Cowboys 2013 Draft Targets: Clemson WR DeAndre "Nuke" Hopkins

RS12

Reaction score
Our scouts place Hopkins in "the bend," that liminal space in the late first to early second rounds. I think he's a bit better than that. He's not one of those size-speed monsters who teams fall in love with, hoping they can turn them into NFL receivers. Rather, Hopkins is the kind of collegiate receiver who successfully transitions to the pro game: one with a pro-ready game. He's a natural, highly productive wideout with uncanny awareness for the nuances of the position. So, despite his lack of top-end speed, I'm going to place him in the first round on my 2013 "little board."

We must ask: if he is indeed a bend player, why did the Cowboys, who pick in the middle of both rounds, invite him to Valley Ranch? As O.C.C. noted a couple of weeks ago, the team has done a good job extending invitations to players who ended up being selected within striking distance of their picks. If this holds true, then they think Hopkins is a) worthy of the 18th pick or b) stands a reasonable chance of "clearing the bend" and being on the board when they pick at #47. In other words, they think he's a little better or not quite as good as our panel of scouts does.

The question is which? I love the player and can envision a scenario in which Dallas drafts him at #18, but I'd be more comfortable were they to get him in round two. If he had legit 4.4 speed, I think he'd be an early first-rounder, and they'd have no choice but to spend the 18th pick on him. Because he's run in the low 4.5s, he'll drop...but will he fall as far as 47? If so, Ol' Rabble promises to record his happy dance and post it on YouTube.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...2013-draft-targets-clemson-wr-deandre-hopkins

Gaede

Reaction score
My favourite WR in the draft. I love his toughness. Would love to see us get him, but I really doubt he's sitting there at 47 and I don't want to use #18

Smith22

Reaction score
CowboysYanksLakers;5053591 said:
Based on needs I wouldn't take him in the 2nd round...

Drafting for need is how you lose out on better players. Miles Austin will only be here 1 to 2 years at most. I would have no problem with this pick if he offers more value. Now if they had him and a position of need rated almost identical, then I would go with need.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
RS12;5053384 said:
Our scouts place Hopkins in "the bend," that liminal space in the late first to early second rounds. I think he's a bit better than that. He's not one of those size-speed monsters who teams fall in love with, hoping they can turn them into NFL receivers. Rather, Hopkins is the kind of collegiate receiver who successfully transitions to the pro game: one with a pro-ready game. He's a natural, highly productive wideout with uncanny awareness for the nuances of the position. So, despite his lack of top-end speed, I'm going to place him in the first round on my 2013 "little board."

We must ask: if he is indeed a bend player, why did the Cowboys, who pick in the middle of both rounds, invite him to Valley Ranch? As O.C.C. noted a couple of weeks ago, the team has done a good job extending invitations to players who ended up being selected within striking distance of their picks. If this holds true, then they think Hopkins is a) worthy of the 18th pick or b) stands a reasonable chance of "clearing the bend" and being on the board when they pick at #47. In other words, they think he's a little better or not quite as good as our panel of scouts does.

The question is which? I love the player and can envision a scenario in which Dallas drafts him at #18, but I'd be more comfortable were they to get him in round two. If he had legit 4.4 speed, I think he'd be an early first-rounder, and they'd have no choice but to spend the 18th pick on him. Because he's run in the low 4.5s, he'll drop...but will he fall as far as 47? If so, Ol' Rabble promises to record his happy dance and post it on YouTube.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...2013-draft-targets-clemson-wr-deandre-hopkins

I do not believe he falls to #47. A great receiver will fall and if we go with our board and grab him so be it.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
The Rams are reportedly all over him. Working him out today for 2nd time in four days. No way he gets to us in 2nd.

DFWJC

Reaction score
CIWhitefish;5053898 said:
The Rams are reportedly all over him. Working him out today for 2nd time in four days. No way he gets to us in 2nd.
Maybe the most NFL ready WR in the draft. Good size, large hands, precise route-runner, and he catches everything with his fingertips...like glue.
I saw a sports Science film of him catching 48 straight passes (varying velocity and direction) using his fingertips only. Amazing.

His upside does not match Patterson's and his speed does not match Tavon's or Patterson's but he's good right now and play one of the classic WR spots.

The rumblings of possible character concerns is something any team will need to investigate.

I don't see him in Dallas. He'll go too early for us to get him the 2nd and no way we snag him at 18.
He may not even be an RKG anyway.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
It's sounding like we are wanting a deep threat . We are highly interested in tavon Austin , Hopkins , Justin hunter

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pessimist_cowboy;5054065 said:
It's sounding like we are wanting a deep threat . We are highly interested in tavon Austin , Hopkins , Justin hunter
The only deep threat there is Hunter.

Tavon is a brilliant guy out of the slot that busts long gains due to his moves and speed. He could catch a bomb for sure, but unless a 5'8 player is totally wide open, it's very hard to complete the long ball to them. He can get open pretty much anywhere though.

Hopkins is more of a steady, reliable WR who catches everything but lacks real deep speed.

Hunter is very tall, very fast, and a super athlete. The classic deep threat.

visionary

Reaction score
Smith22;5053730 said:
Drafting for need is how you lose out on better players. .

so should we take Tavon Austn in rd 1 and "Nuke" in rd 2?

just curious

DFWJC

Reaction score
visionary;5054074 said:
so should we take Tavon Austn in rd 1 and "Nuke" in rd 2?

just curious
funny guy

How about Marcus Wheaton in the 3rd or preferably the 4th, or Chris Harper in the 4th or 5th, or Josh Boyce inthe 5th or 6th?

No thanks at all to a WR in the 1st or 2nd.
I'm sure even going BPA we can find a DT, OG, OT, DE, OLB, or RB before considering a WR. Assuming good value.

visionary

Reaction score
DFWJC;5054088 said:
funny guy

How about Marcus Wheaton in the 3rd or preferably the 4th, or Chris Harper in the 4th or 5th, or Josh Boyce inthe 5th or 6th?

I'm sure even going BPA we can find a DT, OG, OT, DE, OLB, or RB before considering a WR. Assuming good value.

agree DFW

it has just become the thing to do (by some) on this board to use "go BPA" as a stick and to shout people down who want to consider need

just pointing out the inherent fallacy of the argument and making the point that most teams use a tier-based system where they absolutely do (and should) take need into consideration

there is a reason why the cleveland browns are not considering one of the OTs at 6, they already have 2 starting OTs under contract and one of the best LTs (joe thomas) at LT

if going BPA, they should take one of the top OTs if they drop to 6 but they wont
i dont think that is bad drafting
i think it makes perfect sense

bad drafting (among other things) relates to taking a much inferior player based purely on need

considering need as a component in drafting is absolutely the right thing to do

RS12

Reaction score
Read a piece on him USA today about a week ago. Father was a drug dealer killed in a car accident when he was an infant. Mother was doused in acid by anther woman in a convenince store and lost most of her sight and lot of skin. Many family tragedies, untimely deaths of young people in the family over the years. Article made him sound like good charactor and mature. When I watch him play, I see a slightly less explosive Hackem Nicks. Great hands, makes plays, doesnt miss games. I like him alot.

XxTDxX

Reaction score
DFWJC;5054088 said:
funny guy

Markus Wheaton will not be there for our 3rd or 4th.

I'de take Wheaton in the 2nd.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22;5053730 said:
Drafting for need is how you lose out on better players. Miles Austin will only be here 1 to 2 years at most. I would have no problem with this pick if he offers more value. Now if they had him and a position of need rated almost identical, then I would go with need.
If he is BPA, then that would allow them to cut Austin next year and use his salary to fill a need.

They might even fill the need this year, after the draft, by giving an OLineman a 2-year contract with most of the money guaranteed in year 2 with a small cap hit this year. They could pay for it with Austin's salary next year.