his first season, he will only get better as time goes...

CCBoy

Reaction score
A true stud is needed in the offensive line's interior. The front of the Dallas pocket has to be strong and stable to ensure continuity with the time line of current Dallas skill players. That is very important. I agree. Ideally, a dominant center is added, and I agree on the need for another and very strong guard. Kyle Kosier appears to have enetered an injury point in his own career, and the shelf life of both Derrick Dockery and Montae Holland has to be questioned at the very least.

My other point of focus for an additiona, would without hesitation, be the defensive line itself. When one is faced with just two choices, the decision line is not confounded to a great degree. Pressure is just adjusted and adapted to. But add in a third and legitimate focus point, and an aggressive nature in the defensive front makes mental mistakes and blown executions. Aggression and disruption then dominates against that offense.

An offense can only dominate through it's own offensive line, in a protective and unified defensive posture in pass protection. Or in a very limited space relevant area on the field, when running the ball. All else flows with skillsets of skill players.

I feel that Dallas has got to acquire a defensive tackle that is a dominant piece. A consistant and three pronged aggressive front has got to be maintained to bring dominance to a 3-4 defense. Otherwise, it can be pushed into corridors and exploited consistently by the run. This current player group, does not accomplish that. One has Jay Ratliff, who is wearing down right now to lack of a third alternative. And then you have Demarcus Ware on the outside.

I'm sorry, but Kenyon Coleman is not the stout block portrayed at season's start. He well may have brought a needed knowledge of system, but dominance was left in his past year's play.

Dallas has a good rotation, but not the needed dominance to alter decisions of individual players, and their applied schemes.

Add a truely powerful interior force, and this is gained by the entire defense.
The current and team totals of 22 sacks, 10 interceptions, and 5 fumble recoveries....then explode into Baltimore Raven areas of defensive categories.

With that counterbalance, the offense will get good at moving across the field, and in the Red Zones...as game natures will change as well.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
alsmith;4234796 said:
So what make you think that another rookie Center is better than Costa, whom by the way has player well for his first season, he will only get better as time goes...

Because I'm guessing the new center will have talent.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
xwalker;4234534 said:
I think the Cowboys could be a completely different team with just 2 new players.

1. Top notch Center - Hopefuly Peter Konz
2. Top notch OG - Best bet would be Ben Grubbs in FA (maybe Carl Nicks)

These 2 players would make everyone else better:
The other 3 OL would be better.
Romo would have more time.
The receivers would have more time to get open.
The running backs benefit from a better OL.
The defense would benefit from better offensive time of possession and from playing with the Cowboys ahead on the scoreboard.
Garrett's play calling/design would improve.

They would need to keep Newman and re-sign:
Sensabaugh
Elam
Spencer

Nagy, Arkin, Costa would have a full offseason with Wocik. They could all compete for the other OG spot.

Brent, Lissemore and Geathers would have a full offseason with Wocik.

Bruce Carter will have some experience, a full offseason with Wocik and a full training camp.

Tyron Smith should go from really good to dominant.

why stop there, why not a top notch everything else? And why ignore FS play again for another season.

yentl911

Reaction score
Throw me in for an additional CB - you can never have enough in this day of the NFL and a center that can anchor at the point of attack against without help.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just a little dose of 'reality.'

Week 9 DVOA Ratings | Football Outsiders

•Over the last 20 years, NFC East teams have spent the following number of weeks with the highest DVOA rating (overall rank in parenthesis): Philadelphia 41 (1st) , Dallas 26 (3rd), NY Giants 11 (13th), Washington 0 (lol).

•Unfortunately, Dallas hasn't performed the feat since 1997. D'Oh!

•Total DVOA rankings: Giants (6th), Eagles (14th), Cowboys (16th), Washington (24th)

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/11/9/2550429/cowboys-nfc-east-news-and-links

Really wondering why the highest completion percentage in the Dallas Cowboys' Organization has been steadily decreasing?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I like the idea of the entire current group of interior line battling it out for 1 spot.

Tyron - Grubbs - konz - arkin - Free

Would be The best OL pretty much in my lifetime

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4235030 said:
I like the idea of the entire current group of interior line battling it out for 1 spot.

Tyron - Grubbs - konz - arkin - Free

Would be The best OL pretty much in my lifetime

Why not Tyron - Nicks - Konz - Zeitler - Free?

Talk about a beast OL.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Also Grubbs has a better chance at making it to the open market considering the contractual status of flacco and rice,

Flacco will get a deal, but teams are always weary of paying RB's. Look at CJ and forte. And rice has a Ton of carries under his belt