Cowboys 2015 Draft, Future Cap Edition: Gotta Follow The Money

waving monkey

Reaction score
Since 2011, when Jason Garrett first donned the head coaches' helm, the Cowboys have labored to get out from underneath a slew of bloated veteran contracts. In the 2011 offseason, they released veterans Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode, Marc Colombo, Marion Barber, Roy E. Williams. In 2012, they waved buh-bye to the likes of Kyle Kosier and Terence Newman. In 2013, it was Dan Connor and Gerald Sensabaugh. More recently, of course, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin were shown the door.

The players released had two things in common: a big contract and a declining skillset. The Garrett mantra, as has been well documented of late, has been to get younger and cheaper. What this requires, in an ideal world, is that the team draft a replacement before they get rid of the veteran who possesses the nasty big-money-declining skills combo. In turn, this requires that finding these younger replacements be a critical part of the team's draft strategy. And it appears that the Cowboys have been doing exactly that.

link/http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015...aft-future-cap-edition-gotta-follow-the-money

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I could see a CB being the pick in the 1st. Im actually expecting it to be a RB or CB at 27. In order of preference I think they would take Gurley, Gordon or Kevin Johnson at 27. I would take Marcus Peters at 27 ahead of Johnson, but I don't know if he will be there or on their board for that matter. I think LB is not going to be a RD 1 priority. They just brought in several LBs on pretty decent salaries and my expectation would be ine of them starts. Hardy fills the DE hole for now. I could see a very real scenario where 2 of the 1st 3 picks are on offense at RB and OT with a CB or DL being the other.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I think our biggest need is still clearly the defensive line. Hardy is going to be suspended so we need to have the depth there. Those 6 games he will be gone are going to be important.

I take a D-Lineman or a LBER all day- thats even if Gurley and Gordon are on the board.

Marcus Peters would be the only one I consider other than DL or LB.

ghst187

Reaction score
Marcus peters is an idiot, I think he will be lucky to beat Claibornes wonderlic score plus he has other issues, take KJ