Cowboys 2020 draft: Pick 82 in third round might be sweet spot for defensive tackle

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys 2020 draft: Pick 82 in third round might be sweet spot for defensive tackle
*(not a bad approach to the draft)

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ound-might-be-sweet-spot-for-defensive-tackle

In our past two articles in the series, we gathered that the value in picks 17 and 51 both favor positions of need on defense such as edge rusher and cornerback. Well, it just so happens that the Cowboys might find more defensive value in the third round as well.

Pick 82 Analysis:

The Cowboys did a really a nice job covering their holes at defensive tackle when they used free agency to sign Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe. What that did was allow the Cowboys to avoid reaching for one early in the draft when they may not be in love with the options. Though the Cowboys can afford to wait on the position, their pick in the third round just might line up with the value on a few defensive tackles, making it a sweet spot to snag one.

Jordan Elliott, DT, Missouri
Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma
James Lynch, DT, Baylor
Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State
Leki Fotu, DT, Utah

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think Elliott and Gallimore go in the 2nd.

big fan of Davon Hamilton...love his size and his game...solid v run and can get after the QB...haven't heard if we interviewed him or not but he would be a great puck-up in the 3rd.

been playin with pff simulator and Alabama DT Raekwon Davis is in the 3rd...Id love him here as well...others have him in the 2nd.
we'll see.

i would double dip at both DT and CB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
One thing I've found in the mock drafts this year that I really don't know what to do in the 3rd.

In the 1st, there's normally one or two obvious players to pick. In the 2nd, you're generally trying to plug a hole that you didn't get to with your first rounder. With the 3rd? There's usually not a lot of players who'd be Day 1 starters at positions we need, so it just becomes "pick a guy you like". If a DT fits the value in the third? I'm cool with it.

Bigdog

Reaction score

big fan of Davon Hamilton...love his size and his game...solid v run and can get after the QB...haven't heard if we interviewed him or not but he would be a great puck-up in the 3rd.

been playin with pff simulator and Alabama DT Raekwon Davis is in the 3rd...Id love him here as well...others have him in the 2nd.
we'll see.

Same here. I have been playing with different draft simulators and Davis is always there in the 3rd. Love to get him or Hamilton.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

we'll see.

Would love Hamilton in the 3rd. Davis a good option also. I did 2 mocks but did not put either of them in at the time. As I did not want to put that much time and effort into them. LOL. But if I did another one, certainly would look at either one.

Gaede

Reaction score
I typically grab a WR, S, or edge player in round 3 with PFF's simulator

visionary

Reaction score
One thing I've found in the mock drafts this year that I really don't know what to do in the 3rd.

In the 1st, there's normally one or two obvious players to pick. In the 2nd, you're generally trying to plug a hole that you didn't get to with your first rounder. With the 3rd? There's usually not a lot of players who'd be Day 1 starters at positions we need, so it just becomes "pick a guy you like". If a DT fits the value in the third? I'm cool with it.

I agree with you about value in Rd 3. This is exactly why I would love to trade down in rd 1 to 20-25 and get an extra rd 3 pick