Cowboys 2013 Draft Targets: Rutgers TE D.C. Jefferson

RS12

Reaction score
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...fferson?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jefferson appears to be the lowest-ranked player among the 30 national invitees to Valley Ranch earlier this month. In fact, the highest draft slot afforded him is Lande's 192nd, which would mean he'd be drafted late Saturday afternoon, somewhere in the late sixth round. The others think he's a UDFA candidate, at best. After hearing he was an invitee, I did some sleuthing and found enough positive assessments of his game that I'm confident he'll be drafted (heck, Ed Cahill gave him to Dallas in the fourth round in the mothership's most recent mock draft). I'm not quite that confident, but I'll place Jefferson in the sixth round in my 2013 "little board."

What about him interested the Cowboys enough to warrant a trip to the Ranch? The same thing that earned Dion Sims an invite: he's a superb blocker. ESPN's Horton rates players from 1 (best) to 4 (worst) in a variety of categories; Jefferson was the only tight end in this year's class who received a "1" for his blocking. As I noted in my assessment of Sims, the Cowboys have missed Martellus Bennett's blocking and are looking for a collegian who can provide a Bennett-like push as an in-line "Y" tight end. Anything before a third-day pick for such a specimen is too rich for my blood. If they were to get that kind of blocker in, say, the sixth round, however, Ol' Rabble would nod vigorously and thump the table in approval...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D.C. Jefferson
Height: 6056
Weight: 255
40 Yrd Dash: 4.97
20 Yrd Dash: 2.89
10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.62
3-Cone Drill: 7.33

03/28/13 - 2013 Rutgers Pro Day: D.C. Jefferson, TE (6-6 1/8, 262) - Jefferson ran the 40 in 5.00 and 4.97 seconds. He had a 32 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot-11 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.62 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.47 seconds. He did not do the bench press due to an injury. Jefferson was also at the combine. He will be drafted by a team looking for a blocking tight end; he’s a good receiver, but a much better blocker. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
www.nfldraftscout.com

Hailmary

Reaction score
His receiving game may still develop seeing as how he's pretty new to the position. I'm actually surprised how good his blocking is considering he was a converted QB. I'd have no problem taking him in the later rounds. It'll be like drafting an extra lineman.