Cowboys 2020 roster projection

quickccc

Reaction score
With training camp date set for this week, it's time for projecting Cowboys 53 man roster for 2020;
We'll see several roster projections, but here's a look at my roster projection:
i'm still trying t figure out the new CBA rule with the 55 roster exempt.

Quarterbacks (2)
1 Prescott
2 Dalton

Running Backs (3)
3 ZKE
4 pollard
5 Sewo Olonilua

Tight Ends (3)
6 jarwin
7 bell
8 McCleon

Wide Receivers (6)
9 Cooper
10 Lamb
11 Gallup
12 D. smith
13 Ventell bryant
14 Cedrick Wilson/Johnson J.?

Offensive Line (9)
15 smith
16 williams
17 Biadasz
18 martin
19 collins
20 mcgovern
21 Irving
22 Looney
23 Knight

Defensive Line (10)
(DEs')
24 Dlaw
25 Aldon
26 crawford
27 gregory ?
28 anae

(DT)
29 McCoy
30 Poe
31 Gallimore
32 Woods
33 Hill

Linebackers (7)
34 LVE
35 J. Smith
36 Lee
37 Thomas
38 Gifford ?
39 March ?
40 St.Bernard Francis ?

Secondary (10)
(CBs- 6)
41 Brown
42 Diggs
43 Lewis
44 Robinson
45 Worley (CB/S)
46 CJ Goodwin ?

(Safety- 4)
47 Woods
48 Ha Ha Dixon
49 Awuzie (CB/S)
50 Wilson

Special team: (3)
51 - LS- Ladoucesaur
52 P- C. Jones
53 K - Zuerlein

Cowboyny

Reaction score
With training camp date set for this week, it's time for projecting Cowboys 53 man roster for 2020;
We'll see several roster projections, but here's a look at my roster projection:

Quarterbacks (2)
1 Prescott
2 Dalton

Running Backs (3)
3 ZKE
4 pollard
5 Sewo Olonilua

Tight Ends (3)
6 jarwin
7 bell
8 McCleon

Wide Receivers (6)
9 Cooper
10 Lamb
11 Gallup
12 D. smith
13 Ventell bryant

Offensive Line (9)
15 smith
16 williams
17 Biadasz
18 martin
19 collins
20 mcgovern
21 Irving
22 Looney
23 Knight

Defensive Line (10)
(DEs')
24 Dlaw
25 Aldon
26 crawford
27 gregory ?
28 anae

(DT)
29 McCoy
30 Poe
31 Gallimore
32 Woods
33 Hill

Linebackers (7)
34 LVE
35 J. Smith
36 Lee
37 Thomas
38 Gifford ?
39 March ?
40 St.Bernard Francis ?

Secondary (10)
(CBs- 6)
41 Brown
42 Diggs
43 Lewis
44 Robinson
45 Worley (CB/S)
46 CJ Goodwin ?

(Safety- 4)
47 Woods
48 Ha Ha Dixon
49 Awuzie (CB/S)
50 Wilson

51 - LS- Ladoucesaur
52 P- C. Jones
53 K - Zuerlein

Some interesting decisions, Shultz could be on the roster bubble. Thompson has experience playing both Safety positions and is a good special teamer, not my favorite player, but could find his way onto the roster. I think Wilson is probably the special teams guy kept, along with being the team's 5th receiver. Are they ready to give in the towel for Armstrong?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if they cut Dalton Schultz.

I'm not sold on DiNucci, but I hope they keep 3 QB. The team likes to go short there, but it will bite them in the *** eventually.

quickccc

Reaction score
Some interesting decisions, Shultz could be on the roster bubble. Thompson has experience playing both Safety positions and is a good special teamer, not my favorite player, but could find his way onto the roster. I think Wilson is probably the special teams guy kept, along with being the team's 5th receiver. Are they ready to give in the towel for Armstrong?

- with no OTA's limited camp and no preseason, there may not be a sound challenge to Scultz as he may make the 53 roster by default.

- with Armstrong- who would u cut listed ahead of Dorace in favor of keeping him on the 53 roster ?
McCarthy has mentioned 6 edge rushers and we are not gonna keep 7 DE's
ironically the hype that leads to Bradley Anae is what Armstrong was supposed to be coming outta Kansas as a 4th rd'er

- i hope Wilson is the 3rd safety and even emerges as a starter and playmaker
- If Awuzie and Worley can fill in at safety and play special teams, why would we need Darian Thompson who is mediocre in coverage ?
- i see a battle with the 6th CB with CJ Goodwin and Cannaday.

- i so wish someone else emerges as lead FB , and one that can replace March on the roster ; strictly a SP, whose very limited vs run
and pass.

- the previous regime really liked Andy Redmon, and Looney will be a FA next year, but could the new 55 men exempt kick in
to keep Redmon ? i'm not near a fan of Mitch Hyatt at all.

- Could we keep five WRs .. or six ?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- with no OTA's limited camp and no preseason, there may not be a sound challenge to Scultz as he may make the 53 roster by default.

- with Armstrong- who would u cut listed ahead of Dorace in favor of keeping him on the 53 roster ?
McCarthy has mentioned 6 edge rushers and we are not gonna keep 7 DE's
ironically the hype that leads to Bradley Anae is what Armstrong was supposed to be coming outta Kansas as a 4th rd'er

- i hope Wilson is the 3rd safety and even emerges as a starter and playmaker
- If Awuzie and Worley can fill in at safety and play special teams, why would we need Darian Thompson who is mediocre in coverage ?
- i see a battle with the 6th CB with CJ Goodwin and Cannaday.

- i so wish someone else emerges as lead FB , and one that can replace March on the roster ; strictly a SP, whose very limited vs run
and pass.

- the previous regime really liked Andy Redmon, and Looney will be a FA next year, but could the new 55 men exempt kick in
to keep Redmon ? i'm not near a fan of Mitch Hyatt at all.

- Could we keep five WRs .. or six ?

-I definitely see the team keeping 10 Defensive Backs. The likes of Worley, Awuzie, even Robinson have the position flex, may have them go short at the safety position. I believe it will come down to, which backup is the better special teams player.

-To keep Armstrong, we don't know about Gregory, but the team may go short at linebacker as their strong-side backer is going to be more of a hybrid DE. I could definitely see one of those young prospects on the 53 man roster: Armstrong, Jenks or Jackson in no particular order.

-I don't see the team carrying 6 receivers this year, unless injuries happen. We know the top 3, Wilson is a plus special teamer with return abilities, Devin Smith has that deep speed, will him not being a core special teamer force him off the roster?

Like your projection, let's see how it shakes out!

fivetwos

Reaction score
They arent cutting DiNucci, nor can they as much as expose him to waivers. He was drafted because of the strong UDFA interest.

Goodwin is gone. They have guys to replace him..and make the ST units much better.

At any rate, there is NO way there isnt some sort of VERY extensive PS this year....teams cant get a good look at guys plus they will need a huge reserve due to circumstance.

I think it may be a 12-15 player reserve pool. Maybe more.

The one year we dont have to sweat cuts.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Quarterbacks (2)
1 Prescott
2 Dalton

Running Backs (3)
3 ZKE
4 pollard
5 Sewo Olonilua

Tight Ends (3)
6 jarwin
7 bell
8 McCleon

Wide Receivers (6)
9 Cooper
10 Lamb
11 Gallup
12 D. smith
13 Ventell bryant

Offensive Line (9)
15 smith
16 williams
17 Biadasz
18 martin
19 collins
20 mcgovern
21 Irving
22 Looney
23 Knight

Defensive Line (10)
(DEs')
24 Dlaw
25 Aldon
26 crawford
27 gregory ?
28 anae

(DT)
29 McCoy
30 Poe
31 Gallimore
32 Woods
33 Hill

Linebackers (7)
34 LVE
35 J. Smith
36 Lee
37 Thomas
38 Gifford ?
39 March ?
40 St.Bernard Francis ?

Secondary (10)
(CBs- 6)
41 Brown
42 Diggs
43 Lewis
44 Robinson
45 Worley (CB/S)
46 CJ Goodwin ?

(Safety- 4)
47 Woods
48 Ha Ha Dixon
49 Awuzie (CB/S)
50 Wilson

51 - LS- Ladoucesaur
52 P- C. Jones
53 K - Zuerlein

kicker situation is odd, so we have kicker that didnt miss kick once he signed here and another had an OFF season injured and is now taking the job? this will be a battle and too bad we cant keep both because if Zurlein isnt "right" and has a Baily moment with bad stretch, we will be very upset at whomever made that decsions..and Jones , he needs competition IMO i hope they bring in a punter to push him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be a year where many of the UDFA's will not get a chance to make the 53. Teams will go with vet players, as they will know the routines.
Can't have too many rookie mistakes since there have been no practices and will be no PS games.

And now with the rosters possibly being only 80 for TC. that mean 10 players per team will be out there. Most of them will be UDFA's.

So bubble players, or who fans deem bubble players, such as Schultz, will be on the roster.
Same for the FB mentioned above, Olawale will be there over the other guy.

Also look for a lot more players on IR than before. Especially if they pass the 3 week deal, and not the normal 6 weeks.

quickccc

Reaction score
-I definitely see the team keeping 10 Defensive Backs. The likes of Worley, Awuzie, even Robinson have the position flex, may have them go short at the safety position. I believe it will come down to, which backup is the better special teams player.

-To keep Armstrong, we don't know about Gregory, but the team may go short at linebacker as their strong-side backer is going to be more of a hybrid DE. I could definitely see one of those young prospects on the 53 man roster: Armstrong, Jenks or Jackson in no particular order.

-I don't see the team carrying 6 receivers this year, unless injuries happen. We know the top 3, Wilson is a plus special teamer with return abilities, Devin Smith has that deep speed, will him not being a core special teamer force him off the roster?

Good Points.
When helping your special teams coach, (Fassel) you have to give him the more established, best graded special teams grader,
you have to provide him the top quality of special teams players.

- CJ Goodwin is easily in front as a downfield gunner on special teams, i often see him make the plays,
- Ventell Bryant is one while Joe Thomas is another one,
- Justin March is said to be a key special teams, but i hardly see his deeds - i can't stand him as a backup reserve
- Jeff Heath will be missed as he was a heckuva SP guy.
- We have " potential" special teamers, Robinson will be trained as a SP, but guys like Goodwin is already established
- Devin Smith also has a background as a gunner on special teams,

- LB depth; we have to have that. going on just six seems scary thin, especially when you already have two LBs that are injury prone
in Sean Lee and Joe Thomas, then what do we have after them ?
Gifford hasn't shaken the injury tag either , and then it comes down to justin march ? ... Yikes !!

- i can see why you could go thinner at 5 WR instead of six, but offensive coaches tend to like that lengthy depth
plus Ventell Bryant is seen as one of their top gunner coverage guys, while he is very average JAG as a WR,
his biggest asset is easily his SP play.

- Admittedly i'm skeptical with Cedrick Wilson and Jonvea Johnson as that 6th WR.
One guy has injury prone issues (Wilson) as well as questionable separation issues wile the other one has flaws in his
receiving game that negate his terrific speed traits, and offers nothing in SP.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are probably on track with this....just a few minor issues....

Schultz will get every opportunity to make this team since he was a 4th round selection but with the new staff.....may be a uphill battle if he doesn't show up.

I don't know how the new staff feels about Gifford but he was a pass rusher in college at times.....

I can't see Jelks, Armstrong and Jackson all being gone. Hell I'm not sure if all 3 don't make the team. Armstrong seems to always have rave reviews in practice and training camp so I expect the same this year. Jelks may be a PS candidate....Joe Jackson is another camp warrior.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Schultz will get every opportunity to make this team since he was a 4th round selection but with the new staff.....may be a uphill battle if he doesn't show up.

I don't know how the new staff feels about Gifford but he was a pass rusher in college at times.....

I can't see Jelks, Armstrong and Jackson all being gone. Hell I'm not sure if all 3 don't make the team. Armstrong seems to always have rave reviews in practice and training camp so I expect the same this year. Jelks may be a PS candidate....Joe Jackson is another camp warrior.

2 out of the 3 were rostered last year, where Jenks was snuck onto the injured reserve. You never know with a new staff, but you would think they aren't just going to give up on these developmental players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
2 out of the 3 were rostered last year, where Jenks was snuck onto the injured reserve. You never know with a new staff, but you would think they aren't just going to give up on these developmental players.
I surely wouldn't hope so but the dilemma is getting all these guys on the field. If they aren't going to play it makes no sense to roster them. I personally would think as of right now they have the slight edge on Anae except Jelks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good Points.
When helping your special teams coach, (Fassel) you have to give him the more established, best graded special teams grader,
you have to provide him the top quality of special teams players.

- CJ Goodwin is easily in front as a downfield gunner on special teams, i often see him make the plays,
- Ventell Bryant is one while Joe Thomas is another one,
- Justin March is said to be a key special teams, but i hardly see his deeds - i can't stand him as a backup reserve
- Jeff Heath will be missed as he was a heckuva SP guy.
- We have " potential" special teamers, Robinson will be trained as a SP, but guys like Goodwin is already established
- Devin Smith also has a background as a gunner on special teams,

- LB depth; we have to have that. going on just six seems scary thin, especially when you already have two LBs that are injury prone
in Sean Lee and Joe Thomas, then what do we have after them ?
Gifford hasn't shaken the injury tag either , and then it comes down to justin march ? ... Yikes !!

- i can see why you could go thinner at 5 WR instead of six, but offensive coaches tend to like that lengthy depth
plus Ventell Bryant is seen as one of their top gunner coverage guys, while he is very average JAG as a WR,
his biggest asset is easily his SP play.

- Admittedly i'm skeptical with Cedrick Wilson and Jonvea Johnson as that 6th WR.
One guy has injury prone issues (Wilson) as well as questionable separation issues wile the other one has flaws in his
receiving game that negate his terrific speed traits, and offers nothing in SP.

I think we are in agreement that the final spots will be more about keeping core special teamers. They lost two good ones in Heath/Frazier, perhaps some of our new draft picks will also add to the unit. A player like Goodwin, although not a sub-package player at all, is virtually a lock due to his special teams abilities. Canady is another who could excel in that area.

You maybe right about lack of depth at the LB position, there are just way too many injury prone players, they may have to add even more.

I would like to see Devin Smith on the roster, but the last staff decided he wasn't good enough on special teams to be an active player. Backups are going to have to be quality special teamers or they will only be used if injuries take place.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I surely wouldn't hope so but the dilemma is getting all these guys on the field. If they aren't going to play it makes no sense to roster them. I personally would think as of right now they have the slight edge on Anae except Jelks.

There is a ton of question marks about the position this year and beyond. These prospects have to force the staff to keep them on the roster and earn a spot in the rotation or they will become more PS Candidates subject to waivers.

quickccc

Reaction score

How many DEs are we gonna keep ? i projected five DE's; i don't see both Armstrong and Jackson on the roster.
- the addition of Gregory, Anea and Alden changes the previous dynamics of the previous numbers.
1 Dlaw
2 Crawford
3 Alden
4 gregory
5 Anae

i heard an early projection quote from McCarthy in him wanting 6 edge rushers and four DTs,..
that would sound premature, but if there's no preseason, that makes it more difficult for Hill to make the team, imo.
But i think we are gonna pay the price for being only 2 deep at backup DT with Woods's penchant for injury
-even as a backup. and that leaves Gallimore to be in a position to have to swing at both 3 tech and 1 tech.
Plus Hill is a 2nd rd pick who is seen as talented by McClay crew, and it will be unfair to cut him off zero preseason games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How many DEs are we gonna keep ? i projected five DE's; i don't see both Armstrong and Jackson on the roster.
- the addition of Gregory, Anea and Alden changes the previous dynamics of the previous numbers.
1 Dlaw
2 Crawford
3 Alden
4 gregory
5 Anae

i heard an early projection quote from McCarthy in him wanting 6 edge rushers and four DTs,..
that would sound premature, but if there's no preseason, that makes it more difficult for Hill to make the team, imo.
But i think we are gonna pay the price for being only 2 deep at backup DT with Woods's penchant for injury
-even as a backup. and that leaves Gallimore to be in a position to have to swing at both 3 tech and 1 tech.
Plus Hill is a 2nd rd pick who is seen as talented by McClay crew, and it will be unfair to cut him off zero preseason games.

Well the issue with this is that I'm not totally sure where to gauge Crawford, Gregory and Anae. If this was the old staff Crawford would be a lock. And I think McCarthy would want a veteran on that line. But if in camp there's no distinction between Crawford, Jackson and Armstrong? You'd have to keep the latter I would think. Anae is a rookie. I just don't know what to expect from him as a rookie. Gregory is another question mark.

Now if its up to me I have a open competition. Demarcus Lawrence is the only one I have confidence in.

mperfection

Reaction score
Quarterbacks (3)
1 Prescott
2 Dalton
3 DiNucci

Running Backs (4)
4 ZKE
5 pollard
6 Darius Anderson
7 Olawale (FB)

Tight Ends (3)
8 jarwin
9 bell
10 Shulrtz/McCleon

Wide Receivers (6)
11 Cooper
12 Lamb
13 Gallup
14 D. smith
15 (Punt returner - To Be Added)
16 Cedrick Wilson

Offensive Line (9)
17 smith
18 williams
19 Biadasz
20 martin
21 collins
22 mcgovern
23 Erving
24 Looney
25 Knight

Defensive Line (10)
(DEs')
26 Dlaw
27 Aldon
28 crawford
29 gregory ?
30 Anae
31 J. Clowney/E. Griffen

(DT)
32 McCoy
33 Poe
34 Gallimore
35 Woods/Hill

Linebackers (6)
36 LVE
37 J. Smith
38 Lee
39 Thomas
40 Gifford/St. Bernard Francis
41 March

Secondary (9)
(CBs- 5)
42 Brown
43 Diggs
44 Lewis
45 Robinson
46 Awuzie (CB/S)

Safety (4)
47 Woods
48 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
49 Jamal Adams
50 D. Wilson

51 - LS- Ladoucesaur
52 P- C. Jones
53 K - Zuerlein

quickccc

Reaction score
Quarterbacks (3)
1 Prescott
2 Dalton
3 DiNucci

Running Backs (4)
4 ZKE
5 pollard
6 Darius Anderson
7 Olawale (FB)

Tight Ends (3)
8 jarwin
9 bell
10 Shulrtz/McCleon

Wide Receivers (6)
11 Cooper
12 Lamb
13 Gallup
14 D. smith
15 (Punt returner - To Be Added)
16 Cedrick Wilson

Offensive Line (9)
17 smith
18 williams
19 Biadasz
20 martin
21 collins
22 mcgovern
23 Erving
24 Looney
25 Knight

Defensive Line (10)
(DEs')
26 Dlaw
27 Aldon
28 crawford
29 gregory ?
30 Anae
31 J. Clowney/E. Griffen

(DT)
32 McCoy
33 Poe
34 Gallimore
35 Woods/Hill

Linebackers (6)
36 LVE
37 J. Smith
38 Lee
39 Thomas
40 Gifford/St. Bernard Francis
41 March

Secondary (9)
(CBs- 5)
42 Brown
43 Diggs
44 Lewis
45 Robinson
46 Awuzie (CB/S)

Safety (4)
47 Woods
48 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
49 Jamal Adams
50 D. Wilson

51 - LS- Ladoucesaur
52 P- C. Jones
53 K - Zuerlein

Thanks for Sharing,. Very well thought out Roster.
And note how BOTH Jamal Adams and Clowney has been added to your roster ... :D