Video: Cowboys' 2023 NFL Draft BEST Pick and BIGGEST Steal I CBS Sports

J-man

Reaction score
I am both really shocked and happy that they went defense heavy early in the draft even though the offense is clearly in greater need of quality players. They made the strength, even stronger. Adding Mazi inside is huge, he's an instant upgrade in run defense. Fehoko is a fire breather who never stops coming and Overshown was my favorite pick. I really like this kid and think he's going to be a stud for us. Like they said he's a DQ type guy, he can run, cover, rush, hit and spy. He's another chess piece to this roaming swarming defense.

Carson

Reaction score
I am both really shocked and happy that they went defense heavy early in the draft even though the offense is clearly in greater need of quality players. They made the strength, even stronger. Adding Mazi inside is huge, he's an instant upgrade in run defense. Fehoko is a fire breather who never stops coming and Overshown was my favorite pick. I really like this kid and think he's going to be a stud for us. Like they said he's a DQ type guy, he can run, cover, rush, hit and spy. He's another chess piece to this roaming swarming defense.
I just don’t understand people thinking the offense wasn’t good predraft.

They needed an upgrade at TE, RB and LG

We realized they plan on Tyler Smith at LG, drafted Asim Richards as well. Schoonmaker should fit in nicely in the 12 personnel and we added pure speed and elusiveness with Deuce.

Cooks should do wonders for this offense as well

J-man

Reaction score

We realized they plan on Tyler Smith at LG, drafted Asim Richards as well. Schoonmaker should fit in nicely in the 12 personnel and we added pure speed and elusiveness with Deuce.

Seriously? This offense was and still is in dire need of upgrading.

Cooks helps, but he isn't the long term solution to making this a dynamic passing attack. Will Gallup return to his formally adequate form? Will Tolbert step up? Because as of now, he's a bust candidate.

LG was a huge hole. Most people don't want, never mind "realize" as you said, that Tyler is going back to LG. They want him to be the LT. Tyron's days are very numbered and they all know it. Moving 2 positions to fix 1 when he gets injured again isn't the best way to do things as evident last season with all their moving pieces and struggles. Starting Tyler at LT and Tyron at RT w/ Steele (coming off injury) as the swing is the best move for the line. But they need a LG for that. Will/can Richards fill that void? We'll see.

To me TE wasn't a huge need even after losing Shultz. They love Ferguson and Hendershot and they will see lots of p t. Passing on a stud LG in Torrence at 58, for a blocking TE in Schoonmaker instead probably comes back to bite them in the butt.

I love that they took Deuce, it's a great story and I think he can provide some real juice. But don't be fooled into thinking we're all set at RB. Who is going to be the bell cow? The inside pounder who can also stay home and block when asked to? That isn't Vaughn or Pollard!

phildadon86

Reaction score

Cooks helps, but he isn't the long term solution to making this a dynamic passing attack. Will Gallup return to his formally adequate form? Will Tolbert step up? Because as of now, he's a bust candidate.

LG was a huge hole. Most people don't want, never mind "realize" as you said, that Tyler is going back to LG. They want him to be the LT. Tyron's days are very numbered and they all know it. Moving 2 positions to fix 1 when he gets injured again isn't the best way to do things as evident last season with all their moving pieces and struggles. Starting Tyler at LT and Tyron at RT w/ Steele (coming off injury) as the swing is the best move for the line. But they need a LG for that. Will/can Richards fill that void? We'll see.

To me TE wasn't a huge need even after losing Shultz. They love Ferguson and Hendershot and they will see lots of p t. Passing on a stud LG in Torrence at 58, for a blocking TE in Schoonmaker instead probably comes back to bite them in the butt.

I love that they took Deuce, it's a great story and I think he can provide some real juice. But don't be fooled into thinking we're all set at RB. Who is going to be the bell cow? The inside pounder who can also stay home and block when asked to? That isn't Vaughn or Pollard!
If their plan is Tyler to go to LG and Tyron to play LT.

They are literally making the same mistake they did last year trusting Tyron to stay healthy and having to bring in Jason Peters when he went down.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Our front seven got better!

Could be. I felt with Hankins re-signing that our biggest need was finding a 3-tech who could consistently be disruptive in the backfield. When Kancey went off the board, I felt the possibility of us getting a monster 3-tech was pretty much gone (although we'll see how Bresee turns out), so I had no problem with the Mazi pick instead of shore up run defense and give us a player with the potential to be more than that.

I absolutely loved the Fehoko pick, though, because I think he's going to provide some interior pressure and develop into a 280-290-pound 3-tech. Like with Golston, it may take him a year to put on the weight needed to move inside full time, but I'm interested in seeing how his skills translate to the spot. Odig is a solid player at 3-tech. Golston showed some ability to contribute as a 5-tech/3-tech. Fehoko is the next interesting stab at finding that dominant player there.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If their plan is Tyler to go to LG and Tyron to play LT.

They are literally making the same mistake they did last year trusting Tyron to stay healthy and having to bring in Jason Peters when he went down.
To be fair, they didn't need to bring in Peters until Steele went down too.

There's no NFL team that can sustain injuries to both starting tackles. Dallas did it as well as anyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Can you promise me that Tyler Smith is the starting left guard? If so, I’ll feel a lot better.

:thumbup:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Calling Schoonmaker a blocking TE is insult to him.

They passed on Torrence for a reason. They didn't like his limitations. They wanted better blocking and you get that plus pass catching ability from Schoonmaker.

It's amazing to see how overvalued Torrence is in here. Funny how he was supposed to be first round talent yet almost lasted until the 3rd round before getting taken. It wasn't just the Cowboys who has questions about him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Loved all 3 front 7 draft picks. No question they got way better. Mazi and Fohoko will push scrubs off the roster and add plenty of needed juice.
He's not going to see many snaps so I don't know that he's going to add much juice. Unless they decide that he can be a better 3T in passrush situations than DLaw, it'll take a lot of injuries for him to see any signficant reps.

Carson

Reaction score

They can have Cooks for two years if they want. If he performs they keep him. Gallup is finally healthy .. most ACLs take two seasons for skill guys to be fully better.

They must believe in playing your best 5. Look, I wanted Torrence, Avila, Zavala etc. But you have to trust their plan here.

I don’t think they love Ferguson. If they were ready for him to be the guy we wouldn’t have been after Kincaid, LaPorta, Musgrave etc. Schoonmaker is solid at blocking and good on 3rd downs.

They also have Jones for short yardage, Davis for a bigger role and added Luepke.

I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying. Just countering what they may be thinking. This has been a top tier defense for many of years. They lost the weak links in Brown and Zeke.

phildadon86

Reaction score
To be fair, they didn't need to bring in Peters until Steele went down too.

There's no NFL team that can sustain injuries to both starting tackles. Dallas did it as well as anyone.
Peter’s was brought in well before Steele went down my man.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Tyler Smith is not moving from Tackle ......Chuma Edoga will be the LG until Asim Richards is ready.

Why do people still claim that Tyler Smith is moving back to guard when everyone in the Cowboys organization has stated differently?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fans forget we were ONE decent game by Dak from advancing to the NFCCG. This was with no Pollard and Lamb, Brown, and Hilton at WRs. Even with the offensive limitations, we still could have won the game if Dak hadn't picked the wrong game to lay an egg. We lost Shultz, Zeke, Brown, McGovern, and Hilton. Replacing Shultz is the biggest challenge and I think we have done that. The rest shouldn't be that hard......in other words, get some stability at LG, and we'll be fine.

ghst187

Reaction score

Agree. All these Defense picks better work out for the next few years because we are going to have to start doing the same on offense soon.
We lacked weapons last year and by my count we only added one in the off-season, Cooks, unless Vaughn turns into something.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They can have Cooks for two years if they want. If he performs they keep him. Gallup is finally healthy .. most ACLs take two seasons for skill guys to be fully better.

They must believe in playing your best 5. Look, I wanted Torrence, Avila, Zavala etc. But you have to trust their plan here.

I don’t think they love Ferguson. If they were ready for him to be the guy we wouldn’t have been after Kincaid, LaPorta, Musgrave etc. Schoonmaker is solid at blocking and good on 3rd downs.

They also have Jones for short yardage, Davis for a bigger role and added Luepke.

I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying. Just countering what they may be thinking. This has been a top tier defense for many of years. They lost the weak links in Brown and Zeke.
I don’t think that’s true at all. If you’re planning on being more run focused you need more depth at TE.

You’ve got Fergy. Then, Hendershot, who gets a lot of love (I think way more than what is actually warranted), but he is not a good blocker. Behind him is McKeon, whom I think is serviceable but replaceable.

Drafting Schoonmaker simply raises the talent level of the group.

I’d much rather be trotting out Fergy and Schoonmaker with regularity than I would pairing Fergy with Hendershot or McKeon.