Cowboys 2013 Draft Targets: UConn OLB Sio Moore

RS12

Reaction score
Moore, whose full first name is Snorsio, was born in the African country of Liberia, and grew up in Connecticut before moving to North Carolina after his freshman year of high school. He played in four games as a redshirt freshman (six tackles, one for loss) before taking the starting job four games into the Huskies' 2010 campaign and never relinquishing it. For the next three years, Moore was a highly productive playmaker. In his sophomore year, he was credited with 110 tackles (11.5 for loss) and 1.5 sacks; as a junior, he racked up 86 tackles (with a team-leading 16 for loss), adding 6.5 sacks and six pass breakups. In his senior year, in which he earned All-Big East first-team honors, Moore notched 72 tackles (15.5 for loss), 7.5 sacks, and 11 pass breakups. As you can see, Moore totaled 268 tackles in three years as a starter for UConn, including a whopping 43 for a loss.

Despite this impressive production, Moore wasn't on draftniks radar until he distinguished himself in various post-season all-star games. After a strong showing at the East-West Shrine Game, Moore was a late invite to the more prestigious Senior Bowl, where he flashed in practices, leading Kevin Weidl of ESPN Scouts Inc. to report that "No 2013 draft prospect has helped himself more during the all-star process than" Moore. Following this, Moore blew up at the Combine, where he posted strong 40-yard dash (4.65) and jump marks (38-inch vertical and 10'7" broad), adding 4.31 20-yard shuttle and 7.49 second three-cone drill times.

As these numbers suggest, Moore is explosive and had excellent straight-line speed, but doesn't have the elite agility to match. As might be expected, therefore, scouts marvel at his burst and ability to get around the corner (he has 15+ sacks as a 4-3 OLB) but don't rave about his change of direction and ability to flip his hips in coverage. Let's take a look at what they're looking at. Here, thanks to the excellent gents at Draft Breakdown, he can be seen in Big East play against Temple, Louisville and Rutgers. And here he is in non-conference action against North Carolina State.

Now that you've formed an initial opinion of Moore's game, you're probably wondering what our panel of leading draftniks think of him. Lets take a looksee:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...owboys-2013-draft-targets-uconn-olb-sio-moore

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Have we actually met with him? I don't remember seeing anything.

RS12

Reaction score
Future;5045107 said:
Have we actually met with him? I don't remember seeing anything.

Visited VR last week. Could be the Derick Brooks to this version of MKs D.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I looked at this guy earlier in the year because of his Stats. I didn't see a whole lot of UConn so I spoke with a few people who have watched him more closely.

Long arms, good quickness and athleticism is what I hear about him. He's a bit undersized at 6'1", 245 put he probably fits best as a 34 OLB. The problem I have with him is that he is not very instinctive I'm told. He's not a very good tackler either. Misses a lot of tackles and doesn't deliver a blow when he makes tackles as much as you would like. Drag down tackler.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He lined up on 1 play in the Senior Bowl with his hand on the ground as a DE. It was a pass play and he split a double team block by Terron Armstead and the FB like a hot knife through butter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
xwalker;5045210 said:
He lined up on 1 play in the Senior Bowl with his hand on the ground as a DE. It was a pass play and he split a double team block by Terron Armstead and the FB like a hot knife through butter.

Not really surprised about that at all. His game actually translates much better to a 43 DE IMO. Less to adjust for at DE. Fewer keys and responsibilities then OLB. The problem is that he's 6'1" 245. I don't know that he could stand up to playing DE in the Pros. I think he might be too small and there isn't much room for him to grow. He would be a perfect fit for a scheme like the Colts. They like there DE's smaller like that.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5045225 said:
Not really surprised about that at all. His game actually translates much better to a 43 DE IMO. Less to adjust for at DE. Fewer keys and responsibilities then OLB. The problem is that he's 6'1" 245. I don't know that he could stand up to playing DE in the Pros. I think he might be too small and there isn't much room for him to grow. He would be a perfect fit for a scheme like the Colts. They like there DE's smaller like that.

Yup another Mathis

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;5045225 said:
The Colts used the smaller DEs in their variation of the Tampa-2. They switched to a 3-4 last year.

It is possible to have a smaller player at WDE in the Tampa-2. Bruce Irvin is about 245 lbs, but is a little taller at 6'2-1/2".

It wasn't a Tampa-2, but Dumerville played DE and he is only 5-11.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
xwalker;5045241 said:
The Colts used the smaller DEs in their variation of the Tampa-2. They switched to a 3-4 last year.

It is possible to have a smaller player at WDE in the Tampa-2. Bruce Irvin is about 245 lbs, but is a little taller at 6'2-1/2".

It wasn't a Tampa-2, but Dumerville played DE and he is only 5-11.

Well, I agree that smaller players can be used, for a time. However, there is always a concern that they will not last long in the NFL and most times, that's true. For this player, it's 100% about the scheme he gets drafted into as to how well he might be able to do. If you draft him low and get a few years out of him, then I think that's a good use of a pick but the problem with this guy is that he's not ready for prime time IMO. He still has a lot of development to go before he's ready to contribute in any big way and because of his size, I don't know that he will be able to do that. He may not last. All of the players you mentioned before, were better players then Moore, coming out IMO. All played against better competition and all had much more experience. I think that's a concern for Moore. Still, if you can get him late in the draft, he can probably contribute on STs etc. I would not take him any higher then the 5th round though. In this draft, there are going to be players that we can take in the 4th that have a decent chance of coming in and contributing much sooner. The 5th or later, I would consider him. That's just my opinion.