News: Cowboys 2016 Draft: Myles Jack And Jaylon Smith - A Tale Of Two Knees

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys 2016 Draft: Myles Jack And Jaylon Smith - A Tale Of Two Knees
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...on-smith-scouting-combine-a-tale-of-two-knees

...It's very regrettable for Smith. Not many teams are going to spend a draft pick at any point just to redshirt a player for a year with no assurance he will ever be able to play. It is an illustration of just how cruel the game of football can be, and why many players elect to declare for the draft early even when they may stand to improve their draft value with another year in college.

So it looks like circumstances will keep Smith out of the equation for just about the entire league. Unless, perhaps, a team had a history of taking a risk, using a redshirt year to see if the player can recover, and had, say, a bunch of sixth-round picks to play with. While it may be a bit of a long shot for Smith to get to the sixth round, it is now possible that he may slide that far with his knee issues. And that might make him a target there for the Cowboys. It would not cost much to put him on IR for a year, and if he did recover, then he could become an absolute steal of the likes of La'el Collins.

That is just speculation, of course, and would depend on what the medical staff thought they found out about him. It would be rough for the young man, but that insurance policy would help take some of the financial sting out of things. It is just another thought to keep in the back of your mind as the draft slowly draws nearer.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Would you take a flyer on Smith if he reaches the 4th round? I sure would, and prepare for the immediate future...I would rehab him until his full ranges returned. He has great football instincts already.

jnday

Reaction score
Would you take a flyer on Smith if he reaches the 4th round? I sure would, and prepare for the immediate future...I would rehab him until his full ranges returned. He has great football instincts already.

Considering the lack of success at drafting past the second round, I would not mind them using a pick on him. My question about his knee is the long term ability for the knee to heal and fully recover . I can risk giving him a year to recover if he can return to form .

CWR

Reaction score

This is the type of move we would make. I think Bruce Carter was similar. Wasn't Sean Lee also hurt when we drafted him? I'm not certain of either, but it does seem we are alright with a redshirt year if the talent is there. Being at the beginning of the round put us in a good spot if we consider him at 3 or 4.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This is the type of move we would make. I think Bruce Carter was similar. Wasn't Sean Lee also hurt when we drafted him? I'm not certain of either, but it does seem we are alright with a redshirt year if the talent is there. Being at the beginning of the round put us in a good spot if we consider him at 3 or 4.

Lee and Carter had very minor injuries in comparison

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Smith will go as high as my team doctor says he should. I still think he goes in the third round.

RS12

Reaction score
Smith will go as high as my team doctor says he should. I still think he goes in the third round.

And who would know better than Dr Cooper.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
Lee and Carter had very minor injuries in comparison

Ok but didn't Carter miss the entire year? I suppose your point is that they drafted planning on having both guys ready for the season. If that is true maybe we aren't as patient as we'd need to be to draft Smith.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ok but didn't Carter miss the entire year? I suppose your point is that they drafted planning on having both guys ready for the season. If that is true maybe we aren't as patient as we'd need to be to draft Smith.

He played 10 games.

Do you not have Google in your neck of the woods?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Considering the lack of success at drafting past the second round, I would not mind them using a pick on him. My question about his knee is the long term ability for the knee to heal and fully recover . I can risk giving him a year to recover if he can return to form .

Lol, the Cowboys have dodged the bullet on Leary and his knees up until now.

btcutter

Reaction score
Lol, the Cowboys have dodged the bullet on Leary and his knees up until now.

Different issues. Nerve injuries are scary. You have no idea what the nerve is going to do. Not even the doctors can tell you how much recovery.

Honestly 4th round or later for me. Too bad for the kid. Hope he bought enough insurance.

CWR

Reaction score
He played 10 games.

Do you not have Google in your neck of the woods?

Ok so I tried this Google thing you speak of and discovered it was a torn acl Carter had in November. While the extent of his injurie may not have been as severe as Jack's, Id still consider him to have been a risky pick at the point we drafted. He may have played in 10 games but he was clearly still rehabing. He managed all of 5 tackles that season. Just to clarify earlier I was suggesting you eat a bag of donuts, because they are always a lovely snack. I think one of the mods may have thought I was referring to something else entirely. I guess if it's on the mind it's on the mind.

CWR

Reaction score
Would take smith at the top of the third.

Yes if the assumption is he will likely be himself after a redshirt year. When you think about the impact some of our other third round picks have had in recent years during thier rookie season it seems like we could manage. It would be like having and extra first round pick next year, and a top 5 one at that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ok so I tried this Google thing you speak of and discovered it was a torn acl Carter had in November. While the extent of his injurie may not have been as severe as Jack's, Id still consider him to have been a risky pick at the point we drafted. He may have played in 10 games but he was clearly still rehabing. He managed all of 5 tackles that season. Just to clarify earlier I was suggesting you eat a bag of donuts, because they are always a lovely snack. I think one of the mods may have thought I was referring to something else entirely. I guess if it's on the mind it's on the mind.

Carter was physically fine. He's terrible at the mental aspects of the game and rarely gives consistent effort. That's why he didn't see the field that year. We could have left him on NFI much longer if he wasn't o.k. physically. We did not.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

I probably would take a chance on him in the 4th, with the extra pick. Considering that his surgery was performed by the Cowboys' team Dr. and his brother is on the Cowboys team, why not.?

I wouldn't touch Jack in the first round, there more to that knee than what's being let out. A meniscus tear doesn't normally take 8 months to heal.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I probably would take a chance on him in the 4th, with the extra pick. Considering that his surgery was performed by the Cowboys' team Dr. and his brother is on the Cowboys team, why not.?

I wouldn't touch Jack in the first round, there more to that knee than what's being let out. A meniscus tear doesn't normally take 8 months to heal.

A pick for Smith in the 4th round, to this old fan, would be like Jerry signing up Collins last season...just not expected, but proud when it happens.

I just don't know about Jack. He is a real talent...and that information should be coming out shortly, for the rest of the story. Saun Lee and Jack would make the packages for Dallas very intensive, with the projection of addition to the secondary as well.

CWR

Reaction score
Carter was physically fine. He's terrible at the mental aspects of the game and rarely gives consistent effort. That's why he didn't see the field that year. We could have left him on NFI much longer if he wasn't o.k. physically. We did not.

He was still recovering. That is why we got him where we got him. I understand guys are coming back from ACLs faster now days, but even at that a complete recovery doesn't typically take place until the second season following the injury. Yes Carter could not handle the mental aspect of the game but that's not why he dropped. He dropped because he was 5 months removed from a torn ACL.

I was only stating we would take a talented player if the value was right even knowing he may not play that year. Carter is the closest most recent example I can think of. Do you not think we would draft Smith?