Cowboys' 7 Most Frequent Pass Plays in 2018

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something about this doesn’t seem correct
We run more screens than any other pass play. That doesn’t sound correct to me
I think that is something that worries even the most unaware fan watching the games. The volume of called screens is noticible week-to-week.

John813

Reaction score
I enjoy Cover1 articles. In depth and on point with stats you can't find anywhere else(for free anyways)

Redline360

Reaction score
No surprise. Hell when numerous teams mock your offense scheme you think one would take a hint

1st down run play
3rd down and long check down pass

and repeat

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Garrett''s philosophy
If we lose, it’s because “the players didn’t beat the guy in front of them”, or “we just need to fight”. In my view, the players “fought” hard against the rams, but the rams had a far better game plan and scheme.

Watching the Cowboys offense this year was like watching a modern army trying to fight with bows and arrows against another army with guns and tanks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will, Jason Carrot

tenor.gif

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Something about this doesn’t seem correct
We run more screens than any other pass play. That doesn’t sound correct to me
Yea that seemed odd, but it's less than 4 attempts. I guess I could be convinced that they did it that often.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
How does this compare to other teams? Teams pretty much run the same or very similar plays.

Tyreek Hill is not open because of a genius play call but most likely because he has killer speed. Yes, the HC puts him in a position to succeed. But, Hill is open because he is blazing fast.

Sydla

Reaction score
How does this compare to other teams? Teams pretty much run the same or very similar plays.

Tyreek Hill is not open because of a genius play call but most likely because he has killer speed. Yes, the HC puts him in a position to succeed. But, Hill is open because he is blazing fast.

Reid is a much better coach and yes, they do things to get Hill the ball, open, in space.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good question. I’d also note that these most-frequently used plays total ~350 snaps or so. So, like a third of the offensive snaps in a season.

Also, I’d put this criticism, if it’s a criticism, on ‘play calling’ since it’s really very easily distinguishable from “coaching”. But that’s just me, not trying to paint every damn thing with the same brush, like a fool.

EDIT. I guess I should tone down that snark a bit. Adjusted for passing attempts, 350 is actually about 70% of the passing offense for a season.

Still, there’s variation here. And there are variations within the types of plays in these buckets as well. Not every screen is the same, etc.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
If we lose, it’s because “the players didn’t beat the guy in front of them”, or “we just need to fight”. In my view, the players “fought” hard against the rams, but the rams had a far better game plan and scheme.

Watching the Cowboys offense this year was like watching a modern army trying to fight with bows and arrows against another army with guns and tanks.
Exactly. I mean how are the Rams able to see our defensive players "tells" by studying film in one week of preperation, and our own coaching staff can't see them and they have film to study all year

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm guessing idgit and Dre?

I’d say this criticism goes more to Linehan and play calling, though it touches on the HC, too.

Like I always say in threads like this: predictability only matters if it affects production. And I look at production on a points/offensive series basis. Our offensive production was not great this year, even after the Amari trade. So criticism is warranted.

That’s not the same thing as saying we’ve got a bad HC. And you guys who think it is need to work on your critical thinking skills.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
How does this compare to other teams?
I would really like to know the answer to this question myself. Unfortunately, this kind of data is rarely collected for public use, so you have to dig around if you want anything more than a rough idea.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I look at production on a points/offensive series basis. Our offensive production was not great this year, even after the Amari trade. So criticism is warranted.
It was actually better than most would think, if you include all the games that counted (see sig).